Front wheel noise - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front wheel noise

CBR600RR 2007

I had the front wheel off recently for a tyre change and now it's back on it's making a right load of noise.

My discs are catching the calipers but I don't think this is the cause of the noise as the noise doesn't seem to change or go away under braking.

It's a very deep rumble almost scraping noise. I suspected the bearings so lifted the front end up again but can't feel any play or grittyness.

After a 20mi drive home from work I held my hand near the centre of the wheel and there as no heat to suggest bearing trouble.

I half suspect the tyre itself is causing this, it's a Michelin Power Pure but it's damn loud I've never heard anything like this.

On another forum it was suggested it could be the spacers on the wheel? I wasn't aware there were any, I only recall seeing dust caps which appeared to cover the bearings. Are there spacers? Are they different sizes and do you have to 'space' out the front wheel for correct alignment with the calipers?

I've consulted the guide on this forum which deals with removing the front wheel and spacers/alignment was not mentioned. Whole process seemed really straight forward at the time. I'd be disappointed if it were the bearings as I was quite gentle when reassembling.

If the above is true I suspect the garage mounted the tyre to the wheel in the opposite way to previous, and I've then put the wheel back on (following the direction indicators on the tyre) opposite to how it was previously mounted.

If it is the bearings, can anyone advise part numbers? I see kits on ebay for 15 but would have thought I could get them for cheaper than this.

If anyone has an assembly diagram it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Jim Mc; 05-24-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Knee Dragger

Smile

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Knee Dragger

You can check the direction of the tire it has arrows I got piolit powers as well, that's not your problem though I'm thinking since you don't remember spacers you put them on wrong I wouldn't ride the bike until you fix this grinding from your tire isn't good

Sent from my Precedent using Motorcycle.com App

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
2007 up both front spacers are the same but they must be there! If your tire is mounted backwards you would not notice while riding.

Make sure the wheel itself is not mounted backwards. There is an arrow on the wheel and the brake rotors

WERA Expert #816
2007 600RR
http://www.ridepre.com/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the replies. Out in the gorgeous sunshine taking a look at the bike.

So the spacers are there, I thought these were just covers to protect the bearings, but clearly they're used to line the wheel up with the forks.

Taking these out and running my finger around the bearings, there doesn't appear to be a problem there at all.

There is a central collar, between the two bearings and this has play which I didn't think was very good, but I suppose when the axle is installed it won't be able to move around and since the bearings take the load, and there's no play in those, there is no problem there.

I wanted to pull the bearings out, but I'm afraid I'll have to destroy the rubber covers in order to do so, I bought a kit to replace everything but don't want to waste it if there's nothing wrong with the current setup.

When I dismantled the wheel, I discovered both calipers are catching, and taking off the left caliper first it seems to be the worst offender. Nothing I can do about this really, there doesn't appear to be any alignment on these, and there's no significant warpage on the discs.

The only thing I've done wrong is been a little over zealous with the grease when reassembling, so i've rubbed it all off and everything just has a light coating now.

There's no damage to the wheel, there's no damage to the forks, so nothing has been catching.

I'm a bit stumped? I'll refit and see what it sounds like.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Took the covers off to have a better look, didn't realise they were quite as chunky.

I'm half tempted to whip everything out and just replace it. As I watched a vid on youtube of the guy saying 'nothing much wrong with the existing bearings but I changed them anyway' so I'm wondering if I should do the same.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So i reassembled, and with the wheel back on the bike, and the axle just sitting loose, spinning the wheel by hand it seems to turn for about 15 revs and is smooth as butter.

Once I tighen the axle nut to 59Nm, I get about 7 revs out of the wheel.

When I unnipped the axle nut, and spun it again, I got about 15 revs again.

The left caliper is catching rather badly. But seems like everything is out of alignment since I had the wheel off that first time.

I measured the distance between the edge of the wheel and the bearings with a caliper, and they're symetrical on each side, about 7.98mm.

I think I need to possibly take my brakes apart and clean them, but why would the whole lot be out of kilter?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Knee Dragger

When I purchased my bike I had some annoying grinding coming from bad brake pads rubbing on the rotors. Take the calipers off and spin the tire to see if there is any noise then. I replaced my brakes and haven't had the problem since. The noise didn't really change under breaking either. I read somewhere on here that the pads harden and cause the problem.

2003 Honda CBR 600RR
Full Leo Vince SBK Exhaust
Power Commander USB III
BMC Air Filter
Stomp Grips
Fender eliminator kit
Mich Power Pure Tires
HyperPro Steering Damper
Zero Gravity Double Bubble
Driven 520 Conversion 15/45
EK MVXZ Chain
Proton Flushmount Lights
Engine Ice and
Always running Amsoil!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page