06 RR having electrical issues? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 RR having electrical issues?

So when I first got the bike the fuel gauge didn't work. I had been told it sat for a couple of years. (only had 1200 miles on it though). It ran strong once I got it started up, but the gas gauge would usually read empty, or sometimes do the fanning thing that it can do. I checked the wiring as instructed in a previous post... cluster was tight, but the resistance in the wiring that should have read 20-120ohm read 800ohm.

Now, I haven't had time to pull the fuel pump to poke and prod it, but in the mean time the bike overheated on the highway and blew white smoke everywhere. It seems the bike had been overfilled with oil. I let it cool and limped home, changed the oil, and added some water to the coolant overflow. The bike runs good, but when it sits still it gets up to 250* and the fan doesnt come on. (It used to). Also, the turn signals stopped working entirely about a week ago.

Can any of this be related? I think I just want to give this bike away lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A few things:

1. Large quantities of white smoke out the exhaust would indicate a blown head gasket.
2. You shouldn't be allowing the bike to get that hot.
3. Have you been checking the cooling system itself and not just the overflow?

and yes, its probably about time for you to sell the bike because unless you have some mechanical aptitude and experience it will be quite expensive to repair.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
A few things:

1. Large quantities of white smoke out the exhaust would indicate a blown head gasket.
2. You shouldn't be allowing the bike to get that hot.
3. Have you been checking the cooling system itself and not just the overflow?

and yes, its probably about time for you to sell the bike because unless you have some mechanical aptitude and experience it will be quite expensive to repair.
1. I took it out on the highway 2 days ago and ran it through the gears. There was no smoke and it ran 100%.
2. I only let it get to 250* when it was standing still to see when/if the fan would come on, and as soon as the temp blinked I shut it down.
3. What about the cooling system would you suggest checking?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The fact that it blew white smoke at all is quite worrying.

Just open up the cap and check the level and colour of the coolant, if it starts dropping after each run you definitely have a problem on your hands. You also don't want to see any milkyness in it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hopefully you just mistook grey smoke for white smoke. Like Nico said, you don't want to see white smoke.

White = water
Grey = Oil
Black = Fuel

Check your oil level window and make sure you don't have any water in the oil. If you do your oil will be grey. If your oil looks good then you need to run 12v+ to the Fan and see if it works. If it does you could have a bad fan relay.

Not sure how long it's taking your bike to get to 250 but I would burp the coolant system to make sure there is no air.

Do you have OEM blinkers? Check your fuses. Check all your PIN connectors.

The fuel gauge could be bad, it could be stuck, or the PIN connector could be loose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page