2005 CBR600rr looses ability to charge it self and turns off... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Unhappy 2005 CBR600rr looses ability to charge it self and turns off...

I have a really strange problem... I bought a pretty trashed 2005 CBR600rr and had to replace a number of things on it thus far to make it road worthy. It is finally ride-able and looks pretty good but sometimes has this issue:

I can be cruising or going fast and occasionally it seems like the charging system just stops working because the bike starts studering, break light dims, the gauge cluster turns off and the bike just dies after a bit of a strugle and misfiring (as it is draining the last bits of energy from the battery).

I can park the bike, turn it off and on, push start it and everything returns to normal, the charging system is once again charging the battery and I can even stop the bike in say 5 min and start it normally using the starter.

At first I thought it was the voltage regulator, but it does not happen due to any heat or any bumper to bumper traffic.

I even clipped, cleaned and re-clipped every single connector I could find on the bike, and made sure the main ground point by the relay switches on the left was tight as well as the battery terminals.

What do you guys think is wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Also just to add, there is nothing aftermarket on the wiring side of things, no cut wires or anything and no PC.

Also this issue is VERY intermittent, it occurs maybe once every 4 rides with no describable pattern.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:17 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
sounds more electrical than mechanical. i'm guessing you've also replaced the battery?

SGT Mario Kawika Deleon
05.11.80 - 04.16.07

team white.
GKMMC. ch 24.

2009 phoenix - crashed [june 2012 BOTM winner]
2007 #teamwhite - the current ride

www.facebook.com/spiritofkaos1

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofkaos1 View Post
sounds more electrical than mechanical. i'm guessing you've also replaced the battery?
Yep, iv replaced the
-battery (new Duralast from autozone)
-voltage regulator (new ElectroSport regulator)
-stator (used OEM one)

Could the ElectroSport regulator be bad even though its brand new?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Check all of the connections, chances are very high that one of them is loose or corroded.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I wonder what cable it is, I swear I checked like all of them!

Can any of the relays on the left side by the intake go bad and cause this?

I think that is the side where the bike went down b4 I got it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Nope, but the ignition switch plug could...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm having the same trouble with my bike, 2005 RR, Mine is strictly for the track but the same problems.

Trailer the bike to the track, bike starts no problem, let the bike warm up, shut it off, no problem....

Session starts, bike starts up again, no problem, hit the track for 20min, come back to the pits, turn the bike off and it is dead next time i start it.

Now, if i let the bike idle for less than 5min once I get back to the pit, it'll start up for the next session no problem,

Now, I've had bikes not charge at a low RPM, but never not charge at a High RPM,

Any ideas anyone? or, does anyone have a recommendation on some kind of data logger so I can see what it is doing out on the track.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfish69 View Post
I'm having the same trouble with my bike, 2005 RR, Mine is strictly for the track but the same problems.

Trailer the bike to the track, bike starts no problem, let the bike warm up, shut it off, no problem....

Session starts, bike starts up again, no problem, hit the track for 20min, come back to the pits, turn the bike off and it is dead next time i start it.

Now, if i let the bike idle for less than 5min once I get back to the pit, it'll start up for the next session no problem,

Now, I've had bikes not charge at a low RPM, but never not charge at a High RPM,

Any ideas anyone? or, does anyone have a recommendation on some kind of data logger so I can see what it is doing out on the track.
Let the bike idle for LESS THAN 5 mines or AT LEAST 5 mins?
(just clarifying)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Let the bike idle for LESS THAN 5 mines or AT LEAST 5 mins?
(just clarifying)

bike will idle for less than 5 minutes, thanks in advance
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Ok, so:

Out on track, come back in and shut the bike off right away and it doesn't start later on

Out on track, come back in and let the bike idle then... 1. It shuts itself down before 5 mins is out OR 2. you let it idle for less than five minutes then you shut it down. - but either way the bike starts and runs just fine when it gets to idle...

Does it make any sort of sounds when it fails to start? Can you hear the starter motor? What about the fuel pump? Have you removed the BAS? How about the headlights? Power commander? Any other mods?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Ok, so:

Out on track, come back in and shut the bike off right away and it doesn't start later on

Out on track, come back in and let the bike idle then... 1. It shuts itself down before 5 mins is out OR 2. you let it idle for less than five minutes then you shut it down. - but either way the bike starts and runs just fine when it gets to idle...

Does it make any sort of sounds when it fails to start? Can you hear the starter motor? What about the fuel pump? Have you removed the BAS? How about the headlights? Power commander? Any other mods?
Yes, on track, back in, turn the bike off and it doesn't start later

Out on track, back in, I LET the bike idle for less than 5 minutes, then I shut it off, next time i start it, it starts just fine.

When it fails to start it sounds just like a dead battery, I can push start it every time.

I can hear the fuel pump loud and clear, No lights, No BAS, Yes power commander and ignition module, No other electrical mods
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Administrator

hmm...

Have you tested the charging system? If you have a good quality multimeter you may be able to measure the voltage and show both AC and DC. Most cheap multimeters will fail to read AC when there is a DC level present so you need to use one that is specifically designed to do so... I would be interested to know what numbers you get as it sounds like the higher rpm might be punching some AC into the bike...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Rocketfish, your problem sounds very similar to mine, except mine goes the one step worse and actually dies sometimes.

What should the multimeter read? What is a good a simple guide for testing the charging system?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

there is a fault finding diagram, Nico let me know if this is wrong,

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfish69 View Post

have you checked any voltages?

and for reference i had a similar problem with my street bike, if i rode it for any length of time, often it would just not start, was like the battery was totally dead

i *think* i have fixed that, by disassembling the starter motor, i found the brushes to be in spec, but there was a LOT of carbon in there, got rid of all of that, and the bike hasnt failed, or acted wrong yet ... and it only did this when the starter was hot

i was able to readily replicate the issue by idling the bike for extended periods ... get a lot of heat into the starter, kill the bike, and it would fail to restart ... spraying water onto the back of the clutch cover (where the starter is) cooling the starter, allowed me to restart the bike with no issue.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Training Wheel Hero

well, if i don't go to the track tomorrow, i'm going to play around with it for a few... and if it rains at the track... I might mess with it there, we'll see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page