Gas leaking when running - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gas leaking when running

I recently crashed my 08 at the track and I'm rebuilding it.

I replaced the throttle cables today and in the process of getting the second cable hooked up, I removed my fuel rail line (injectors and all).

I put everything back together and started her up. I noticed gas dripping from the bike. I looked under the tank and it was dry. I pulled the airbox back out and noticed some gas on one of the injectors. I'm thinking one of the o-rings got destroyed when putting the injectors and fuel rail back on.

I'd like to start the bike without the airbox on so I can look for leaks.

#1 - Will this be ok?
#2 - Is there anything I have to have plugged in? At this point the airbox is completely out, so the top fuel rail is out and nothing is plugged in. I'm guessing I have to plug the FI unit back back in.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A safer way would be to disconnect the battery. Raise the tank and run a 12v+ and a ground directly from the battery to the 3-PIN fuel connector. My '04 service manual shows Y/R as 12v+ and Bl/W as ground. You will need someone with an '08 SM to confirm the color code is the same.

Take a rag and clean up as much gas as you can and then let the rest evaporate. All your going to do is run the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel rail and find the leak.

Are you sure you got all the O-rings in the correct place? My '04 SM does show new O-rings but I just pulled and cleaned my injectors without replacing them.

Did you get the "sealing nut" washers on each side of the fuel line? This is the fuel line serving the lower injectors.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
And you'll need to put the airbox and upper injectors back in....

One second thought, Have you pulled the suspect injector and looked at the O-rings?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
pull the injector, look at the rings

running the bike with the air box open wont kill it, but it does introduce the added potential of something that's not supposed to go into the motor to go in ...

if you find a nick or cut in the orings, you can replace them, you might be lucky and be able to get them from some place like napa, autozone, pepboys or something to that effect.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Oh and don't light a cigarette.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider View Post
A safer way would be to disconnect the battery. Raise the tank and run a 12v+ and a ground directly from the battery to the 3-PIN fuel connector. My '04 service manual shows Y/R as 12v+ and Bl/W as ground. You will need someone with an '08 SM to confirm the color code is the same.

Take a rag and clean up as much gas as you can and then let the rest evaporate. All your going to do is run the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel rail and find the leak.

Are you sure you got all the O-rings in the correct place? My '04 SM does show new O-rings but I just pulled and cleaned my injectors without replacing them.

Did you get the "sealing nut" washers on each side of the fuel line? This is the fuel line serving the lower injectors.
Thanks.

When you refer to the fuel connector, are you referring to the connector on the fuel pump? On an 08 there's two 2-pin connectors. One is the fuel level and the other is it's power/ground. I'm guessing when 12v is high, the fuel pump runs? So by feeding 12v to the connector on the pump, the pump will constantly run?

I pulled the injector that had a bunch of gas on it and the o-ring isn't chewed up, but it is twisted. The other injectors rotate smoothly in the rail, this one did not. I ordered some new ones and before zipping everything back up, I'd like to test it with the airbox off. I'm tired of taking that box on and off.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpt View Post
Thanks.

When you refer to the fuel connector, are you referring to the connector on the fuel pump? On an 08 there's two 2-pin connectors. One is the fuel level and the other is it's power/ground. I'm guessing when 12v is high, the fuel pump runs? So by feeding 12v to the connector on the pump, the pump will constantly run?

I pulled the injector that had a bunch of gas on it and the o-ring isn't chewed up, but it is twisted. The other injectors rotate smoothly in the rail, this one did not. I ordered some new ones and before zipping everything back up, I'd like to test it with the airbox off. I'm tired of taking that box on and off.

going to be hard with the airbox fully off

but you can have the top part of the box off ... its its built like the 06's its a three part airbox, the very top can be off, and you can view the injector base through there .. and if you hit 50+%+ throttle and over 5500 rpm you can watch the injected fire off..

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would avoid introducing atomised fuel to your work area while you can... its really not that safe to do.

I would be pulling that injector and replacing its o-ring first, if that's where its leaking from then there is only one solution.

You can run the fuel pump up though... green wire is ground and the brown wire gets the 12V. Just do it with the bike off.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpt View Post
Thanks.

Yes...All you're doing is using the fuel pump to pressurize the rails so you can check for leaks.

I pulled the injector that had a bunch of gas on it and the o-ring isn't chewed up, but it is twisted. The other injectors rotate smoothly in the rail, this one did not. I ordered some new ones and before zipping everything back up, I'd like to test it with the airbox off. I'm tired of taking that box on and off.[/QUOTE]Like Nico said just replace the suspect O-ring(s) and then retest. You need to make damn sure you have no fuel leaks before you try and run the bike. So you may have to take that airbox off/on a couple more times but that's still better then sitting on the side of the road watching your bike burn to the ground.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page