Scorpio alarm wtf? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Scorpio alarm wtf?

I've had my Scorpio SR-i900 for almost a year now. It's worked great for the most part besides two small things...

From the very beginning, only one side of my blinkers flashed when the alarm arms/disarms and engages. Not a huge deal but a little annoying considering the money I paid for the system. The real problem is false activations. The "tilt" alarm used to go off quite frequently. Maybe twice or three times a week. There was nothing near the bike and a few times I was standing right there and the bike certainly was not tilted or even touched.

I sent it to Scorpio and they replaced the main control module under warranty and sent it back out to me. I took my time re-installing everything yesterday to make sure that everything was done correctly. Powered it up and it worked fine with a few tests. All signals flashed when supposed to. Great, right? Problem solved... Not so much

Within 24 hours, I've had 6 false activations on the tilt alarm. I tried moving the control module to a different position in the tail along with moving the RFID sensor away so that there is no chance of interference from it. Still have gotten two false activations since I moved everything.

I can't seem to find much info on the net so it does not seem like this is a common issue. Is there something I may be overlooking? The alarm is mounted flat in the tail and mounted solid so that there is no movement. I tried two different orientations/positions in the tail and it hasn't helped. All wires & sensors are hooked up correctly.

TL;DR - Scorpio SR-i900 with many false "tilt" activations. Tried several troubleshooting methods and was sent out for replacement by Scorpio and still have the issues.

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the 1100se and have not had that problem. I'm guessing the control module is level? is anything moving/shifting around when under the seats or panels between when you ride and the tilt alarm goes off. I know that when I'm at work and it rains my perimeter sensor goes off a couple of times I'm guessing its because of water getting under my seat some how messes with the sensor and my siren has came unplugged three times between in the past month after 30 minutes of riding.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:05 PM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Operator Error IMO

The Following User Says Thank You to sincalirider For This Useful Post:
LanCo Rider (06-10-2012)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

The module is as level as it can be in the trunk. I may try hooking up the power wire with the bike on a rear stand so it is perfectly level when it gets initial power. I hooked it all up with the bike on the kickstand. Not sure if that could mess with it...

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

After doing a whole lot of research... It seems that the main control module (where the shock/tilt sensor is located) is sensitive to heat change. When the module cools down after the bike is ridden, the alarm is tripped for some reason. I am going to try insulating it from the heat from my exhaust and see if that changes anything.

It seems that the alarm is triggered about 30 minutes after I am done riding which would make sense. It has also been activated after sitting for several hours though. IDK... Worth a shot

Quote:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dang I never thought about that... I would take it apart and look inside. You might be about to line the inside with a piece of aluminum and have that solve the problem.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Used some duct insulation to line the inside of the tail section. Idled the bike until it hit 220* and left it there for a few minutes to test the capabilities of the insulation and it seems to drastically reduce the temp inside the tail. Turned the bike off and had no false alarms... Hopefully this kicks the issue!

Quote:
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Rode to work last night and had no false alarms after parking it. I think I may have finally solved this dilemma.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page