1st Day Disaster! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down 1st Day Disaster!

So I am new to riding and finally bought me a "real" bike lol (95 cbr 600). I don't know anything mechanical wise I basically just know how to drive one. So I test drive it for a sec and it rode fine. It was 1.5 hrs away from home so I planned to ride it there. Well I went to the gas station and noticed it was saying it was running very hot and after I got gas it wouldn't start. I call the guy back and he comes and jumps it and I ask him about the temp gauge and he says it doesn't work. I start heading home and then stopped at the gas station about 45 mins later and its smoking so I turn it right off. There was not a drop of oil in it so we add it and I added coolant as well. It must have been bone dry too but I kept pouring until it was to the top of the neck (oops!) I had to push start it then I take off once again and I notice coolant running out underneath the cap and then I fwel fluid hit my foot and I pull over immediately. It was still running fine until i cut it off. I ended up towing it home. I had someone take a look and I blew 2 radiator hoses and not sure what else. Is it due to overfilling with coolant? Do u think its a major repair or not? I checked oil and it was very low but I only added a qt so it wasn't much in there anyways (not good I know). Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

BTW after adding coolant it was no longer running hot....liar
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:21 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here's my personal suggestion, and it may be overkill.

I say get a manual, either online or real, read how to drain and refill all your fluids. Drain everything, refill everything correctly... start from scratch. Imho.

Mort

2011 CBR600RR Black - Yoshi RS-5 Slip-on - Solo Rider

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

The stuff that was leaking out from the hoses was brownish fluid. I'm sure its been a very long time since its been flushed. The bike shop is picking it up tomorrow but I'm not sure how soon they can check it out. Im guessing the battery is no good so ill get that checked as well.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.

How much did you pay (if you don't mind me asking), and how long has the bike been sitting/collecting dust? Sounds to me like the bike was very poorly maintained... keep track of the advertisement as well as what the dealership says. If you paid anything over $1,500 (and even then)... it sounds like you've been screwed (assuming the advertisement listed the bike as well maintained... which they all usually do).

ASMA/CCS SW AM #36
Monster Energy
Utopia Optics
Motul
AZ-Synthetic Lubes
Vortex
AFAM
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyladii98 View Post
The stuff that was leaking out from the hoses was brownish fluid. I'm sure its been a very long time since its been flushed. The bike shop is picking it up tomorrow but I'm not sure how soon they can check it out. Im guessing the battery is no good so ill get that checked as well.
brown coolant = oil in coolant. which usually means corroded coolant or head gasget. how many miles?

2003 Red Custom 600rr -- SOLD
2007 White 600rr
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
This is all sorts of fvcked. Call that guy back and give him his bike and get all your money back.

Eric

It's so damn hot... Milk was a bad choice!

2006 CBR600RR

post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I paid $2,000 for it. And he said he had a mechanic look everything over on it and it was a good running bike. It has 38k miles on it but said the engine only had around 7k on it but who knows. I did tell him that id like my money back and he told me id have to take it up with the owner which was his friend cuz it wasn't in his name. I feel like I've been screwed to the fullest 100%. My first bike was a 06 ninja 250 and I bought it without test driving cuz I didn't know how to ride yet and had no problems what so ever! But he surely can be held responsible somehow since it was in his posession?
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Training Wheel Hero

dont trust anyone. Especially some guy selling you an older bike that isnt even his

2009 CBR600rr
  • Yoshimura RS-5 Slip-On
  • DDM HID Headlights 6000K
  • Yoshi Bar Ends and Swingarm Spools
  • Z-G Dbl-Bble Windscreen Dark Smoke
  • L.P Flushmount Turn Signals
  • Reflective Green Striped Wheels
  • CRG Roll-a Click Clutch/Brake Shorty Black
  • Dunlop Q2's
  • Progrip Gel Grips
  • Won the 2012 Sunstar chain and sprocket set giveaway-525 Chain SS f/r sprockets.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
I paid $2,000 for it. And he said he had a mechanic look everything over on it and it was a good running bike. It has 38k miles on it but said the engine only had around 7k on it but who knows. I did tell him that id like my money back and he told me id have to take it up with the owner which was his friend cuz it wasn't in his name. I feel like I've been screwed to the fullest 100%. My first bike was a 06 ninja 250 and I bought it without test driving cuz I didn't know how to ride yet and had no problems what so ever! But he surely can be held responsible somehow since it was in his posession?
how can he sell you something that is not his? Did you get a title or bill of sale?

