08 CBR Cooling problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 CBR Cooling problem

my cbr600rr has about 18,000 miles on it just bought the bike, rode it a few times then noticed i had a leak from the radiator it had a hole in it not from any stones as it had no such marks patched it and noticed another hole appeared repeated that and another one so i bought another radiator rode itr and noticed i was running at high temps. in cruising speeds so i parked it. after a day or two i noticed coolant leak again another hole on the new radiator what could b the cause???

Last edited by Nico; 05-13-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
okay, this is easier to understand now.

you say the original radiator had a hole in it. does your new radiator have a hole in the SAME area? first thing I would do is look over the bike and make sure there isn't anything caught somewhere that is causing something to put holes in the radiator like loose parts or something of that nature. just a few questions, are your coolant lines in okay shape? what coolant have you used? is your thermostat turning on when it should? how large is the hole in the radiator right now? does it still hold in coolant and maintain SOME pressure? like I said pictures would help a lot.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

i dont know if my thermostat is working or not dont know how to check the new radiator has a whole as in the picture in my album . not in the same place as the first one all hoses look good but when i opened the radiator cap to add water to check where the hole was coming from it made a sound like your opening a bottle soda but jus a little softer.when i stopped the bike i could hear the coolant bubbling. i used the regular antifreeze coolant.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

busted radiator again

want to know what causes radiator to get a hole no stones or object made the hole bike ran and it got the hole without the fan coming on so the temps were really low but the first hole appeared after being parked. changed radiator rode it heard coolant bubbling parked it two days later i saw another hole in it what is causing this

Last edited by DepPravacion; 05-12-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: to post pics for OP
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Can you post up some pictures?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

posted it in my album
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator Send.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	20364  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Are you sure that there isn't somthing hitting it? Can you get a more detailed view and describe more accurately what the prior symptom was and what is going on?

It looks like something is hitting it for that to happen. Maybe you bent/broke something when you put it on?

Also.. the hole appeared while being parked (vandalism?)
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
def need a little more history. thats pretty strange.
at this point my guess is still FOD ( foreign objects, debris)

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

the first radiator did the same thing i noticed it rode hot when i stopped i heard coolant bubbling left it came back a while after and noticed a leak patched the leak turn it on again let it get to like 180- 200 and another hole came about coolant started to squirt pathed that and it did the same thing again bought a new radiator and put a guard on it and i rode the bike was running 200 and up at crusing speeds like 20 - 35 miles per hour and i smelled coolant parked it heard the coolant bubbling left it parked few days came back and noticed coolant leak opened the cap heard a little noise as if opening a soda bottle but a little softer and i poured water in to see where it was coming from found the hole the next day i add water to take a pic to get another radiator and found another hole a cell higher. already took it off sending it back to get another one as i thought it was a defect. i rode the bike a good week or two and when i stretced the bike is when the hole came about.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you were able to open the radiator cap while the coolant was hot enough to be boiling, and not get scalded, you're way low on coolant. Which could be because of the leak. But, might be that you didn't get all of the air out of the system when you changed the radiator, which could lead to overheating. Also, when you filled the radiator, did you fill it with a 50/50 (coolant/water) mix? If the coolant you bought was not pre-mixed 50/50, and you put it in without mixing adding water, could be contributing to running hot.

Took a look at the radiator pic. Is that the original radiator, or the replacement? If it's the replacement, was it new or a used/reman unit. Looks a little rough, but maybe it's just really dirty. I'll ask what may seem a stupid question, but are you sure you have a hole in the new radiator, and not a leak at the cap or a hose that is running down and dripping out where you see the coolant?

If you're sure it's a hole, and there is no evidence of an impact or physical damage, I'd go back to place where you got the radiator and ask about getting it replaced under warranty. Even used/reman parts sometimes come with a warranty, though usually a pretty short one.

Just took another look at the pic. Do you have a screen/guard in front of your radiator? Have you tried removing it to see if the improved airflow helps keep the temp in check? Is your fan coming on when temps climb. Don't remember the exact trigger temp for the fan, but am thinking it's between 220 and 230.

