Trouble Shooting New Headlights!!! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trouble Shooting New Headlights!!!

I recently purchased Bi-Xenon Projectors, 55 Watt 5,000k HIDs, SMT LED 3rd Eye Upgrade, Red CCFL Angel Eyes, Red "Audi Style" LEDs & the reflectors as well as projectors have been "blacked out". The problem that I am having is that my battery will not support the amperage that the projectors need to "fire up" they will flick on for a split second then shut off. I have contacted the maker and talked about what was wrong. He stated that I have either a bad ground or battery, due to it takes more amperage to turn the light on than to run them. I checked and made sure I have solid grounds, and replaced my battery. I tested the lights with the new battery. The first try they flick on for a split second (while the bike is running) and shut off. The second try (turned bike off and turned bike back on) I flipped switch and lights turned on. SO I turned bike off and then proceeded to retry to make sure, and battery was dead. Bike would not start and had to throw battery on trickle charger. I have been trouble shooting for a few days the only thing I can come up with is either my stator is bad or I need to get a higher Amperage Battery?????

Here is what my bike is running:
Power Commander
Flush Mount LED Turn signals
Integrated Rear Tail Light/Signal
and then the electrical system for the bike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7177.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	20544   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0045.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	20545  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A higher amperage battery will do you no good, you just need to stop starting the lights then starting your bike.

The reason they wont arc properly is because once they have turned on the temperature and pressure inside the globe itself increases significantly making it MUCH harder for the ballast to ignite the globe.

You can put in a time delay relay, or if your game feel free to check out the link in my sig :)

If your desperate, you can just hold the starter down then turn the key on, the bike will turn over right away and the globes wont turn on first. I wouldn't reccomend doing this for to long though cause I don't really know what kind of effect it may have on the bike long term.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I had a switch integrated in the lights so I manually turn the projectors on and off. I start the bike every time with the projectors off... Once the bike is running the I try to turn the lights on? Could that be a bad ground? I have both wires running directly to the frame.. So I am a little lost on with the real problem is.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 04:22 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueracer View Post
I had a switch integrated in the lights so I manually turn the projectors on and off. I start the bike every time with the projectors off... Once the bike is running the I try to turn the lights on? Could that be a bad ground? I have both wires running directly to the frame.. So I am a little lost on with the real problem is.
Just a random suggestion but try to connect it to a solid source instead of the frame. The frame could pose too much resistance which may affect the current that you need to power it on.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I ended up tearing the entire bike a part re-wired it and soldered a longer ground to the existing ground. I then wired the ground to the battery and it ended up working. Then threw everything back together. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't work. I am not sure what the other things it could be?? Everything is wired clean and tight. Just not sure if now it is the battery can handle it or what? Any ideas..haha
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Have you had a look at your charging system? You may find that your r/r is on the way out / dead.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

How would I check my charging system? (Stator)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Administrator

With the high beam on, rev the bike to 5000rpm and measure the voltage at the battery, you want to see about 14.4V but less than 15.5V
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i agree, you should put a designated switch for the HIDs.
That what I did and most other people are doing as well. That of the delay relay.

check my sig if you need a diagram

--
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
A higher amperage battery will do you no good, you just need to stop starting the lights then starting your bike.

The reason they wont arc properly is because once they have turned on the temperature and pressure inside the globe itself increases significantly making it MUCH harder for the ballast to ignite the globe.

You can put in a time delay relay, or if your game feel free to check out the link in my sig :)

If your desperate, you can just hold the starter down then turn the key on, the bike will turn over right away and the globes wont turn on first. I wouldn't reccomend doing this for to long though cause I don't really know what kind of effect it may have on the bike long term.
there is another way!

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=121781

just no clutch pulling when starting, lights come on with stand up or clutch in ;)

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the help guys, I bought a Multimeter and tested the charging system. Battery read 12.81V before start up. After start up battery read 14.18V, I flipped the switch and it dropped to 13.58V and jumped back up to 14.00V, and the lights flashed on and off. So I am thinking that it is a bad solder in the ground?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Have you had a look at your charging system? You may find that your r/r is on the way out / dead.
What is with you and the R/R? I have never since july 24th 2003 never seen any problem with R/R on a 600RR...Replace your battery....been covered many times and also seen it myself on my 03.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofiep007 View Post
What is with you and the R/R? I have never since july 24th 2003 never seen any problem with R/R on a 600RR...Replace your battery....been covered many times and also seen it myself on my 03.
I'm not saying replace it - I'm saying check it...

I've had a number of them go on various cars / bikes and just don't trust the buggers. Not a hard thing to check, and free... makes it worthwhile doing.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The HID's aren't the problem and adding a switch will only mask what's really happening. I've run multiple HID systems including 600RR's and have NEVER had an issue not using an extra switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page