Right fork had a leek. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Right fork had a leek.

2006RR 10K (black beauty)

Ok, I know it's no Bueno when your fork leaks. I was washing my bike the other day and noticed a leak in my fork. Enough to get on my brakes-scary. Cleaned it all up and waited to take another ride.

Sure enough-next ride proved that something wasn't right. I took a small card and shoved it under the fork. Went all around it, some dirt/rocks and oil came out and pulled the card out and cleaned it all up. (saw it done before on youtube) Now it seems dry and holding-well at least for the last longer ride I went on.

Right before the leak started I was at a stop light pushing down on my bike pretty hard, just messing with the shocks. That could have picked up some dust/rocks maybe? Started the leak? Card fixed it? Idk. Love your thoughts. $175 for a new seal set installed at a local shop. I'd prefer not to 'fork' out that money right now. But willing to for safety if my card clean out didn't really fix it.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Last edited by Jude20; 05-30-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i assume you meant leak

and not leek

but you may have fixed it with the card, might have just been something jamming the seal ... if no significant damage is done, crisis averted for now ....

thats not to say i wouldnt start saving for a rebuild any ways as i am sure there is some damage to the seal ... and who knows how much fluid is gone.
;)

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
i assume you meant leak

and not leek

but you may have fixed it with the card, might have just been something jamming the seal ... if no significant damage is done, crisis averted for now ....

thats not to say i wouldnt start saving for a rebuild any ways as i am sure there is some damage to the seal ... and who knows how much fluid is gone.
;)
Haha. That's awesome! My spelling sucks-even took extra classes in college tried to fix it to no avail. Thanks for the help. Won't do that again. Lol.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
bro wtf? you dont need new forks! Just need to clean and replace the fork seals.

They are $15 on ebay. Take the fork off... just the leaking side and from there if you are mechanically incline follow the how-2 on the forum and youtube and pull it apart/drain/replace/reinstall yourself. You can do it all your self for under $50.

WTF new fork set $175? I call B.S. that must be their cost to replace the seal. Anyhow thats there base price... If you choose to go that route just be prepared to add a another $1-200 to that $175 for labor and any other bs they are going to throw your way.

<<Click HERE>>
Check out my NEW & Upcoming Company.
Producing and designing gear that you, the rider actually want.

Click HERE
f/s 03 trackbike, sharkskins , chrome rear
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

and if its not leaking currently then you just had debre in the seal. Therefore the card trick should have fixed it.

#2 opinion is that the fluid leaked out ***all of it*** I seriously doubt this is the case as it will have to happen over time. Compression of the forks etc. This would have been noticeable as well. As you would have wrecked with that much oil on the tires and brakes.

So is it currently leaking? Press down on the forks and see if you see anything!

<<Click HERE>>

Click HERE
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
The Following User Says Thank You to Str8_Lurkin For This Useful Post:
Jude20 (06-01-2012)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Knee Dragger

Hahaa, a leek. Yeah 175$ is definitely not close to enough for a shop to compeltely install new forks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

The $175 is just the seals. Not the whole forks-bad explanation.This is a great hole in the wall shop that is super cheap generally. That's a whole seal replacement on both and me just bringing the bike in and them taking everything off. I don't have anyway to lift the bike properly. I'm good with them doing it.

I'll keep you guys posted on this. I was curious if anyone had ever had the card trick work or have experience like this. 10k seems early for seals though.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

my seals went out at 6600k, previous owner did wheelies though so that's prob what ruined them. Cost me 165 to get mine replaced, honda dealer was charging 250... LAWL
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

It's officially dry after two bigger rides. I purposefully rode it hard. Breaking hard-basically used the forks. All is dry. So I'm glad I suppose. Still makes me nervous. Probably go get it fixed anyway sometime.

I have another problem off topic some- I just noticed. My FI light comes on right at start for just a few seconds. This normal? Bikes pretty new to me still and I don't remember it doing that always. Never comes on during riding. Doesn't blink. Just solid FI light for a few seconds. Maybe 5secs? I need to time it. Love to here your thoughts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude20 View Post
It's officially dry after two bigger rides. I purposefully rode it hard. Breaking hard-basically used the forks. All is dry. So I'm glad I suppose. Still makes me nervous. Probably go get it fixed anyway sometime.

I have another problem off topic some- I just noticed. My FI light comes on right at start for just a few seconds. This normal? Bikes pretty new to me still and I don't remember it doing that always. Never comes on during riding. Doesn't blink. Just solid FI light for a few seconds. Maybe 5secs? I need to time it. Love to here your thoughts.

Bro there is no way you are dry... How long has it leaking? Its just no way it drained itself completely in a day. I know from experience! My guess is that you didnt have a full blown leak if you did and didnt properly clean that side of the brakes and rim not to mention the tires with gasoline (tires only) you would have and a major accident on your hands as the oil would be in-bedded in the tire. So again how long did it leak for?

And the FI light is normal! As long as it goes off in a few seconds and isnt flashing etc you are fine!

And bro seals or a few bucks... lol at that price invest in some stands take the ish off follow the how-2. Or at worst take them off get the seals and buy the fluid and then take them to the show to be done. Noway in hell they should charge more than $50. And that is taking into account their ridiculous inflation.

<<Click HERE>>

Click HERE
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8_Lurkin View Post
Bro there is no way you are dry... How long has it leaking? Its just no way it drained itself completely in a day. I know from experience! My guess is that you didnt have a full blown leak if you did and didnt properly clean that side of the brakes and rim not to mention the tires with gasoline (tires only) you would have and a major accident on your hands as the oil would be in-bedded in the tire. So again how long did it leak for?

And the FI light is normal! As long as it goes off in a few seconds and isnt flashing etc you are fine!

And bro seals or a few bucks... lol at that price invest in some stands take the ish off follow the how-2. Or at worst take them off get the seals and buy the fluid and then take them to the show to be done. Noway in hell they should charge more than $50. And that is taking into account their ridiculous inflation.
What I meant by dry was they weren't leaking anymore. Dry forks. So I'm pretty sure the problem is fixed or at least postponed. I do need to buy a stand and I'd probably have no problem doing it myself.

FI quit coming on lol. Right after the post. Only comes on normal like when you turn the ignition. All is good with my bike for now lol. Thx!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Moto GP Racer

Good to hear!

<<Click HERE>>

Click HERE
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page