Yamaha Rectifier - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yamaha Rectifier

Hey guys,

Have a quick question for you and yes I know I know, how dare I ask about a Yamaha on a Honda Forum, but I figured id get some input here if anyone had some as well as on the Yamaha Forum. Anyways,

I recently swapped out an 04 r/r for an 06 r/r in my friends 2004 r6 and the voltage is reading a very high 18v.

The new connector was soldered onto the wire harness with the wires being in the same order (red to red, black to black, and I made sure to mark which white wire went where). The new connector came with pigtail wires so the red and black wires where a no brainier as to where they go. There was an extra brown wire on the new connector that wasn't used.

And now I am stumped. Could it be that one of the three white wires was not soldered to the right white wire on the harness? Or is the r/r bad (Was supposedly a new r/r). Was the brown wire supposed to go somewhere?

Stator is also new.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You can ask about any bike you like mate... bike is a bike.

Now, as for your problem... I don't know if those two r/rs are interchangeable but if the stator or the 06R6 is designed to put out a higher voltage then it may have damaged the r/r, or it could just have come broken...

Can you post up a pic of the connector?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
You can ask about any bike you like mate... bike is a bike.

Now, as for your problem... I don't know if those two r/rs are interchangeable but if the stator or the 06R6 is designed to put out a higher voltage then it may have damaged the r/r, or it could just have come broken...

Can you post up a pic of the connector?
Thanks for the response!

A little more background on the situation. His bike started having "draining the battery" issues and after checking out things it came to be the stator. So we changed it out for a new 2004 R6 stator.

A few weeks later unfortunately, he was in a small accident where he rear ended a car (Couldn't stop quick enough) and long story short, somehow the r/r blew shortly after the accident. (he had the typical signs of a bad rectifier, burnt wires and melted plug...I guess his year bike is known to do that)

Anyways, he found a guy/shop (not sure exactly) that supposedly does a lot of work on r6's and he says to do a swap for a 2006 year r/r because it solves the problem. Told him to order the connector (on ebay i think they have them or some website the guy showed him) and sold him a "new" rectifier.

Anyways, the new connector came with wires already attached so it was just a matter of soldering black to black and red to red, plus the three white wires. (these are the wires I soldered to the same locations as the previous r/r plug)

here are two pics. (hopefully they help). The red wire looks grey because of the heat shrink tubing.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Seems like the r/r is DOA mate...
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico For This Useful Post:
xcellflyer (05-02-2012)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

In case anyone is interested, we just swapped out the r/r/ for another one and all is good. Its holding at 14.3. One more bike back on the road!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Good to hear you have it sorted mate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico For This Useful Post:
xcellflyer (05-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page