'06 RR, fuel gauge blinking empty, or fanning out - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 RR, fuel gauge blinking empty, or fanning out

I was told by the auction where I bought the bike that a new fuel pump was put in since the bike sat for 2 years. This could be related to the issue. I took off the front fairing and checked the plug at the gauge cluster, seemed firm.

I checked the resistance at the wiring harness per this thread => https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=221274 and it read 800ohms

I checked the resistance at the fuel pump wiring under the tank, and it also said 800ohms.

My new bike is in pieces, I'd really like to get out and ride it without worrying how much gas I have.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademarked View Post
I was told by the auction where I bought the bike that a new fuel pump was put in since the bike sat for 2 years. This could be related to the issue. I took off the front fairing and checked the plug at the gauge cluster, seemed firm.

I checked the resistance at the wiring harness per this thread => https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=221274 and it read 800ohms

I checked the resistance at the fuel pump wiring under the tank, and it also said 800ohms.

My new bike is in pieces, I'd really like to get out and ride it without worrying how much gas I have.

Thoughts?
just fill it. set your trip meter. and drive about 200km. then fill it again and see how many L you put in it (compared to what the capacity is). fuel gauges are not really needed. i havnt owned a bike with one in years. and only ran out of fuel once.. i forgot to switch off reserve once LoL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I had the same thing happen to an 03 i had a few years ago. It turned out to be a problem in the dash unit so honda replaced it under warrenty.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
just fill it. set your trip meter. and drive about 200km. then fill it again and see how many L you put in it (compared to what the capacity is). fuel gauges are not really needed. i havnt owned a bike with one in years. and only ran out of fuel once.. i forgot to switch off reserve once LoL.
I figure it would be nice to have it working for when I want to sell it. I dont have any type of reserve now, so if I go on a long trip I'm going to get nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrobike View Post
I had the same thing happen to an 03 i had a few years ago. It turned out to be a problem in the dash unit so honda replaced it under warrenty.
I think my problem is actually in the tank, assuming the the post about resistances in the wiring is accurate.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Page 20-18 from the 03-04 service manual shows the flashing/strobing fuel gauge warning. This means there is a open circuit either in the PIN connector, the wiring harness, or the fuel gauge sensor itself. Check your 3P black PIN connector again. If that doesn't fix your problem you may have to pull the fuel pump and check the fuel gauge sensor.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademarked View Post

Thoughts?
If you measured the resistance of the fuel sensor, not the harness, you simply need a new pump. And the auction house either lied to you or put in a dud part... I'm tipping the former.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page