You might want to contact or lawyer or something before its to late. Might be able to get ur cash and give that bike back. Sounds like fraud to me.

(Lemon laws are American state laws that provide a remedy for purchasers of cars in order to compensate for cars that repeatedly fail to meet standards of quality and performance.

Last edited by ToroPop; 05-29-2012 at 12:03 PM.
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
as soon as the guy came to jump your bike i would have asked for your money back right then! now your stuck with a bike that youll have to put more money into just to get it to work.

Drift Camera Forum - http://driftcamforum.com/
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yes I have the title that has been signed and notorized. Its in the shop so when they tell me what's wrong ill update.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Pocketbike Racer

You seriously bought a bike with no coolant or oil in the engine? Wow.

Good news is I have a 14million dollar check from the govt. of nigeria. All I need is your bank account, social security # and some other personal information, because I can't cash it myself. I'll split it 50/50% with you! PM me your info, ya?

ZRX1200R Eddie Lawson race replica, 2008 R1, Santander/Haga Race replica.

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidyanazo View Post

Good news is I have a 14million dollar check from the govt. of nigeria. All I need is your bank account, social security # and some other personal information, because I can't cash it myself. I'll split it 50/50% with you! PM me your info, ya?

you have one for me to!!!!!
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

3 Days.

You have three days to nullify the deal.

Or, you can chalk it up as a learning experience, but it's gonna hurt.

Best to do it all yourself, new oil, new coolant & hoses, new oil &

filter.
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidyanazo View Post

Yes, I seriously bought a bike with no coolant or oil in the engine. I've obviously learned my lesson the hard way. Next time ill bring somebody with me that can look it over for me. It may or may not be a real "loss" yet and wont know until they have a chance to look it over. Hopefully it just needs new hoses and new fluids!
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:47 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Yes, I seriously bought a bike with no coolant or oil in the engine. I've obviously learned my lesson the hard way. Next time ill bring somebody with me that can look it over for me. It may or may not be a real "loss" yet and wont know until they have a chance to look it over. Hopefully it just needs new hoses and new fluids!
haha You are so screwed bro! Well that brown fluid would be coolant and oil which explains
A) why both of them were low and
B) why he wants to sell it.

Best case is it's just dirt from never having a good flush. Worst case is the head is gone.

ALWAYS ALWAYS have someone you know take a look at it!! Did he even provide you with maintenance records? Learned your lesson? That is just common sense man!! I know maybe being a dic* right now but any good friend should berate you for the dumbass thing you just did, then support you as best they can. If I could I would look at the bike for you but I can't, so all I can do is provide you with the advice of what I would do next.

If I were you I would return the bike ASAP and consult a lawyer on what your options are.

"Go out singing your own death song. Riding hard, doing something you love, and dying free."

Last edited by Roadspike; 05-30-2012 at 02:52 AM.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadspike View Post
haha You are so screwed bro! Well that brown fluid would be coolant and oil which explains
A) why both of them were low and
B) why he wants to sell it.

Best case is it's just dirt from never having a good flush. Worst case is the head is gone.

ALWAYS ALWAYS have someone you know take a look at it!! Did he even provide you with maintenance records? Learned your lesson? That is just common sense man!! I know maybe being a dic* right now but any good friend should berate you for the dumbass thing you just did, then support you as best they can. If I could I would look at the bike for you but I can't, so all I can do is provide you with the advice of what I would do next.

If I were you I would return the bike ASAP and consult a lawyer on what your options are.
Mind you that I am a female!!! Lol that should tell you something haha. I don't know s*** about a bike exept how to drive it. The guy that picked up to take it to the shop said it didn't look like oil and more like rust and dirt. All I know is I wanted a bigger bike so I bought one!
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 01:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

In for results. Also, seeing as you have no mechanical knowledge, I recommend you get a service manual, have the shop tell you what's wrong and then fix it yourself. Go slow and have a friend with more mechanical know how help. Best way to learn, and with an older bike it is very important that you have that knowledge.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to jskateborders For This Useful Post:
luckyladii98 (05-31-2012)
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Mind you that I am a female!!! Lol that should tell you something haha. I don't know s*** about a bike exept how to drive it. The guy that picked up to take it to the shop said it didn't look like oil and more like rust and dirt. All I know is I wanted a bigger bike so I bought one!
Sigh.. take the time to sit down with a shop manual and read. Your life (literally) depends on the safety of this machine. You should get to know it very well. Plus a chick with a wrench is just damn sexy. It's like me going sky diving and not learning anything about the mechanics of the chute.

