Strange faint knocking noise, quite worried - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange faint knocking noise, quite worried

I took a video because I'm really bad at describing issues with my bike. There is this faint knocking/clicking in the background that worries me... Can someone tell me what it is?? It's More apparent during cold starts, and when my bike is hot it is less obvious, if at all.

The noise I'm talking about is most apparent in the first 3 seconds after I started the bike in the video. Sounds like some sort of knock.

By the way it's a 2003 cbr600rr with 14.5k km on it and the only mod is a jardines slipon.

http://db.tt/EyioJdu

The video is uploaded via iPhone onto dropbox server, first time using it dunno if it'll work or not. Please help, I don't know if I should keep riding it or not.

Thanks,
Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouverjo View Post
I took a video because I'm really bad at describing issues with my bike. There is this faint knocking/clicking in the background that worries me... Can someone tell me what it is?? It's More apparent during cold starts, and when my bike is hot it is less obvious, if at all.

The noise I'm talking about is most apparent in the first 3 seconds after I started the bike in the video. Sounds like some sort of knock.

By the way it's a 2003 cbr600rr with 14.5k km on it and the only mod is a jardines slipon.

http://db.tt/EyioJdu

The video is uploaded via iPhone onto dropbox server, first time using it dunno if it'll work or not. Please help, I don't know if I should keep riding it or not.

Thanks,
Jo
sounds like your cct ( cam chain tensioner ) to me.

take a look at this thread:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=135386

Last edited by 03cbr-rider; 06-07-2011 at 11:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 03cbr-rider For This Useful Post:
Vancouverjo (06-17-2011)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Sounds like your cct on its way out, it should be more apparent where the tool box is...

The APE tensioner is good, but not my preference... have a look in my sig for a how to on replacing it with another stock one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico For This Useful Post:
Vancouverjo (06-17-2011)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Sounds like your cct on its way out, it should be more apparent where the tool box is...

The APE tensioner is good, but not my preference... have a look in my sig for a how to on replacing it with another stock one.
For some reason the dealer is quoting me 2 and a half hour to replace the cam chain tensioner with a stock one. Is this normal? It looks like a really easy job to me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Pocketbike Racer

yeah I get the same thing, I guess it might be time for me to replace it..

2006 CBR600rr - Motorfansclub Hannspree custom replica!!
**Mods**
Pazzo shorty levers black/red, Rizoma Zero-11 rear turn signals, Rizoma Sportline Grip with Rizoma Conical barends, Watsen Design Flushmounts,
Frame Sliders, rear stand spools, Puig Double Bubble Smoked, Custom License Relocation, Custom LED and Reverse LCD, Jardine RT-1 CF Slipon, Vortex Adj Rearsets, Vortex 520 Conv (-1/Stock), BMC airfilter, Spiegler F/R SS lines, Vesrah front pads/CL rear pads.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Actually this is not uncommon. My '04 does this when the oil has broken down and needs changing or when I use an oil with lower viscosity retention. The CCT is at the very top of the oil loop system and it sometimes can run dry for a few seconds if your oil is bad, especially on cold starts. Try changing the oil before changing the CCT. If you can rev the bike and the tapping goes away then the CCT was just dry.

PS I have 28k miles on this bike....

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
For some reason the dealer is quoting me 2 and a half hour to replace the cam chain tensioner with a stock one. Is this normal? It looks like a really easy job to me.
I don't know if 2.5 hours is normal, however that translates to $200+ just in labor.

Are you comfortable with working on your bike? If so, I think you could do it yourself.

GL
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider View Post
Actually this is not uncommon. My '04 does this when the oil has broken down and needs changing or when I use an oil with lower viscosity retention. The CCT is at the very top of the oil loop system and it sometimes can run dry for a few seconds if your oil is bad, especially on cold starts. Try changing the oil before changing the CCT. If you can rev the bike and the tapping goes away then the CCT was just dry.

PS I have 28k miles on this bike....
You make a good point here...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
2.5 hours is WAY too long. 1 hour tops is what it should take to do the cct. Don't pay them to do it, just do it yourself. DIY it is likely to take 1.5-2 hours.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Knee Dragger

Sometimes on a cold start, the valves haven't expanded yet and there's more clearance, thus you get a slight solid knocking sound until it warms up in a few minutes. Also, as they said, oil breakdown or the improper oil weight (or cheaper car oil) can make it sound that way.

My 2006RR makes a knocking noise that has been traced to the cam chain tensioner and after a minute or two of warm up it goes away (fresh synth oil). I assume the oil jets just need a little time and warmin gup the oil to squirt it on the CCT to quiet it down. But, as noted, the CCT seems to go out on these models more than others so I'm keeping an eye on it and will replace it if it gets way noisy.

"If your wheels are off, answer to your God but me, I'll be up and gone. I'll be up and long gone..." Robin Trower, "Little Bit of Sympathy 1972

"Veni, Vidi, Vici." Julius Ceasar (I came, I saw, I conquered)

"Nana Korobi- Ya Oki" Japanese Bushido saying- "Get knocked down seven times, get up eight!"

Last edited by fuzzbutt; 07-05-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page