Did I throw off my alignment? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Unhappy Did I throw off my alignment?

Here's an odd question:

**Normally I would have never done this (because it was so freakin dangerous) but I was out of town and had to get back to pick up my daughter from school.**

I ended up riding on the highway for about 70 miles with a 30mph crosswind with gusts up to 45+. Needless to say it was a rather unpleasant hour or so.. constantly fighting the wind and trying to keep from blowing off the road on my little 07 RR.

Anyway, I made it through but as I got into town I notice in the reflection of a pickup truck that my wheel seemed to be misaligned.. with the handlebars straight/level my front wheel was turned to the left a bit. Not a lot, but enough for me to notice clearly with a quick glance.

This is obviously troubling. No, I did not hit anything.. not even a stiff bump in the road. Is it possible that just fighting the wind that hard for an hour or so could do this, and also.. what should I do?

Thanks
Devin

Radar Controllers Do It in the Dark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I didn't even know that could happen.I am curious on what caused this. I will check my RR today and see if the handle bars and perfectly straight with the wheel or not.

07 civic hybrid-Gas Saver
08 Tahoe LT- Family SUV
05 BMW 745LI- Weekends
07 White/silver CBR600RR-Sold
08 Konica Minolta CBR600RR-Sold :(
07 White/silver CBR600RR-Sold
09 Red/White CBR600rr- DD
Akrapovic and Hyperflo Comparison
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Me either, I'm a little freaked out. Wouldn't surprise me though, I've ridden in some windy conditions before but this was INSANE. I'll prolly take it to the shop tomorrow, but rather get input from a real person before the dealer sells me a new damn fork....

Radar Controllers Do It in the Dark

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm thinking it's probably fine. Remember wind makes you lean the bike to counter act it. So that means the wheel has to be pushed in a certain direction a little in order for the bike to lean and counter act the wind. After riding like that for a decent amount of time you probably don't even notice that your automatically counter steering.

Do remember that motorcycles do not drive straight. If you drove your bike through a paint spot you would notice the front tire lines go from left to right to left to right. This is because the bike automatically balances/corrects for itself. This is why edge traps will put you down faster then shi*. This also applies especially to slooping or rough pavement as the bike will search for an equilibrium.

Still getting it checked out doesn't hurt.

"Go out singing your own death song. Riding hard, doing something you love, and dying free."

Last edited by Roadspike; 05-24-2012 at 06:01 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do the triple trees look straight? If so it might just be your clip ons that are twisted.

I'd be very surprised if your fork tubes have twisted in the triple trees, but it isn't impossible.

The only other thing I can think of is bending the tubes, but you would of had to of hit something for that to happen (insert story where someone has bent their forks without hitting something :) ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page