bike dies at idle..... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bike dies at idle.....

I cant seem to find a thread about bike dying while at idle and my idle is at 1500RPM,

bike info:
2003 CBR600RR
35000 km
K&N Filter
Micron s/o

i never had this problem before, until i was messing around with the idle adjustment, but im sure its normal since its idleing at 1500rpm, it never dies while im riding, only happens during at stop. sometimes in 1st gear when im about to let go of the clutch..

when the bike dies it doesnt struggle or anything just dies, the idle doesnt even go down it just dies at 1500rpm..gauges dont reset it just stays on. oil light comes on and stays on for about 2secs? then goes away, i start bike with no problem, so yes the bike dies at random temps. but never below 80C (176F).

i do have old oil there..prolly have 4500k on it now =/ could that be the reason? battery is fine its new. bike starts everyime it shuts off. even if it has reached 106c.

HELP ME! should i make the idle higher! =/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Training Wheel Hero

i had a problem similar to this with my 05rr and found out that my antifreez was low. with that said i put some destilled water in the radiator and it has not did it since. the only time my bike would do this is when it was over 215F
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You should be idling at 1300 +/-100 rpm... so I would decrease it if anything.

Your oil shouldn't be doing it.

I would start by checking the PAIR valve, then the MAP sensor.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

@MidniteRR: but my coolant is full in the radiator,(i think anyways) and the coolant reservoir is just a tiny bit below the FULL LINE or sometimes it goes above the FULL LINE which i find weird after a ride, it reduces from time to time then i get it all back =/..

@NICO: i will try reducing it to that idle how do get to the PAIR valve? and what should i be checking for? and what about the MAP sensor?

thank you again.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Administrator

Liquids expand when heated, that's why it gets fuller.

Have a look at this PAIR valve removal thread, you will need block off plates if you want to remove it permanently, but they aren't expensive.
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=168221

Once you have the valve out (top of pic) you will see three pipes:

To test it unplug and remove it from the bike then measure the resistance of the solenoid coil, it should be between 20 and 24 ohms.

Next try blowing air from the long pipe through to the shorter ones, no air should come out.

Now apply power (12V from the battery is just fine) to the solenoid (polarity doesn't matter) and try blowing again, this time air should be able to flow freely to both of the short pipes.

If all that goes well then the valve is fine and can be reinstalled...

Next thing to check that system out is to leave the solenoid unplugged, but everything else installed correctly. With this done start the bike up and see how she idles, if its all good your ecu is opening the PAIR valve when it shouldn't be. If its still stalling then you will need to plug the PAIR valve back in.

After all that I would be checking the ignition timing, which should be 15 degrees BTDC (F mark).... and the hard part is that this is at idle, however you should be able to see it either advancing or retarding way to much to run if the timing is out.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

How do i know if this PAIR valve is causing my problem? i have not done the PAIR valve procedure yet, but earlier i started my bike let it warm up (when the temp shows) before i took off....it was idling fine around 1400-1300rpm...put her in 1st gear, then all the sudden dies? and when i started her again, the idle was fluctuating between 800-200rpm?? and then i rook off when that idle setting, eventually the idle when up to 1500rpm after riding and then 5 minutes into my ride, i come into a stop put her in neutral...it just dies again? i start her up she starts fine...wtf!? its starting to really piss me off...lol still love the bike but still...anyways i have not changed the spark plugs yet but last time i checked them they were still ok. it does this at almost every frikkin stop! even if i keep her in 1st gear, it'll still die. i have check the battery connections and their tightly on. is there maybe a fuse that can cause this? i think no. anyways thanks again in advance.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Administrator

If what I wrote above all checks out then its not your problem... but its free to check so why not?

I think you may find that it's sticking open at times, meaning you will get a leaner mixture than you should be making your bike stall.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

will a pC3 usb fix it? its doing it at almost every stop now, only after the thermostat opens up though..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Administrator

What temp is the gauge reading when it stops? Is it always the same?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

sometimes, i know for sure its above 80c i've seen it stall at 104c, 95c, after the thermostats opens at 85c thats when it occurs...oh forgot to say my bike use to overheat soo fast!!!!, found out that there was no coolant going into the radiator! Fml! But that was fixed when i burped the system and squeezed on all the hoses now its running at right temps =D but then i started having shutdown issues =\
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

sometimes, i know for sure its above 80c i've seen it stall at 104c, 95c, after the thermostats opens at 85c thats when it occurs...oh forgot to say my bike use to overheat soo fast!!!!, found out that there was no coolant going into the radiator! Fml! But that was fixed when i burped the system and squeezed on all the hoses now its running at right temps =D but then i started having shutdown issues =\
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 AM
Administrator

You may have an issue with the temp feed to the ecu, the bike will get shut down when it reaches a specific temp (can't remember what it is though)

I would measure the resistance of the harness from the ECT to the ECU an see what you get. After that, if you happen to have access to an ecu that you can try out do that - don't buy one though cause its only a chance that the ecu is the fault and there is no good to be had in wasting money.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ok i will give that a check... also my bike had temps up to 112c and never shuts down, i was scared to why it keeps overheating but yeah i fixed it by squeezing the hoses thing i mentioned, and i did check the spark plugs during the end of winter... i started riding her around mid spring season.

could one of the plugs be loose?
after every shutdowns (it likes to turn off at almost every stop), i dont notice any power lost, even at high rpms,

but it starts up fine after, just right after dying on me, weird, anyways i'll give it a check and get back to you thank you.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Administrator

112c isn't all that hot. +125 is though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page