Voltage Drop From RR to Battery - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Voltage Drop From RR to Battery

Lately my bike wouldn't crank after riding for a while. I figured out that the battery was slowly dying while I ride. I replaced the RR. I also know that my stator is good. Battery is good too. At the RR I get 13.3v at idle. At the battery I get about 12.8v. I am getting .5v voltage drop between the RR and battery. Looking at a fault finding diagram I see that I should only be getting .2v or less. Even from the RR to the ignition plug I am losing about .3v. I have checked over every inch of the wiring. There are no bad connections or frayed wires. The closer to the RR I check the voltage, the closer to 13.3v it is, but as I get farther from the RR and closer to the battery, it gets lower than 13.3v. The wires going from the RR to the battery do get pretty warm to the touch. Should I replace the wiring with a thicker gauge, or are there some other things I should check first? I modded 2 H7 dual filament bulbs in last year. If I ride with the low beams on the battery will stay charged. If I ride with the high beams on the battery will slowly go down as I ride. I haven't unplugged the headlights yet to see if that is causing my problem.

I get no voltage drop from the RR ground to the battery ground.

2003 CBR600RR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 PM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Let me know if the pics aren't clear

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Everything checks out. The stator has 0 resistance. There is no continuity between the stator and bike ground. There is no amp draw. The charging system is putting out like it should be. The problem is that the voltage is dropping .5v before reaching the battery. At idle the stator puts out 22 - 23 AC. At 5,000 it jumps into the 50s AC which is within spec.

I have the manual on my computer. I've tested everything it showed.

According to this chart I have a bad connection between the regulator and the battery, but there are no bad connections.

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf

2003 CBR600RR

Last edited by sean9721; 05-29-2012 at 10:34 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey did you ever find the solution to your problem? I'm having a similar issue, my stator shows some readings when I test it to the battery ground. I feel like my stator is the problem and its just a matter of it being wired incorrectly but I don't have a service manual to check the diagrams

I just got my stator cover painted by my friend and the problem started after that with my battery not charging. When I check the voltage coming out of the stator at idle its up around 30v. I haven't tried all those tests on the flowchart you have the link to.

I'll try that tonight, thanks for any tips.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I never found a solution to the problem. If I ride with the low beams on then my battery stays charged enough to always crank back up.

2003 CBR600RR

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I actually figured out what my problem was.

Seems like the previews owner had replaced the stator cover and he cut the 3 yellow cables that are connected to the stator (no idea why) he did a crappy job taping them back together. So the oil over time ate away the electric tape and one of the wires was hitting the cover so it was grounding the whole thing out.

I electric taped the crap out of everything and its fine now. I'm going to end up ordering another stator but I know my taping will hold up.

You might want to open up your stator and take a look. If you haven't yet

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page