Soo I take it we have decided to keep the bike. Well congrats!! I do respect that you wanted something and went out and got it, even if it was a little too complusive. You need to keep a close eye on the fluid levels and see if they go down quick (like are you filling that up every week?). The shop was a very smart idea. Let them give you a list and go from there. Try to have them sort it out for you. Major stuff, minor stuff, and some day stuff..

Also can you put some pics of the bike up please!! Members here are a great database of information. They can pin point stuff out to you and help you get it fixed while delivering sarcasm at the same time.

"Go out singing your own death song. Riding hard, doing something you love, and dying free."

Last edited by Roadspike; 05-31-2012 at 04:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roadspike For This Useful Post:
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:21 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroPop View Post
how can he sell you something that is not his? Did you get a title or bill of sale?

You might want to contact or lawyer or something before its to late. Might be able to get ur cash and give that bike back. Sounds like fraud to me.

(Lemon laws are American state laws that provide a remedy for purchasers of cars in order to compensate for cars that repeatedly fail to meet standards of quality and performance.
Lemon Laws do not apply to a used vehicle bought privately and do not have anythin to due with her problem.... lemon law is when you bring you vehicle back to a dealer (new/certified used) and it can not be fixed 3 times for the same exact problem... then it can be categorized as a lemon... it is not one of the easiest things to pull off but yes it possible

As for the OPs problem i doubt your gonna get your money back from this person for this bike... but best bet is take this as a very good learning exp. and hopefully its not that bad when you hear from the shop... goodluck

2000 ZX6R - sold due to immaturity

2002 GSXR - Sold

2001 F4i Stunt Bike - Sold *didnt have time to really get into the sport*

2007 600rr *White/Silver* - Totaled *Recent accident*

2007 600rr *White/Silver* - New Bike... had to have the same color
The Following User Says Thank You to 02gsxxr For This Useful Post:
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoichiro_Honda View Post
You have three days to nullify the deal.

Or, you can chalk it up as a learning experience, but it's gonna hurt.

Best to do it all yourself, new oil, new coolant & hoses, new oil &

filter.
I don't know where you got that idea, but no. That's not true.
Anyways, when you buy a used bike or car from a private party, then in the bill of sale you'll notice everyone puts "there is no warrantee, expressed or implied" for that exact reason. It's up to the buyer to assess the machine and decide if they want it.

ZRX1200R Eddie Lawson race replica, 2008 R1, Santander/Haga Race replica.

Last edited by nidyanazo; 05-31-2012 at 05:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nidyanazo For This Useful Post:
Shoichiro_Honda (06-01-2012)
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I appreciate everyones opinions and ill definitely be getting a manual. I am gonna keep the bike and learn every damn thing I can about it :) He noticed off top that it needs new fork seals but I'm hoping to get a call tomorrow about the rest. I realized I did jump on it too quickly but I've been given the consequences and ill learn from it. Ill post a pic soon!
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
^^^^nice bike! good luck with the fix up.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
The Following User Says Thank You to ninja rr For This Useful Post:
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice bike! Loving the clean white look. I'm sure with a little help you will be riding the twisties in no time, gear up and stay safe!
The Following User Says Thank You to skitzo For This Useful Post:
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I am betting you will come out of this ok. The dealer repair bill is going to bite you in the ass, but other than that you will be happy in the end. Just, please, be smarter on your next purchase. Ask us what we think and what you should look for on your next buying adventure.

Team Orange
The Following User Says Thank You to jimpaine1 For This Useful Post:
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks guys! I've got my hopes up :) I've gotta get the inserts for the fairings still. It has a full two brothers racing exhaust and has been lowered 3". When I get it back ill pose for a pic n post it lol.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

If you don't need it lowered 3 inches raise it up, it will handle much better.

Team Orange
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Training Wheel Hero

hope it turns out ok for you!

nice bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page