Charging system fun! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Charging system fun!

Searched the forum and found a lot of helpful info but nothing that fits my situation specifically (except for one thread that was later abandoned with several fixes mentioned.)

Track 07 RR is eating batteries like biscuits. Took some multimeter readings last night.

Standing voltage = 13.2 (bike off)
Idling voltage = 12.67
5k RPM steady voltage = 12.67

So that's not right. I have the shop manual, tried doing some of the charging system tests.

Unplugged the alternator (3p yellow wires) and R/R (2p red wire and green ground). The manual says testing the master ground and red wire should report the battery voltage (13.2) but it's giving me 12.67 - the same as when the bike is on. Not sure what to divine from this.

I can't seem to get any sort of reading from the stator 3p connector; not sure what mode to put the multimeter in. I would like to make sure the stator/flywheel is actually generating power, of course. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
It sounds to me like your stator might be going out? Check the resistance (Ohms) of the wires coming out of the stator.

Once you turn the bike on, everything pulling electricity is now pulling it from the battery (the lower voltage reading when the bike is on), instead of from the generated electricity form the stator.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

The three yellow wires, right?

The multimeter I have does resistance, but either I wasn't setting it right or there is none. Which Ω range should I set it to? That's resistance, right?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Yes it should be three yellow wires (I have a 2006, but they should be the same). Yes that is resistance. resistance should be in the tenths (0.1 as an example) range. I don't know what your meter looks like, but you can try the different settings until you get a reading.

You need to probe each wire and check resistance between them. Ex (1 and 2, 1 and 3, 2 and 3) then check ground. probe a wire and touch the other to a ground point (Engine block). If you have a ground reading then something is wrong and if you have high resistance then something is wrong with the stator as well.

How does the connector to the rectifier look? And burnt wires or melting?

Was the bike every crashed? Damage to the stator cover?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

It's this guy:

As you can see, the ohms levels start at 200 and go up from there, unless I'm interpreting that wrong.

R/R plug was clean. Stator plug had some dust on one of the connectors. Cleaned it out good. All the connections feel solid when I tug on the wires.

Bike was charging fine with no crashes or events. One change though; I swapped stator covers with someone, he pulled and reinstalled my stator. I did do one track day (the whole day, about 7 sessions) after that on a year old Yuasa battery alright. Between that and the next track day, I flushed the coolant and killed the battery accidentally. So the next track day, my bike died on session 3. Borrowed another battery and finished the day alright. Thought my Yuasa was dead, got a Shorai, sucked all the juice out of that (one and a half sessions.) at the next track day.

To check resistance between the wires, touch the black COM probe and red probe to the metal parts of separate wires, right?

Last edited by FightingChance; 04-25-2012 at 03:27 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
It's this guy:

As you can see, the ohms levels start at 200 and go up from there, unless I'm interpreting that wrong.

Bike was charging fine with no crashes or events. One change though; I swapped stator covers with someone, he pulled and reinstalled my stator. I did do one track day (the whole day, about 7 sessions) after that on a year old Yuasa battery alright. Between that and the next track day, I flushed the coolant and killed the battery accidentally. So the next track day, my bike died on session 3. Borrowed another battery and finished the day alright. Thought my Yuasa was dead, got a Shorai, sucked all the juice out of that (one and a half sessions.) at the next track day.

To check resistance between the wires, touch the black COM probe and red probe to the metal parts of separate wires, right?
Yeah start on the lowest (200 ohm), also make sure that you have one probe in com and one in v ohm mA (the second hole) if you have It in the 10ADC it won't read anything. I know this sounds dumb but I do it all the time.

It sounds like something in your stator is bad. But if you test and find that two of the combinations of wires give you two readings it could be something else.

2005 CBR 600RR Tribal
Pinebox custom exhaust + header
PCv + pair mod
Ape CCT
Vortex Clip-ons
MOTY battery
ZG DB
Milled rear rotor
55w HIDs
Rear res delete mod
flush mounts, frame sliders

Get outta here troll!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Yeah, I'll still say something with the stator. Check those readings and report back with the numbers.

And yes, to check the resistance stick each probe in one of the female ports on the connector. And for the ground, touch a metal part part of the bike (Engine case) with one probe and stick the other probe into each one of the connector ports.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

No matter what I do, I get no reaction from the meter when I touch the leads to any of the wires of the stator.

Now that I think of it, battery has not been charging since I swapped stator covers. Stator could have been installed incorrectly... I think I'm going to have to pop it open and take a look.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

This is going to sound really stupid, lol, but is the multimeter working?

However I agree with what you said. It's funny how every since you changed the stator cover, your batt hasn't been charging. Something is off.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Sounds like you have an open circuit on your stator... which will most certainly kill batteries!

Just make sure your meter is working correctly as well by touching the leads together and verifying that it reads 0 ohms (or close to)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

The other readings the meter takes seem to be alright (as far as dc voltage)

When I set it to ohms, the LCD reads '1'. If I touch the leads together, I get a reading that bounces around a little then settles on .07 (if ohms set to 200)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Ok, that would mean that your stator is certainly dead...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Well, culprit found; when the stator was fastened into the Woodcraft case cover, the three wire leads were not properly fastened into their little holder. One of the leads was flayed until it broke by the rotating flywheel, which of course will make the stator not do anything. Some bits of copper wiring were in the flywheel; hopefully not too much if any made it into the oil, or it was caught in the oil filter.

Moral of the story: work on your own ish. Oy.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Dude someone who worked on your bike is at fault? I'd be pissed!

2005 CBR 600RR Tribal
PCv + pair mod
Ape CCT
Vortex Clip-ons
MOTY battery
ZG DB
Milled rear rotor
55w HIDs
Rear res delete mod

Get outta here troll!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK ICE RR View Post
Dude someone who worked on your bike is at fault? I'd be pissed!
The real true problem was that the stator was put in backwards. Doh!

I'll be honest, I sat there and watched him, content that if he wanted to do the work I'd let him. We were on a time limit, and if I was smart I should have just said 'let's work on your bike and not mine' (he brought his bike, it was my garage - no problem to leave all my parts on the ground.) It's my fault for being lazy, as well.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Oh a friend helped? I thought you meant a shop did it.

2005 CBR 600RR Tribal
PCv + pair mod
Ape CCT
Vortex Clip-ons
MOTY battery
ZG DB
Milled rear rotor
55w HIDs
Rear res delete mod

Get outta here troll!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page