overheating? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
overheating?

06 cbr motor with 2500 miles on it.

pair mod
bmc race filter
leo vince slip on
DIY short velocity stacks
thermostat removed
dyno tune
using liquid performance racing coolant

here is the story. in september of last year i did all the mods and had the bike tuned. now today i noticed that my bike was creeping up to 230 degrees. the weather here was pretty humid (about 60 percent) and the temps where in the upper 80s and low 90s. i was riding around the city (philadelphia) doing errands and the temp would go down while i was moving, and then when i stopped at a few lights in a row it would slowly climb to 220, the fan would kick on, but it would keep climbing very slowly. highest i saw on the temp reading was 232..

now i know that when i'm not in the city, and i'm riding out in the country the temps stay in the 180s since i'm moving. and if i start the bike cold and let it go all the way to 220 the fan kicks on, and the temp goes back down pretty quickly.

so should i be worried that after riding for about an hour in the city on a hot day the temp goes above 220 even with the fan? is this an early sign of overheating issues?

thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

sorry lol...just read the sticky, apparently anything around 230-249 is still okay. 250 and up is overheating?

still wondering if i should check anything out tho? thanks again
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWario89 View Post
06 cbr motor with 2500 miles on it.

pair mod
bmc race filter
leo vince slip on
DIY short velocity stacks
thermostat removed
dyno tune
using liquid performance racing coolant

here is the story. in september of last year i did all the mods and had the bike tuned. now today i noticed that my bike was creeping up to 230 degrees. the weather here was pretty humid (about 60 percent) and the temps where in the upper 80s and low 90s. i was riding around the city (philadelphia) doing errands and the temp would go down while i was moving, and then when i stopped at a few lights in a row it would slowly climb to 220, the fan would kick on, but it would keep climbing very slowly. highest i saw on the temp reading was 232..

now i know that when i'm not in the city, and i'm riding out in the country the temps stay in the 180s since i'm moving. and if i start the bike cold and let it go all the way to 220 the fan kicks on, and the temp goes back down pretty quickly.

so should i be worried that after riding for about an hour in the city on a hot day the temp goes above 220 even with the fan? is this an early sign of overheating issues?

thanks everyone
sounds like you have nothing to worry about sir. everything you've stated seems dead on to what 1,000,000,000 other members including me experience while riding on the open road
The Following User Says Thank You to 03cbr-rider For This Useful Post:
SuperBrute (06-08-2011)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
quick question though. why did you remove the thermostat? there cant be any benefits to it is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Women are mental terrorists. They bleed for almost a week and don't die. Of course they're crazy. Seriously. End of discussion.
R.I.P PHATSTUD

officially addicted to track
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
^ one less thing to go wrong, the only real downfall is the time it takes for the bike to heat up... it can also cause issues with running temp in cold climates...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

exactly what nico said. i took it out so i wouldn't have to worry about it getting stuck.

and yes its true that it does take a little longer to warm up, but i dont mind. I just do a full pre-ride inspection while the bike warms up to about 140ish and then i take it for a quick spin around the block to make sure everything rides okay. by the end of that its reached 180 atleast and i go in to grab my gear and head out for my ride. works well for me.

as for the temp issues in cold weather. i think it would have to be pretty cold since i've been out when it was around 30-40 degrees and the bike ran just fine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Yep, it does have to be pretty cold.... not likely to happen on a bike cause once it is down that far you probably wont be riding but in a car its a different story.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yeah pretty normal temps, you dont have anything to worry about unless it goes over 240-250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page