Broken Hex key - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken Hex key

Was trying to remove the brake pad pins from the front brake caliper, one pin came off, while trying the next one, the hex key I was using sheared off leaving half inside the brake pin bolt. Tried drilling it out with HSS drill bits, heated with flames and tried drilling....nothing seems to work, the drill is not even making a dent in the bit stuck inside the bolt..any ideas what I can do to get this sorted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0753.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	21024  

---CBR600RR - 2003 -35000+miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
A) It's weird that a hex key sheared. Was it all FUBAR or something? Either way I'd reckon that your bolt is STUCK in there something awful. I'd recommend some P'Blaster, it oughta work even on this even if the female threads are aluminum.
b) Before you try anything drastic, I'd say bang on the hex wrench with a hammer and centerpunch, or something with an awl-like sharpened tip. Bang it in the opposite direction as you were turning it with the wrench, and it might un-wedge it so it'll fall out naturally with a tap or a strong magnet.
C) Forget a drill bit here, you need something abrasive to cut through that kind of metal. I've had lots of luck with a dremel cut-off wheel to cut a slot that you can use a big-ol flathead screwdriver on, however once you try this it's kind of all or nothing.
D) If the bolt IS hella stuck, a new caliper's easy enough pickins around here in the partout threads.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to z537z For This Useful Post:
kompkar (06-21-2011)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
+1 for cutting a slot with a dremel for a flathead screwdriver

WERA Expert #816
2007 600RR
http://www.ridepre.com/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by z537z View Post
A) It's weird that a hex key sheared. Was it all FUBAR or something? Either way I'd reckon that your bolt is STUCK in there something awful. I'd recommend some P'Blaster, it oughta work even on this even if the female threads are aluminum.
b) Before you try anything drastic, I'd say bang on the hex wrench with a hammer and centerpunch, or something with an awl-like sharpened tip. Bang it in the opposite direction as you were turning it with the wrench, and it might un-wedge it so it'll fall out naturally with a tap or a strong magnet.
C) Forget a drill bit here, you need something abrasive to cut through that kind of metal. I've had lots of luck with a dremel cut-off wheel to cut a slot that you can use a big-ol flathead screwdriver on, however once you try this it's kind of all or nothing.
D) If the bolt IS hella stuck, a new caliper's easy enough pickins around here in the partout threads.

Good luck!
+1

You can also cut the pads out and then use a pair of vice grips to take the pin out, then replace the pin.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks z537z - that was a very helpful reply, didn't have the right tools - no center punch, no pblaster(not available here in UK), no dremel.......took it to the local workshop, helpful guys welded a nut onto the brake pad pin, took it out along with the hex key inside it, replaced with a new pin,all for £10 (about $18 I think) - job done......for the future I've now bought a good quality hex key set, so hopefully will not be a problem anymore I guess....fingers crossed

---CBR600RR - 2003 -35000+miles
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
god bless talented machinists.

buy a a lot of beer and drop it off at the shop that helped u.

hard to find!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page