2003 CBR600RR - Issues keep arrising. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 CBR600RR - Issues keep arrising.

Well first off, I am a very new rider... so it's not a big surprise I keep breaking my bike. I am stumped on how to fix this issue though.

I have a 03 CBR600RR (almost everything is NOT stock)
While driving, I noticed my cluster lights were not working, I stood up over the front end and noticed my headlights were not working aswell. When I reached the next light I engaged the starter switch again (I know it's not good to do).. after I the light turned green, I put it into first, released the clutch and gave it some gas... it died (downtown on the busiest street in my large city). After couple of attempts to restart it, I noticed the fuel pump doesn't prime.
I got it back home after a miracle of holding in the starter switch the whole way home. Now it doesn't even start at all.

To recap:
No lights,
No fuel pump primer noise,
No engine turning over.

Update: When killer switch is off, I can push the starter on and the dash lights will come on.

I have checked the fuses.. and thats the extent of my motorcycle knowledge.

Thanks for your help and interest in my situation.

Last edited by XxPaullyxX; 05-13-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Training Wheel Hero

If you bought it with all its mods already on it then it sounds like who ever had it before messed with the wiring or the ECM and didnt know what they where doing i would try and find some sort of wiring schmatics and trace out the wiring with a voltmeter. one thing to look for on the wiring is cuts in the wires, loose at the connections, or just plain cut or broken.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thank you.
I took off the tank cover.. lifted up the tank and noticed melted electrical tape, maybe some where my buddy messed the wiring up.
My fan also doesn't kick on until 240 degrees. Also, my tail light works, but the left blinker is always on (but doesnt blink)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Training Wheel Hero

glad i could help it can be a nightmare when someone has messed with the wiring on anything. As far as the turn signal does the front one blink
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Unless someone has added a modulator or chip, your fan should turn on around the 220F-224F temp. and stay on until temp drops to 212F. Bad problems if your bike is heating up to the 250F temp. Cooling issue....check coolant level, change coolant (engine ice is good) or regular Honda Coolant, make sure your thermostat is opening.
As far as the wiring, like blueshark said, check the wiring. Be very careful when running new wiring or moving wiring around. The bike and frame gets extremely hot. Make sure the wire is covered with loom or wrap designed to take the heat.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
dont trip about the blinkers just yet,

open the kill switch housing and check the connections in there,

once that is done, check the grounds under the tank fairing,

down you might have burned out the switchi riding it home, but take it apart and check the connections, good luck!

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Check over wiring, especially crappily spliced electrical taped connections. Check the battery's voltage (you can bring it to an auto parts store and they can see how the battery is doing). Will the bike start when it's being jumped? If that's not available have you tried bump starting it? If either of those work it might be the charging system (stator, rectifier/regulator).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page