2003 Honda CBR 600rr won't start! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 Honda CBR 600rr won't start!

Hey guys,

Just recently bought a CBR about 3 weeks ago, and been having some battery issues with it (stalled a couple times when I first got it). The bike has 55w HID's in both the high's and low beams, which I assume will drain the battery significantly(I don't ride with high beams).

Anyways, I don't know the problem with the bike so I just assumed it was a bad battery. I bought a battery tender and charged the bike for a couple hours...and then started it up, no problems. Now, when the bike starts the tachometer stays around 1.5-2k. The meter "burps" during idle and it seems like the bike is struggling to stay at those RPMS.

The next day, I tried starting it up, and lo and behold the bike won't start. It struggles to turn over and eventually just leads to the infamous "clicking" sound.

I know 2003 CBR's have an issue with the reg/rec overheating and not distributing power correctly, but I haven't gotten any tests ran on it (I don't have any biker friends as I'm new to the motorcycle scene).

Anybody have any ideas what's wrong? Besides the points that I hit?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I would try a whine new battery for the starting issue. I buy the $35 ones off eBay and they work good for me. As for your idle problems idk about that. Hope I have helped.

bought my 07 600rr on 11/4/11. rode it once before riding season was over, best time of my life.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have a powercommander on the bike? That would be the culprit of the rpms during idle, my bike does that.

Do you have any FI codes?

2003 Red Custom 600rr -- SOLD
2007 White 600rr

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I bought the bike without the Manufacturers Owners Manual, I just figured I could buy another one down the road.

I don't want to buy a new battery unless I know what's wrong with the bike itself. I have a guy that I know buy a new battery for his CBR as well, until he found out it was the reg/rec. Just don't know if our situations are too similar.

I do not have any FI codes, and I do not have a powercommander on the bike, if that helps
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if the battery isnt new or look to be replaced recently there is a very likely chance it needs to be changed. i wouldn't recommend a cheap batt... just more possible you will be left on side of the road somewhere.

if you have a friend with a cbr600rr then ask to pop his battery in your bike, if the bike dies again and drains his battery then you know you have an issue with the charging system, you can even charge your batt and put it in his bike to see if it holds a charge...

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75partlyCloudy View Post
I bought the bike without the Manufacturers Owners Manual, I just figured I could buy another one down the road.

I don't want to buy a new battery unless I know what's wrong with the bike itself. I have a guy that I know buy a new battery for his CBR as well, until he found out it was the reg/rec. Just don't know if our situations are too similar.

I do not have any FI codes, and I do not have a powercommander on the bike, if that helps

so I woudlnt worry about the reg just yet, you have to get the bike to over 5K in order for it to start turning on,

sounds like you need to charge your battery longer than a few hours, try over night especially with a battery tender,

you can jump the bike with a car (make sure the car is off), then when your bike is on, rev the engine to above 5K with a voltage meter on the battery if the voltage climbs your R/R is fine,

but charge your battery for more than 24 hours, stalling and the HIDs then not running the bike over 5K consistently will drain your battery pretty quick,

i agree do not just throw parts at the bike find the culprit and replace that, but it sounds to me your battery is either drained to far or it has a dead cell and needs to be replaced, this happens if the bike sits without a tender or isnt properly charged,

good luck, if you can bump start it and it will run, but will not restart, then its most likely the battery,

take care!

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuuScbr View Post
so I woudlnt worry about the reg just yet, you have to get the bike to over 5K in order for it to start turning on,

sounds like you need to charge your battery longer than a few hours, try over night especially with a battery tender,

you can jump the bike with a car (make sure the car is off), then when your bike is on, rev the engine to above 5K with a voltage meter on the battery if the voltage climbs your R/R is fine,

but charge your battery for more than 24 hours, stalling and the HIDs then not running the bike over 5K consistently will drain your battery pretty quick,

i agree do not just throw parts at the bike find the culprit and replace that, but it sounds to me your battery is either drained to far or it has a dead cell and needs to be replaced, this happens if the bike sits without a tender or isnt properly charged,

good luck, if you can bump start it and it will run, but will not restart, then its most likely the battery,

take care!
Bump started it once, and it started right up. *shrugs

Might just try to bring it to a shop and have them look at it...I just hope they just won't charge me the $90 labor + parts if they want to fix it on the spot.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Get the battery load tested, then get them to check the leakage current on the bike.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Alright, here's a little update on my bike...

First I tested the battery with a multimeter...it read ~12.34v, and when started at 5k it also shows positive signs.

Checked the fuses...and the fuse that dealt with starting the bike looked completely fine.

So now is the R/R. I bought a 2003-2005 R/R from regulatorrectifier.com and just finished installing it. The bike STILL won't start by itself.

The bike can be push started in 1st gear, and all the readings and fuel primes whenever I turn the key.

The issue is when I actually attempt to start the bike....it drops my battery voltage down to 4v which I assume completely kills the battery. After I let go of the ignition, the whole system just restarts again as if the battery died completely and came back to life.

All that's left for me to check is the stator...but I just wanted to know if there is anything else out there that might be the issue?

I've had a friend tell me it might be an exposed negative wire touching some other parts of the bike, thus causing it to not start.

Any thoughts? I really want to start riding again, as I jus got the bike a month ago and put <200miles on it :(
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You need a new battery by the sounds of that mate... it's not putting out enough current under load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page