No Sparkplugs are Sparking - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No Sparkplugs are Sparking

I ran my first track day this weekend at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in South Beloit, Illinois, and I had an electrical issue which cut my weekend short.

As I came out of the last corner onto the front stretch, I opened up the throttle and power-shifted into second gear at redline. I accidentally hit neutral instead of second and bounced the rev limited a couple times. I let off, engaged into second gear, and rolled back on hard. The instant I roll back on, the bike shuts off completely. I coast to a stop. The starter turns over, but the bike won't start.

I take the key out and put it back in: won't start. Took the battery out and let it sit for half hour: won't start. Checked the compression (which was fine): Still won't start. Test the sparkplugs, and determine that none of them are sparking. I bypass the kickstand kill switch: it still won't fire. Remove the tilt sensor and shake it: it still won't fire. I put the whole thing back together and load it up on the truck to head home. As I'm loading it up, I hit the starter one last time and she starts up! The sessions are over for the day, so I camp out and plan to hit the track the next day.

First session of the second day, the bike completely shuts off again on the first lap, but closer to 13k (as opposed to 15k) RPMs. Again I tear it apart and can't find any cause. Put it all back together and it magically starts.

I pull back out on the track, and I don't let the RPM get above 10k. Again on the first lap, she stalls. I coast back around to the pit, hit the starter, and she starts up for about 1 second and dies. It's been 12 hours, and she still won't start. I haven't torn back into it yet, but I'm at a loss for possible issues.

Also, this happened once to me on the street last fall about 5000 miles ago, and she started back up after about 5 minutes of just sitting.

FYI: 2006 CBR600RR with 18000 miles (all by me). No stunting; first track day ever. I was running with OEM plastics, and disconnected turn signals, headlights, and taillights.

Electrical issue? Grounding issue? Bad killswitch on the grip? Back kickstand killswitch? Bad tilt sensor killswitch? Bad ECU?

What would lead to none of the sparkplugs sparking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2006 CBR600RR
Tripage Peg LEDs, 22/Peg
Dunstan Graffix Rimtape & Tankpad
Shogun Sliders & Spools
Orange CA Integrated Taillight
Watsen Design 10 LED Signals

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
If the fuel pump is priming check the 12V feed from the engine stop relay to the coils.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

The fuel pump is not priming and the plugs are not sparking.

2006 CBR600RR
Tripage Peg LEDs, 22/Peg
Shogun Sliders & Spools

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
4 spark plugs a sparking
5 goooooolden riiiiiings...

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

no fuel, and no spark

bas. this is where my money is

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Moto GP Racer

more common than BAS from what ive read,
grounding faults...

freaking ground wires causing so much rukus

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Your problem is going to be with getting power to the engine cut relay, the BAS is part of that circuit and probably worth taking a look at, you can also bypass it easily enough.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Update.

When the bike wasn't running, I bypassed the BAS and it didn't help. After the bike magically started working, I bypassed the BAS and it didn't stop. BAS seems to be ok. (BTW to bypass the BAS, jump the two outside wires (red & green)).

So I swapped the Fan relay and the Engine Stop relay. Then I took the bike out and hit it really hard on the freeway. 0-70mph repeatedly 10 times. The third time I the speedometer went crazy and started jumping around 26, 106, 45, 18, 156, etc while I was decelerating back down from 70. I've never seen that before. So I took her home and tightened the wires into the guage cluster hoping that it won't do it again. I'm really hoping the speedo and the engine cutting out are unrelated issues. The fan seems to work correctly, although I thought I heard it cut in and out once when it shouldn't have!

I have about 20 miles on since the bike last shut off (which occured on the track under severe conditions). The closest I can get to recreating those is letting the bike sit until she heats up 220F, and then ride around town in first gear. So far, so good!

Lastly, if this happens again, I am going to bring the bike to the Honda dealer in town. Please realize this will be a huge hit to my pride since I've done literally every mod to my bike myself, and I'm mighty proud of it!

Thanks for your help guys!

2006 CBR600RR
Tripage Peg LEDs, 22/Peg
Shogun Sliders & Spools

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page