2007 6000-7000 RPM roughness - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2007 6000-7000 RPM roughness

Hey guys,

I've been having some issues with my 07' and i'm hoping someone can help me diagnose what's going on.

Firstly, the bike takes a long time to prime . . . maybe 3 seconds. Even then, I would say it primes only 95% percent of the time when I flick the kill switch from off to on. It always eventually primes after having to flip the kill switch back and forth 10-15 times. This was the first issue and started through many different tanks of premium. I figured it was a loose wire or relay.

The more recent issue is that the throttle has become very abrupt recently when going from full closed to cracked open. The bikes surges and sputters significantly and then smooths out as the RPM's pick up. . . . until you hit about 6.5-7k rpm . At that point almost exactly, in any gear, the bike starts to sputter and get sluggish again if you try to cruise in that range with the throttle at a constant level of open-ness. This issue has also persisted through many tanks of premium gas as well as fuel injector cleaner. I actually thought the chain was too tight or too loose at first, but after checking that wasn't the issue. Then we thought there was too much throttle free play. After adjusting this, it didn't make any difference either. Now I'm thinking electronics of some sort, especially considering it happens at the exact same RPM every time.

Anybody have thoughts on this? Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Training Wheel Hero

What RPM range is your bike idling at?
May be bad fuel pump. No diff than a car fuel pump. Pump starts going bad and you will start to get a sputtering/sluggish feel due to insufficient fuel flow/injection. May not be through all stages of throttling, just only as you start trying to pull more fuel at those RPM's...?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BROS600CBR/RR View Post
What RPM range is your bike idling at?
May be bad fuel pump. No diff than a car fuel pump. Pump starts going bad and you will start to get a sputtering/sluggish feel due to insufficient fuel flow/injection. May not be through all stages of throttling, just only as you start trying to pull more fuel at those RPM's...?
From memory I couldn't tell you, but it certainly sounds normal and smooth with no roughness at idle. Fuel pump is worth investigating, anyone know of a way to test that theory without simply replacing it and hoping?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Have you had a local shop run diagnostics on the bike yet or is this all garage work done so far? As far as it needing to have the on/off switch flipped so many times before fully priming I would suggest it is something electrical but on the other hand I wouldnt rule out a plugged fuel filter... Did you ever run the bike really low on gas and had the bike get fairly cold (mid 40's) if so I would say you may still have condensation in the line which would cause the previously stated issues... Have a shop take a look at it hopefully just a fouled injector or something simple, hope I was somewhat of an assistance

Unless life also hands you sugar and water your lemonade is going to suck
The Following User Says Thank You to ckalous422 For This Useful Post:
whamp (06-14-2012)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalous422 View Post
Have you had a local shop run diagnostics on the bike yet or is this all garage work done so far? As far as it needing to have the on/off switch flipped so many times before fully priming I would suggest it is something electrical but on the other hand I wouldnt rule out a plugged fuel filter... Did you ever run the bike really low on gas and had the bike get fairly cold (mid 40's) if so I would say you may still have condensation in the line which would cause the previously stated issues... Have a shop take a look at it hopefully just a fouled injector or something simple, hope I was somewhat of an assistance
I bought it from a dealership in December in Michigan. SO i'm betting the condensation in the lines could be it. Everything has been garage work so far. I try to avoid getting raped by the dealerships as much as possible.

btw taking out the extra throttle slack didn't work either.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check that the kill switch is clean inside......

some have had problems w/the Killswitch interrupting engine ops.

I only use key/ignition to start stop motor routinely.

Kswitch ONLY in emerg.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Training Wheel Hero

let me know if you find anything out. mine seems to do something similar, mostly in second gear and most noticeable when you slow down and go to ease on the throttle...its really jerky almost sounds like its missing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page