07 CBR Starts Runs Turns Off?!?!?! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
07 CBR Starts Runs Turns Off?!?!?!

Ok so i did search for my problem came up empty so here it goes. Its kind of long so please skip to the bottom 2 paragraphs for the main question. Sorry

Some back story. I have had the bike 5 years. Still on stock battery. Never had it hooked up to trickle charger so it has run dead many times over the various winters from the cold.

Last season I couldn't start it no matter how many times i started it. Turned out the gas was old, so we siphoned it out and the thing started up after a few tries with fresh gas and a fully charged battery.

Fast forward to today. Battery seems to hold a charge though not great. It died on me at work today. I grabbed the trickle charger from home and it wouldn't start.

Charged it again and it started this time. But after about 10-30 seconds it just died from idle. Last time this happens it was because of the gas. But I just put a fresh tank in 3 days ago.

After starting it 3 times and having it die shortly after idle for a while (didn't even have time to put on gear before it died) i just pinned the throttle to keep the thing alive long enough for me to ride away. And sure enough didn't have a problem at lights or anything else.

So finally my question. It the bike will start even with a battery I'm sure isn't fully holding a charge then why is it dying after the bikes already running? Once its on shouldn't the battery play no role in the bike at all?

I want to fix this tomorrow. Do I need to go buy a new battery or is there something else wrong with the bike that needs replacing? I don't wanna blow my money on a battery if thats not the issue.

any help is appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 PM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Hmm, hard to pin point since you neglected the battery as well. I would replace the battery with a new one and see if that cures the problem. For the future, if you're not going to start the bike up for a while pull the battery out and put it on a charger. The OEM will last a long time with good maintenance but repeated on/off will only shorten it's life.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

thanks for the tip. I will try that.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Just as an FYI, when you drain the battery and charge it, it's called a deep cycle. Car/motorcycle batteries aren't meant to be deep cycled unless specified (like car audio batteries or Optima yellow tops).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Leaving it sitting at idle isn't going to put any charge into the battery, you need to get the revs up for that to happen.

Get a new battery and you will be fine...

And when it comes round to winter again, disconnect your battery. It's going to last a lot lot longer if it's disconnected, then just charge it again before you try using it... also avoid storing it in places that could get down to freezing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page