Easy way to access the starter side connection? 2005 - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another 'my bike wont start' (electric start) post

Aloha all,

Can we have yet another 'my bike wont start' thread for an island rider? My bike is an 05 with about 36K miles on it (I've had it since 07) and I'm hoping someone can offer me a golden nugget of information that may fix me up before I have to look at replacing the starter (if I have to do that work, I'd rather replace than troubleshoot the actual starter itself).

The electric start began crudding out about 4 months ago. When I press the starter button, the starter relay makes a single click with each button push. In the early days the electric start would work perfectly out of the blue, perhaps once every 50 rides or so (it's my daily rider, so I start it several times a day) with no indication that anything was wrong. It could start fine, and if I hit the kill switch, didn't move the bike an inch and tried to re-start it, the relay would just click once. I figured it was electrical or the relay because it would work out of the blue now and then.

I've been working through the service manual and the countless 'bike wont start' threads here over the last few months with no success. My recent 'gamble' was buying a good as new starter relay assy (for $12, it was worth the shot), hoping by some miracle it'd remedy the issue, but it did not.

Bike runs like a champ every time I push start it, which is every time I ride now (daily). I haven't directly tested the kill switch, side stand switch, neutral switch, but posit they are fine because in all instances when they should prevent the bike from starting, they prevent the relay from clicking once, and when put in to operating position (e.g., kill switch off, side stand up/down, clutch held in) the relay can click again. Battery was the first thing that was checked- it is good, and multiple other batteries tested have no effect, as well as the relay fuse and the main fuses.

Basically, I'm at the point where I don't know what else it could be but the starter itself. The relay pumps 12V out to the starter when the button is depressed. I lifted the tank earlier to check the starter connection itself, and while I didn't get the rubber boot off to physically see, it was on solid, and I measured the cable voltage midway between the starter and relay and it too has 12V when button is depressed.

Can anyone offer that golden nugget that I might not have considered here, or am I out of options and is the final remedy to replace the starter?

Mahalo for any assistance. I don't mind push starting, but do not want to push start for the rest of the bike's life!

Last edited by id4rox; 05-14-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I kill the bike power as I coast up my street and in to the driveway. As I kill the power I always try the starter, and dont you know, today for the first time in 2 months or so, the starter button actually turned the bike over (pretty slowly/pathetically, but it was enough to re-start the bike)... an immediate power kill and repressing of the button results in the 'click'... Maybe this helps?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I have same issue that you are having, itís like we have twin bikes itís 06 with 32k on her. The bike has always been well maintained now with saying that the bike has 32k that means that it has been started a lot. Like you I tested and checked everything I could ( new battery, check cables, grounds) with no luck. I was told that a sport bike with 10 to 12k is a lot of miles for a sport bike so if our bikes have over 10 t0 12k and you have checked everything I might be your starter. Make sure that you test the starter first ( see the troubleshooting in chapter 2 page 44 in the Clymer Maintenance book 03 -06 ) at a cost of 350.00 you will want to be sure. I am replacing my starter now and will report back if it starts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I'd say the problem is starter relay rather than the starter itself. I have fixed (replaced) starter relay (on a different bike) and fixed starter on a different bike again. But, there is nothing to it. I'd imagine that the relay is ~$30 and the starter $300.

Your starter relay might work once (shows voltage) but once in a blue moon it will not and the frequency increases. The reason for that is that the fat contacts inside the starter relay are worn out due to sparking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page