Chain and sprocket change now this - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Chain and sprocket change now this

The place I bought the bike from I had them recently change my front tire and chain and sprocket change as well. They told me to keep an eye on the chain because as the miles progress the chain will start to loosen and it may need to be adjusted around 600mi.

I have put almost 200mi I would say on the chain maybe less and I was doing a go pro camera angle test and heard this, wanted to make sure this was normal or not because when I looked it up the info I saw was the chain is either too tight or misaligned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73ozr...ature=youtu.be

At 1:19 I got on it a little bit and then towards the end of the video the chain sound seemed to get worse.

Last edited by aslcbr600; 05-27-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
sounds like you might just have to adjust it. but idk how you ride with your foot over the shifter like that. I would feel like I would accidentally downshift or something.

03' 600rr- sold
07' 600rr-
sold
05' 636- sold
Currently searching
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHECKSHERx View Post
sounds like you might just have to adjust it. but idk how you ride with your foot over the shifter like that. I would feel like I would accidentally downshift or something.

I put my weight on the heel, just comfortable and feels natural that way I guess....but it doesn't sound like it's misaligned or anything?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I just put the bike on the rear stand and rotated the tire around to check the chain tension, then I put the tape measure to it and it is a little tight but I am thinking they tightened it a little more then what is put on the chain guard (1 1/4" freeplay) in compensation for the break in of the chain and it loosening up.

I didn't get an exact measurement because it's kinda dark out but it looked like it was tighter then no more of a 1/4" of the freeplay listed on the chain guard. What do you guys think I should do? Should I ride it more and let it settle or should I loosen the chain a little bit?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:28 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
lube it........................
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

^ yep put a good amout of lube on there.

did you check before you rode it that the chain was lubed? i dunno if its just the video quality but it looks kinda dry. 600RR's are notorious for having noisy chains. mine is pretty noisy too, but as long as its lubed and tightened properly you should be ok.

try this. put your bike on a rear stand and run it through the gears. this is a good way to troubleshoot this type of problem. Everytime i lube/tighten my chain I do this first before even getting on the bike and riding it.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCBR06 View Post
^ yep put a good amout of lube on there.

did you check before you rode it that the chain was lubed? i dunno if its just the video quality but it looks kinda dry. 600RR's are notorious for having noisy chains. mine is pretty noisy too, but as long as its lubed and tightened properly you should be ok.

try this. put your bike on a rear stand and run it through the gears. this is a good way to troubleshoot this type of problem. Everytime i lube/tighten my chain I do this first before even getting on the bike and riding it.

I didn't really check the chain to see if it was lubed when I left, the service dude just told me to make sure to check the chain at 600mi and lube it/clean it. It still has that white milky stuff on the chain so that could be why it looks dry in the video.

When I put the bike on the rear stand I just brought it up to maybe 15mph in 1st gear and the chain sounded fine, because it was later in the evening I didn't want the echo of it under the half shelter pissing everyone off running it any faster.

So just throw it on the rear stand rotate the tire and spray some lube on it then?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The milky white **** is excess grease they used on the chain. I rode for a short time with it before cleaning it off and getting a good coat of Chain Wax on it. If you run your chain too loose your going to hear it slap around a lot. Kerosene works great for cleaning the chain. And also great to have around when you want to start fires!

2003 Honda CBR 600RR
Full Leo Vince SBK Exhaust
Power Commander USB III
BMC Air Filter
Stomp Grips
Fender eliminator kit
Mich Power Pure Tires
HyperPro Steering Damper
Zero Gravity Double Bubble
Driven 520 Conversion 15/45
EK MVXZ Chain
Proton Flushmount Lights
Engine Ice and
Always running Amsoil!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith03RR View Post
The milky white **** is excess grease they used on the chain. I rode for a short time with it before cleaning it off and getting a good coat of Chain Wax on it. If you run your chain too loose your going to hear it slap around a lot. Kerosene works great for cleaning the chain. And also great to have around when you want to start fires!

Cool thanks!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslcbr600 View Post
I didn't really check the chain to see if it was lubed when I left, the service dude just told me to make sure to check the chain at 600mi and lube it/clean it. It still has that white milky stuff on the chain so that could be why it looks dry in the video.

When I put the bike on the rear stand I just brought it up to maybe 15mph in 1st gear and the chain sounded fine, because it was later in the evening I didn't want the echo of it under the half shelter pissing everyone off running it any faster.

So just throw it on the rear stand rotate the tire and spray some lube on it then?
I would suggest to clean off that white waxy stuff off and use the right chain lube.

Here's what you can do:

You need to warm up the chain just a bit, so ride around the block a couple of times, or put it on the stand and put the gear in 1st and let it run for a couple of minutes. then turn it off

get a bucket of soapy water and a few clean rags. wash off all the milky wax stuff and dry it with a rag. (Even better if you have kerosene or diesel fuel, that stuff works great on any kind of gunk or dirt. If you don't have it, thats ok).

Apply a generous amount of chain lube as you rotate the rear tire both ways. check the chain slack according to the manual

finally run it in 1st and 2nd gear even without putting throttle input. it will spin pretty fast and wont be too loud. wipe off any excess oil on your bike and you should be golden!

*PS. very important: never clean/lube your chain with the bike in gear! *
always turn it off or put it in neutral.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM
BOTM winner 11/12

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
really? no squidly comments yet??
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
^^^^ oh and quit wearing sneakers when riding , get some real gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page