is my bike running at the right temperature?! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is my bike running at the right temperature?!

Ok i've done a lot of looking online, and talking on the phone with shops about my temperature, and found out a lot, but it all doesn't quite fit with my bike.. So i figured I would just ask the wise people of 600rr.net.. Ok first off, I heard it does and doesn't make a difference from different people, but my bike has -2 in front sprocket and +3 in the rear. Now i was also told cbr's run a little hotter, but my friends r6 on the highway going about 70, runs at like 180-185 F while mine will run at like 194-196 when there is no traffic on a 89F day. I can still be going 70 and a couple cars get around me and my temp can go up to 200. And in town going about 35-50 my bike will run about 204-214, and at a stop light ive seen it get up to 228. Is my bike running to hot? Now i did have a little hole in my radiator but had it fixed and I have 50/50 in there. If it is to hot, does anyone know any common problem this might be?

2001 Ninja 250 - Sold it... After a month!
2003 Honda Rebel 250 - The Babe Magnet.
2003 Honda CBR600RR - The Baby.
-Flush mount blinkers
-Integrated Taillight
-Yoshi S/O
-Lowered 2"
-Geared (-2/+3)
-Puig Double Bubble Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:32 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_RR View Post
Ok i've done a lot of looking online, and talking on the phone with shops about my temperature, and found out a lot, but it all doesn't quite fit with my bike.. So i figured I would just ask the wise people of 600rr.net.. Ok first off, I heard it does and doesn't make a difference from different people, but my bike has -2 in front sprocket and +3 in the rear. Now i was also told cbr's run a little hotter, but my friends r6 on the highway going about 70, runs at like 180-185 F while mine will run at like 194-196 when there is no traffic on a 89F day. I can still be going 70 and a couple cars get around me and my temp can go up to 200. And in town going about 35-50 my bike will run about 204-214, and at a stop light ive seen it get up to 228. Is my bike running to hot? Now i did have a little hole in my radiator but had it fixed and I have 50/50 in there. If it is to hot, does anyone know any common problem this might be?
Your numbers seem standard/ok to me.

I wouldn't be to worried about it.

If you haven't done it in a while, you can flush your coolant and put in Engine Ice or Water Wetter. It may run a degree or 2 cooler.

You'll get various testimonials from people that use EI or WW, however for myself, I use EI and didn't find the overall temperature of my bike to run lower but it seemed to cool down faster than oem coolant.

Also, I'm assuming your fan works?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yeah i thought about getting it swapped for EI.. And yeah my fan comes on at 221F..

-Flush mount blinkers
-Integrated Taillight
-Yoshi S/O
-Lowered 2"
-Geared (-2/+3)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:50 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
my '05 runs at a steady 175 on the street and highway...if the temp jumps like you say when you're behind cars check the fluid level...My Ducati did that and the coolant was low...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your temps seem completely normal given your mods. With the reduction in gearing, the revs are going to be higher going down the highway which will create more heat. The reason the temps are higher following a car is because there isn't "clean" air flowing through your radiator. The air would be turbulant and inconsistant rather than uniform and cooler. Riding 30-40 around town, temps just above 200F are normal. On a hot day in traffic it is normal for the temp to spike about 228ish, depending on distance between lights, speed, engine rpm, etc.

Sounds normal to me man.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds ok to me mate.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Pocketbike Racer

yeah it sounds about right to me too, I'd flush, clean and readd some better coolant just for the peace of mind.. Has anyone used honda's HP 50/50 coolant??, I heard it was better then engine ice...

2006 CBR600rr - Motorfansclub Hannspree custom replica!!
**Mods**
Pazzo shorty levers black/red, Rizoma Zero-11 rear turn signals, Rizoma Sportline Grip with Rizoma Conical barends, Watsen Design Flushmounts,
Frame Sliders, rear stand spools, Puig Double Bubble Smoked, Custom License Relocation, Custom LED and Reverse LCD, Jardine RT-1 CF Slipon, Vortex Adj Rearsets, Vortex 520 Conv (-1/Stock), BMC airfilter, Spiegler F/R SS lines, Vesrah front pads/CL rear pads.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok, thanks everyone it gives a little peace of mind that my bike is running ok lol, but I will flush it out and put engine ice in there here soon! Thanks everybody.

-Flush mount blinkers
-Integrated Taillight
-Yoshi S/O
-Lowered 2"
-Geared (-2/+3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page