'09 CBR600RR - Phoenix (currently stock)
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bring it and have a mechanic do the install. You must be accidentally hitting the bracket or something when you install it. I don't see a way that it would hit the same spot exactly otherwise. That or you're being vandalized or have the worst luck possible with FOD.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

when i took of the cap was on the second radiator it was jus sitting there. its the replacement called the place they are exchanging it but i dont want to get the other one and the same thing happens. all hoses are good and i jus put the new radiator added coolant till it was full and thats all i did nothing else.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

If everything was in 1 thread it'd be a whole lot easier to help instead of 4 or 5 different ones.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

not debris had a guard on it didnt hit it while putting it in the hole came about like two weeks after i put it in i was riding it all that time until i stretched it. then i saw the hole.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Perhaps you have a leak elsewhere that is running down and dripping out there.. check to see if you have coolant anywhere else on the underside/frontside of motor.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

how do you delete threads to make it easier
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

You can't just change the title to Please Close so that we can all help on one single thread.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

none checked all hoses their connections radiator cap no leaks i dont know i it cause i just poured coolant and dats it did nothing else no fifty fifty mix nothing no burping nothing
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Only the mods can change the title of your threads.

Tasha
Phatty
Super Sic

FOR SALE

05/06 OEM Body Parts (Red/Black) Price Drophttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=468281
Track Day/ Race Gearhttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=470449
Leupold 1" Unimounthttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...66#post6155866
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

it seems like the only question you need to answer at this point is how you got a hole in the radiator. don't worry about anything else at this point, because the hole explains why the bike is overheating and not circulating. have you checked both sides of the radiator? is there anything at all that could have punctured through the fins that you can think of?
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

thast really strange if the hole was in the same spot on two different radiators. very odd.

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

have you been playing with a quigi board lately? is a demon haunting your machine:?

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepPravacion View Post
have you been playing with a quigi board lately? is a demon haunting your machine:?

Yeah, it's throwing me off too. The same spot....
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

yup i dont think its coincidence. OP your bike is cursed!

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
For it to happen in the same spot on two radiators without it being caused by mechanical damage would be so unlikely it may never occur... I would be looking for something hitting it.

Are there any marks on the bottom of the radiator?
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

the hole isnt in the same spot from the previous radiator there are no dings scratches dents or nothing of that nature on the radiator it had a guard on the radiator. where i keep my bike no way vandalsim could have bin the cause im think its back pressure ccause i never burped the cooling system didnt do 50/50 coolant/water. checked all hoses clamps over flow everything cant seem to see what it is. now on the first motorcycle after i patched the first hole i started the bike with fluids topped of not even five minutes i started it another whole appeared thats why i bought the second radiator and the same thing happened again.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebo_vi21 View Post
the hole isnt in the same spot from the previous radiator there are no dings scratches dents or nothing of that nature on the radiator it had a guard on the radiator. where i keep my bike no way vandalsim could have bin the cause im think its back pressure ccause i never burped the cooling system didnt do 50/50 coolant/water. checked all hoses clamps over flow everything cant seem to see what it is. now on the first motorcycle after i patched the first hole i started the bike with fluids topped of not even five minutes i started it another whole appeared thats why i bought the second radiator and the same thing happened again.

but there IS dings and dents in that radiator, look at the top right of the pic, there IS damage to it above where you are leaking from.

but the only way your going to damage a radiator with a hole like that, is going to be a mechanical impact

if it was over pressureization, the radiator cap would vent that, unless its so gummed up it cant....

how are you mounting this "guard" ?

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
+1 to tenjin.... the point of having a radiator cap is to control the system pressure, you can't over pressurise it if the cap is in reasonable nick. And I have never seen a broken one seal the system, in my experience when they fail they always leak

What type of coolant was in it before you changed it?
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
+1 to tenjin.... the point of having a radiator cap is to control the system pressure, you can't over pressurise it if the cap is in reasonable nick. And I have never seen a broken one seal the system, in my experience when they fail they always leak

What type of coolant was in it before you changed it?

exactly, 99.9999999% of the time, a bad cap means there is absolutly 0 pressure build up (which actually is bad, you want some pressure in the cooling system)

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

the lines thatcross trhe radiator doesnt have any holes its inside cause i check both sides and no dings or scratches if it was debris wouldnt it puncture on the front the guard had about half an inch away from the radiator. something is building to much pressure that the coolant bursts through the weakest part. mechanics here say that it might be the thermostat not working how it should. want to find out the problem its getting over bearing and i aint want to contiue changing the radiator. im checking over all hoses and everything. and one more thing when i took off the first radiator to change it the coolant that came out looked a light green and some was like white little chunks feeling like mushed bread.and on that same radiator it was running xtremely hot before the hole appeared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page