engine vibration, just started doing it - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine vibration, just started doing it

2009 cbr 600rr. 9000 miles. this bike has been kept mint. oil changed before and after storage, garage kept during riding season, parked indoors during off season. washed and waxed regularly. not abused. has an aftermarket yoshi slip on and a k and n air filter. all of a sudden this bike developed a vibration. it is from the engine, not the tires or anything, it will do it in neutral on the kickstand. the vibration occurs throughout the rev range, from idle to high rpms. I used to rave about how smooth this bike was, and would promote honda whenever I could, now Im not so sure what to think. I have had several people look at it, including a honda dealer, the salesman asked me how I even rode it, then the service manager said it was normal sport bike vibration. I explained to the service manager it just started doing it a few weeks ago, he said it could be an injector sync issue and sold me some injector cleaner for 6 bucks, but I really doubt thats what it is. I have had ethanol issues here with my other small engine machines, 4wheelers, sleds, it has been suggested that that could be causing the problem, I really doubt it, but Ive ordered some new plugs and ethanol treatment to start. I am an auto tech and used to dealing with vibration, a fellow tech and I agreed that its definitely an engine vibration, and we agreed that it could very well be a balance shaft issue. I love this bike, it looks great, and I used to love riding it until now. If it is an internal engine issue Im hoping honda will help with the repairs, if they dont I wont know what to think about honda anymore. This is one of the new models, Im wondering if anyone else has heard or seen this issue yet, and if this issue is going to affect all of us. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!! thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
well, its a newer year bike, but your bikes power plant was released in 2007, so it is probably not an issue of a "new power plant with undiscovered flaw"

how bad is the vibration? its very normal for a sport bike to have a good vibration load ....

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

its actually pretty typical I would say, but, it did just start doing it, trust me, it wasnt there before. my question is, is the balance shaft phased??

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwdavis23 View Post
its actually pretty typical I would say, but, it did just start doing it, trust me, it wasnt there before. my question is, is the balance shaft phased??
if its any thing related to any thing like that

then i bet theres about a few million that are not, and honda sees no reason to recall

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

just had my friend ride it who rode it 3 weeks ago and agreed, its a totally different bike
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
get a cup or bowl of water and put it on the tank, take video of the rpm ranges,

then if you have someone with a 09 that isnt vibrating do the same, with the same bowl,

or if someone here has one and is willing to do the test, we can see if yours is out of wack, its an idea,

my 03 developed a vibration, but I think its me getting more sensitive to how it runs,

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

not a bad idea, just talked to the dealer, they are gonna get me a reps number tomorrow
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Id say its normal for some kind of vibration, its a solid mounted engine to a frame. I'm sure new it didn't but as things wear inside the engine, vibrations will come and go.

Honda most likely will not pay a penny to repair or diagnose what it may be coming from being its a few years old with 9k on the clock, but they will welcome you with opens arms to fill their pockets with green to find something that most likely is not a problem. i've got 40k on the clock and have been through many slight vibration cycles, with no other problems

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If its an engine vibration, it will be almost impossible for us to work out what it is on here.

Best advice would be to get a friend with an identical bike and find a company that does vibration analysis. They can take a baseline off the other bike and compare that to readings from yours to try and find the rough source of the vibration, and if you know how many balls are in each bearing etc you may even be able to tell which bearing...

VA is an extremely useful tool if a little expensive to get done the first time.

You could also get a SOAP (spectrographic oil analysis program) test done on it and have a look at the specific elements in the oil... if any are unusually high you may be able to see an issue there. Only problem with this is that you need a baseline, the best you will be able to do is put clean oil in the bike, keep a sample and run it for 5k miles or so then get them compared. You would then be able to get a very rough idea of what is going on.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Might be worthwhile to get this bike on a dyno and see what the fuel map looks like. Your dealer mentioned an injector sync issue which may be caused by a clogged injector. I don't see this bike just developing a balance shaft issue but stranger things have happened. Have you ran a spark test on all of the plugs? No loose plug wires?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

no plug wires on this bike. all good info here though, Ive been trained on eva and may use that to analyze it. though I did just start digging and found the air filter to be plugged. I also have some ethanol treatment here Im going to be using. I agree its most likely not an internal engine issue, how do you feel about air fuel ratio causing a vibration???? I have noticed that the hotter it is out, the worse the vibration is. At first I just thought the plastic wasnt making as much noise because it had contracted a little to due the colder air, but on the ride home tonight I realized it wasnt bothering me as much. Ive ordered new plugs, once they are in I will get it all back together with a clean air filter and let you know. btw, has anyone done the plugs in these yet?? do you remove the radiator or just swing it out of the way?? I appreciate the feedback guys, I really do like this bike, best one Ive had, so I dont wanna get rid of it. oh also the dealer wouldnt give me a reps number, they just gave me the number to honda customer service. all they did was record my info and say good luck. very frustrating considering how many honda products Ive bought
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
plugs are easy mate, and no you don't have to remove the radiator, there is enough play on the hoses to do it by just pushing it around a little.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (08-27-2016)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Training Wheel Hero

What does the vibration sound like? eg. I bunch of marbles tumbling, a piece of sheet metal rattling? I absolutely hate rattles!!! I've torn my bike apart a few times getting rid of little annoying rattles.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Oh ya, is it stronger on one side of the bike than the other?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm no mechanic but it could be a bad spark plug or electrical wire. I've had this happen to one of our work trucks.

2012 BMW S1000RR
2007 Pearl White CBR600RR
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I know this thread is old but I just have the exact same problem!
Did you find a solution for that?
It just startet like out of nowhere. Its kind of in the whole revrange.
I wouldn't care about this that much, but here in germany I ride 250kmh+ very often on the autobahn and especially in the high rev range the whole bike starts vibrating like crazy.
It definitely comes from the engine but I don't have any idea what transports the vibration from the engine to the whole bike.
I am going to get crazy with that!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:59 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaty View Post
I know this thread is old but I just have the exact same problem!
Did you find a solution for that?
It just startet like out of nowhere. Its kind of in the whole revrange.
I wouldn't care about this that much, but here in germany I ride 250kmh+ very often on the autobahn and especially in the high rev range the whole bike starts vibrating like crazy.
It definitely comes from the engine but I don't have any idea what transports the vibration from the engine to the whole bike.
I am going to get crazy with that!
I m having same problem. Been like it since 6k miles now just under 10k feels horrible when feathering the throttle and it's not smooth anymore through the revs range. Seems to be coming from clutch area...I'm replacing gearbox bearing next week to see if its that as I've just ended up changing everything apart from clutch plates to no avail. Getting tuned 24th but the maps I've uploaded from power commander make no difference. Checked chain sprockets etc etc and are all good.
Will try and update you soon as bearing is done next week.all engine mounts etc are all good, not touched since factory so I know ita not that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page