Brakes Help!!! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brakes Help!!!

So i replaced my old front wheel and tire since i had that accident and it was bent. For the install i used this thread https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=78102
and evertything was going perfect until i put on the brake calipers. I put the brake calipers and tighten them up and when i go to test if the wheel can spin freely it moves barely and hits the discs can feel it easily this is freaking me out its my first ever change on the front wheel so i dont know if i did anything wrong but i did everything in order and the steps. Is it normal to hit the disks when the tire is freely spinning in the air. I dont think so because ive done plenty changes on cars and the wheel moves freely all the time. Any help is appreciated i did use my old brake pads but dont thing that could be a issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin4o2005 View Post
So i replaced my old front wheel and tire since i had that accident and it was bent. For the install i used this thread https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=78102
and evertything was going perfect until i put on the brake calipers. I put the brake calipers and tighten them up and when i go to test if the wheel can spin freely it moves barely and hits the discs can feel it easily this is freaking me out its my first ever change on the front wheel so i dont know if i did anything wrong but i did everything in order and the steps. Is it normal to hit the disks when the tire is freely spinning in the air. I dont think so because ive done plenty changes on cars and the wheel moves freely all the time. Any help is appreciated i did use my old brake pads but dont thing that could be a issue
What do you mean when you say the front wheel is hitting the discs...shouldn't they be attached together and rotate together? I'm just trying to get a better picture of what your issue is.

Do you mean to say the disc rotors are rubbing against the brake pads?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

hey sorry about the misunderstanding but yes ur right i meant that the brake pads is rubbing against the disks. i wonder if thats normal because in cars whenever i changed wheels or brakes the wheel then still spins freely in the air

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
I'm not positive because I just got my RR a month ago, but I noticed a rubbing sound from my front break pads when I would push the bike around. I switched the front pads to ceramic and cleaned the rotors well with a green scotch bright pad and it helped a lot. The ceramic pads were advertised as making less noise, so I think this is a common problem.
You may need to just clean your rotors with brake cleaner and a Scotch pad to remove any surface rust and debris.

Sent from deep in the swamps of Louisiana.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

2010 Leyla
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
It should still spin somewhat freely, though. If the pads are rubbing so much that they stop the tire from spinning, then the pads may have slipped out of position or the just need to be opened up a little more.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

2010 Leyla
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
I changed my tires and brake pads last weekend and when I was done, I could give the tire a good spin and it would go 3-4 revolutions before stopping.
Did you bounce the front forks while holding the front brake while the left pinch bolts were still loose to seat the axle? I've heard some say when they skipped this step, the tire would barely make one revolution. Maybe try this if you didn't do it that way.
There are a lot of threads here with slightly different recommendations. I read a lot of them before I did mine and just took bits from all of them.

2010 Leyla
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Pocketbike Racer

It is normal for the brake pads to rub a little more than usual against the disc rotors after you disassemble and reassemble the calipers. I did the same thing a couple months ago, and was initially worried about the rubbing because I had no idea what it was at the time.

Before bolting your calipers back onto the wheel, make sure you widen up the pistons as much as you can. Use maybe with a screwdriver wrapped in cloth (so you don't damage the pistons) and wiggle it back and forth or with your hands to open them up, and put it back in as quickly as possible.

The pistons will slowly relax and start to close, which will cause some rubbing. Once you start riding around a bit, the brake pads will initially wear a bit more than normal but the rubbing will go away fairly quickly.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
its uneven pressure.... when you remount tires/brakes etc... you arent suppose to grab a had full of brake. Instead do as suggested^ and widen the calipers just enough to mount with ease.

Once mounted slowly apply pressure to the brakes...NOT a hand full.

Also there still will be a slight sound of the pads matting with the rotors. -Normal. Be sure to clean the rotors after every change!

<<Click HERE>>
Check out my NEW & Upcoming Company.
Producing and designing gear that you, the rider actually want.

Click HERE
f/s 03 trackbike, sharkskins , chrome rear
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Cant help but to comment as well... I just changed my rotors & pads. EBC Extreme Pro Rotors & Pads. I noticed a big difference in sounds after changing them. Took the bike to the shop just to get a second Prof. opinion. They said its normal for what I changed to. Now that rotors & pads are bedded in. WOW! They work awesome. Stop on a dime. A lot of the noise that you hear are what the other guys in here were talking about... Pressure and the fact of new pads. They will get more quiet as use goes on.
Make sure to inspect your rotors for galling or beads. (BEADS) little beads will form if the rotor was not inspected and cleaned thourougly after production. This will cause your pads to be chipped and bad & the rotor will be bad. ( Call the company and have them give you new ones ). Happened to me with the EBC's. Great company. Didnt even want the damaged ones back. Sent brand new ones!!!! Just writingr FYI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page