studdering/jerking problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy studdering/jerking problem

I have an '06 600RR with 24000 miles on it. I have a problem with the bike like studdering/jerking when it gets hot. Like today, it was hot out like 90 degrees, when to run some errands and running around town (stop and go traffic). It was running fine until I was on the way back. The bike started to studder, kinda like fuel being cut out for a second then coming back on. It runs fine in idle or even when you rev it, it just happens when you are trying to move. It happened to be before, last year summer, but didnt think anything about it. It seems like when some component gets heat soaked it would start doing it. If I stop somewhere and the bike cools off it works without a problem. I have checked the battery and all the connections, have also tried fuel injector cleaner, check air filter, plugs look good, and I even stopped and opened the tank (someone told me could be vapor lock but said that is not very likely, but I figured what the else heck I could do to try). The temps seem ok, the hottest it gets is like just over 220, but by then the radiator fan kicks on. Oil change just changed this past weekend. The only mods on it are a Barnett Clucth, a Driven 520 conversion, and a Speedohealer. Everything else is stock. New battery just put in about 2 weeks ago. Spark plugs were changed out last year. Fresh fuel is in the tank. It has been happening even before the plugs/clutch/battery were changed. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check this thread out bro...

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...hlight=Stutter

Could be fouled spark plugs, fuel pump, ECU, bad injectors, fuel/air filter...

04 883 Sportster - SOLD
06 Softail FXST - SOLD
09 CBR 600rr - DRIFTER
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Knee Dragger

Does the studdering issue only happen on days when it's hot outside? I had an issue last summer where my fuel pump would cut out on hot days after riding for a while. The heat was slowly killing the fuel pump.

Sent from my DROID3 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2003 CBR600RR

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9721 View Post
Does the studdering issue only happen on days when it's hot outside? I had an issue last summer where my fuel pump would cut out on hot days after riding for a while. The heat was slowly killing the fuel pump.

Yes the problem seems to happen when is it hot outside and when I am running errands. Like yesterday (it was like 90degrees out), I rode for like 15 mins to get to one stop. Then rode another 5 to another. I was only in each store for like 10 mins max. Then started to head back to work and that is when the problem started up again, with stop and go city traffic. I then parked it for like 4 hours and on the way home, it was fine.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Danimal View Post
Check this thread out bro...

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...hlight=Stutter

Could be fouled spark plugs, fuel pump, ECU, bad injectors, fuel/air filter...
Thanks Sgt, I'll read through it in a bit. Hopefully I can figure this out. But then again, I was looking at trading it in for a '12 CBR600RR.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Knee Dragger

Mine would cut out after about 4 - 5 hours of hard riding. It sounds like you don't have the same issue.

2003 CBR600RR

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Mine would cut out after about 4 - 5 hours of hard riding. It sounds like you don't have the same issue.

yea it happened in like less than an hour. the last time it happened was a slow ride on some twisties (got stuck behind slow traffic )... then break for lunch... on the way home it started studdering again... but after a bit more riding it went away... like after it got some air moving and cooled something off whatever was heat soaked.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Knee Dragger

Do your dash lights cut out with the motor or do they stay on? If they cut out with the motor I would say it would be the regulator/rectifier getting too hot.

2003 CBR600RR

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Do your dash lights cut out with the motor or do they stay on? If they cut out with the motor I would say it would be the regulator/rectifier getting too hot.

everything stays on... no mil light... it is almost like someone cuts the fuel for a split second then releases it... maybe a fuel pump going bad because of heat? like you said
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Knee Dragger

I found the issue with this, hot days, traffic etc. etc.

I too had this issue.

Got the bike back from the mechanic, he said it was vapor lock causing the fuel pump to not work prop.

this fact is from Wiki
Quote:
Most modern engines are equipped with fuel injection, and have an electric submersible fuel pump in the fuel tank. Moving the fuel pump to the interior of the tank helps prevent vapor lock, since the entire fuel delivery system is under positive pressure and the fuel pump runs cooler than if it is located in the engine compartment. This is the primary reason that vapor lock is rare in modern fuel systems. For the same reason, some carbureted engines are retrofitted with an electric fuel pump near the fuel tank.

A vapor lock is more likely to develop when the vehicle is in traffic because the under-hood temperature tends to rise. A vapor lock can also develop when the engine is stopped while hot and the vehicle is parked for a short period. The fuel in the line near the engine does not move and can thus heat up sufficiently to form a vapor lock. The problem is more likely in hot weather or high altitude in either case.

Gravity feed fuel systems are not immune to vapor lock. Much of the foregoing applies equally to a gravity feed system; if vapor forms in the fuel line, its lower density reduces the pressure developed by the weight of the fuel. This pressure is what normally moves fuel from the tank to the carburetor, so fuel supply will be disrupted until the vapor is removed, either by the remaining fuel pressure forcing it into the float bowl and out the vent or by allowing the vapor to cool and re-condense.

Vapor lock has been the cause of forced landings in aircraft. That is why aviation fuel is manufactured to far lower vapor pressure than automotive gasoline (petrol). In addition aircraft are far more susceptible because of their ability to change altitude and associated ambient pressure rapidly. Liquids boil at lower temperatures when in lower pressure environments.
my mechanic tested the gas cap and sure enough it did not release the pressure it needed.

He swapped it for a race style, No Key cap and it worked.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 01:11 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokfon View Post
I have an '06 600RR with 24000 miles on it. I have a problem with the bike like studdering/jerking when it gets hot. Like today, it was hot out like 90 degrees, when to run some errands and running around town (stop and go traffic). It was running fine until I was on the way back. The bike started to studder, kinda like fuel being cut out for a second then coming back on. It runs fine in idle or even when you rev it, it just happens when you are trying to move. It happened to be before, last year summer, but didnt think anything about it. It seems like when some component gets heat soaked it would start doing it. If I stop somewhere and the bike cools off it works without a problem. I have checked the battery and all the connections, have also tried fuel injector cleaner, check air filter, plugs look good, and I even stopped and opened the tank (someone told me could be vapor lock but said that is not very likely, but I figured what the else heck I could do to try). The temps seem ok, the hottest it gets is like just over 220, but by then the radiator fan kicks on. Oil change just changed this past weekend. The only mods on it are a Barnett Clucth, a Driven 520 conversion, and a Speedohealer. Everything else is stock. New battery just put in about 2 weeks ago. Spark plugs were changed out last year. Fresh fuel is in the tank. It has been happening even before the plugs/clutch/battery were changed. Thanks in advance for any help.
did you take out the air box by any chance? check the hose on the map sensor under the air box. make sure its not pinched.

i was having that issue not long ago, the bike was bogging and refused to rev under load.

I am Chris
2009 Honda CBR600RR
CCS #520
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 01:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

DEFINITELY FUEL PUMP AND GAS TANK CORROSION, had the same exact issue, which only happens after an hour or so of riding, and goes back perfect after u leave the bike cool down.

open your gas lid, and check for rust, you probably had it parked for a long period of time in the past
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Knee Dragger

Update.

Shop changed the oem gas cap to a race cap, found that the tank was also not getting the proper air from vacuum hoses or air hoses. Got those taken care of.

Also found that the pump was acting up when filling up fuel to the very top of rim. Cant do that, anymore.

After several days of testing I now know not to fill all the way to the top.

The issue was happening when the bike temp was reaching over 190. It would choke through traffic or riding around for 45min in outside heat of 100.

Also, on a side note.... my bike had the evap or emissions can deleted. Well if you don't route the hoses correctly or cap off or unplug stuff, ECU will have issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to PlayHard For This Useful Post:
missmia (06-14-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page