'06 RR, fuel gauge blinking empty, or fanning out - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 RR, fuel gauge blinking empty, or fanning out

I was told by the auction where I bought the bike that a new fuel pump was put in since the bike sat for 2 years. This could be related to the issue. I took off the front fairing and checked the plug at the gauge cluster, seemed firm.

I checked the resistance at the wiring harness per this thread => https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=221274 and it read 800ohms

I checked the resistance at the fuel pump wiring under the tank, and it also said 800ohms.

My new bike is in pieces, I'd really like to get out and ride it without worrying how much gas I have.

Thoughts?
trademarked is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
crash277's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Thanks: 4
Thanked 202 Times in 188 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademarked View Post
I was told by the auction where I bought the bike that a new fuel pump was put in since the bike sat for 2 years. This could be related to the issue. I took off the front fairing and checked the plug at the gauge cluster, seemed firm.

I checked the resistance at the wiring harness per this thread => https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=221274 and it read 800ohms

I checked the resistance at the fuel pump wiring under the tank, and it also said 800ohms.

My new bike is in pieces, I'd really like to get out and ride it without worrying how much gas I have.

Thoughts?
just fill it. set your trip meter. and drive about 200km. then fill it again and see how many L you put in it (compared to what the capacity is). fuel gauges are not really needed. i havnt owned a bike with one in years. and only ran out of fuel once.. i forgot to switch off reserve once LoL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
crash277 is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Training Wheel Hero
 
mastrobike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: gold coast australia
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had the same thing happen to an 03 i had a few years ago. It turned out to be a problem in the dash unit so honda replaced it under warrenty.
mastrobike is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
just fill it. set your trip meter. and drive about 200km. then fill it again and see how many L you put in it (compared to what the capacity is). fuel gauges are not really needed. i havnt owned a bike with one in years. and only ran out of fuel once.. i forgot to switch off reserve once LoL.
I figure it would be nice to have it working for when I want to sell it. I dont have any type of reserve now, so if I go on a long trip I'm going to get nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrobike View Post
I had the same thing happen to an 03 i had a few years ago. It turned out to be a problem in the dash unit so honda replaced it under warrenty.
I think my problem is actually in the tank, assuming the the post about resistances in the wiring is accurate.
trademarked is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
NewRedRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Montgomery, Al.
Posts: 11,433
Images: 24
Thanks: 47
Thanked 129 Times in 107 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Page 20-18 from the 03-04 service manual shows the flashing/strobing fuel gauge warning. This means there is a open circuit either in the PIN connector, the wiring harness, or the fuel gauge sensor itself. Check your 3P black PIN connector again. If that doesn't fix your problem you may have to pull the fuel pump and check the fuel gauge sensor.


NewRedRider is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Administrator
 
Nico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 13,137
Thanks: 135
Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademarked View Post
I was told by the auction where I bought the bike that a new fuel pump was put in since the bike sat for 2 years. This could be related to the issue. I took off the front fairing and checked the plug at the gauge cluster, seemed firm.

I checked the resistance at the wiring harness per this thread => https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=221274 and it read 800ohms

I checked the resistance at the fuel pump wiring under the tank, and it also said 800ohms.

My new bike is in pieces, I'd really like to get out and ride it without worrying how much gas I have.

Thoughts?
If you measured the resistance of the fuel sensor, not the harness, you simply need a new pump. And the auction house either lied to you or put in a dud part... I'm tipping the former.
Nico is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome