Speedo needle fix? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Speedo needle fix?

Someone has to know, I know, I could not find it on the search. Long story short, as you all know last time my front tire blew up at the track, so the whole team went down, afterwards the speedometer needle, the one for the rpms goes crazy when you start up the bike. If it is on a good mood, it does the initial check, sends the needle around and comes back to zero, if not, sends the needle a bit on the opposite direction, does the check, and lands on 3k rpm, if you run the bike, it will work, as if the 3k rpm was the 1k rpm, if you shut it off, and then back on, it does the same but may land on a different rpm number, like 9k, and so on after it may land on zero and then you are ok like if nothing happened.

I took it apart thinking that it may have a piece that balance the needle or something, but just found a circuit board, that is all it is, so I have no clue how to fix it.

Any thoughts, ideas, I just do not know, and have not google it so far :), thought of coming here first.

By the way, I just got a new pipe from (the Bostrom brothers) I think it was, it is a close out, 109 free shipping, my buddy just install it today, mine is coming next week, awesome pipe. Please admins and mods, let me know if I can post the link, the site is pony something, I got it on my email, but I am not sure if I can post those here.

Thank you all, any thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I kinda had an issue like that when i was changing the leds in the gauge, but I just kept pulling it out and putting it in lightly

it finally calibrated itself correctly, sorry if that doesnt help much..

--
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Knee Dragger

Have you pulled the needle off of the gauge cluster yet? Sounds like the needle might be slipping on the shaft that controls the tachometer. Also, if you try to move the tach needle by hand does it seem to spin freely of is there some drag/friction? If the needle moves freely then it is slipping. There should be some resistance to it when spinning around the tach range. If you try to pull the needle out of the cluster it should be a pita. If it comes out easy then check the base of the needle that goes below the face of the gauge and look for cranks or something like that.

It sounds like your needle might slip on the tach rpm motor and then get stuck again. That is the only reason I can think if that your idle rpm would change that much.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Training Wheel Hero

take the speedo apart and look at the four solder pins and the mounts and make sure they are all good. You actually may not even notice the pins being broken till you un solder them. I did the led mod and didn't install the stepper motor to the board good enough. That caused my solder joints and pins to break. I would unsolder the stepper and re solder it and try that.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Have not checked the threads in a while, good info guys, I will check as suggested, I took it apart about a week ago, but did not see anything unusual, i will check for the solder pins. Also the needle does not move freely, there is drag/friction as you mentioned.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can post a link as long as you are not affiliated with the company. Passing good deals along to other riders is what we are here for.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Knee Dragger

so I've been having problems with my tach needle as well. when i push the needle gently around it seems to jump in uneven increments instead of having a continuous resistance across the whole circle. i pulled the needle and nothing seemed out of sorts. and when i put it back in i think i made it worse... doh! when the initial calibration happens it'll jitter around like crazy and stop at some random place (which will then be the new 0rpm). while riding it roughly increases and decreases at the correct rate, but also is very jittery when it moves. I'm thinking could it be the stepper motor is bad or something? I'm guessing no one sells those separately, huh? any other ideas/suggestions?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I work for a speedometer Company called UsSpeedo. We just ordered the motor for these clusters because I heard about some of the failures including mine. I've fixed mine by resoldering the connections but from my experience if you take the needle off the stem comes with it and it's no good after that. I will have the motors in a few weeks and can replace them for you. I will have to check with the owner and see how much were going to charge as the motors aren't cheap and I had to buy 2500 of them.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Last edited by Rayray475; 05-26-2012 at 06:31 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Knee Dragger

Cool Ray, let me know when you get them in! Is there anyway I could just order a motor? I'd like to install it myself. And are they the same for all models? I got an '03. Also, so your saying that the needle isn't supposed to come out of the motor? I'm guessing then that the tach pointer is supposed to come off the metal post, right. definitely didn't happen for me. Hehe. Thanks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sorry i didn't catch the year. Yea the metal stem is not supposed to come out. Usually Ruins the motor. I don't know if the motor is the same or not on the older one. Take some pics of it for me if you can. If its the same and you shipped me the whole cluster I could cut you a deal on the repair for using your cluster for development of a gauge face.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page