trouble starting... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
trouble starting...

so my friend asked me to help him with his girlfriend's(whose on deployment) 03cbr, since i feel somewhat comfortable tearing down it down after doing it on my 05...

the whole point was to overhaul the bike and do all things that prob have never been done to the bike...

the bike however was having troubles starting before this, this is the story i got from him...

the bike worked fine one day, but as he was getting on a on ramp and down shifting to merge(the on/off ramps exists in about the same 100 feet here). He went from 5 to 4, to 3, and it was hard form him to shift into 3rd, upon which the bike died electrically and just coasted from there.

he couldnt get the bike to start and called another freind who ended up cutting the kickstand /nuetral position wires(dont ask me why) but they jumped the bike and got it to run. but from what i understand now it wont start with out jumping and then it wont stay running...

so im thinking its a bad rectifier/regulator

at the same time im half expecting to find a ground as the previous owner did a major hack job on the electrical of this bike installing HIDs(previous owner even cut a section of the wiring harnesses cover out and then covered in a plastic notebook cover and taped it back up)

another question is regarding the spark plugs that we replaced. they were definitely oil fouled( though im not sure it could just be gas residue??) and the thottle valves(if thats what you call them) didnt look the best in the world... ill be taking more pics of everything tonight.

so any advice...?

Last edited by jpreinvented; 07-22-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

pic

disregard x-ray pic

Last edited by jpreinvented; 07-22-2012 at 11:15 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM
infinate719

This is form Nico from another thread on how to test the rectifier. They probably cut the kick stand harness because they thought it was shorting out. I was on a nice ride and my throttle was all over the place and then my bike just dies...it ended up being my kickstand harness shorting out. I did just what they did and it fixed it. You already replaced the plugs? The residue was probably from trying to start it multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
its on the left hand side just in front of the stator cover. Silver box about 4" square by 3/4" deep...

To check it measure the DC voltage across the battery at 5k rpm with the high beams on, it should be below 15.5V and around 14V ish. Then measure the AC voltage, you don't want to see much here.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

hmm thanks for the insight... hopefully well have a volt meter tonight and we can test it. didnt know how i would have tested it with out knowing what i was looking for
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
haha look at that.... I make it into threads without even realising it!

Have a look at the r/r mate, then have a look at the yellow ground box on the left hand side just blow the riders seat (could be taped into the harness as well) , lots of green wires going into it... just make sure that there isn't any corrosion or anything in there....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page