*help* Sluggish start when hot - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
*help* Sluggish start when hot

I have an 03 RR, starts right up when cold, but when hot from riding and I shut the bike off for a few minutes and try to crank her over it's takes a few seconds to start very sluggish to start. Anyone know what it can be? Bike now has about 13k miles.

Power commander, full yoshimura carbon fiber exhuast, bmc air filter, smoked flush mount led's signals, rear led intergrated signal, Scott's steering damper, air horns, hid's head lights, under body led's lighting, custom alarm with pager, 190/55 R17 michelin 2ct rear tire, black powder coated swing arm, black engine cases, black pegs, Vortex levers, steel braided brake lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Knee Dragger

When you get done riding one day check your battery voltage and see what it is.

2003 CBR600RR

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9721 View Post
When you get done riding one day check your battery voltage and see what it is.
New battery (voltage is fine) and new regulator/rectifier bike just wants to act up when hot.

Power commander, full yoshimura carbon fiber exhuast, bmc air filter, smoked flush mount led's signals, rear led intergrated signal, Scott's steering damper, air horns, hid's head lights, under body led's lighting, custom alarm with pager, 190/55 R17 michelin 2ct rear tire, black powder coated swing arm, black engine cases, black pegs, Vortex levers, steel braided brake lines.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Is it slow to turn over or is it just taking a little more cranking to fire up?

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Some of them stink.

A bit of reading and you'll have a chance to filter the bullshit from the good oil
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Little more cranking over

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:57 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Depending on how much a little is.

Its not uncommon to have to crank a motor a few seconds longer when its hot to get it to start. Some are just like that.
But saying that amongst other things.. if the idle speed was a touch to slow that could cause the problem. What year in the bike?

A bit of reading and you'll have a chance to filter the bullshit from the good oil
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Depending on how much a little is.

Its not uncommon to have to crank a motor a few seconds longer when its hot to get it to start. Some are just like that.
But saying that amongst other things.. if the idle speed was a touch to slow that could cause the problem. What year in the bike?
It's a 03 RR

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double RR View Post
It's a 03 RR
Maybe it needs the idle turned up a touch. Any idea what the idle speed is at the moment? Theres a knob sticking out of the left hand side of the motor if it needs adjusting.

I noticed you have a power commander, full pipe and filter.. Has it been set up on a dyno?

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-14-2012 at 11:52 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Maybe it needs the idle turned up a touch. Any idea what the idle speed is at the moment? Theres a knob sticking out of the left hand side of the motor if it needs adjusting.

I noticed you have a power commander, full pipe and filter.. Has it been set up on a dyno?
Nope, never dynoed it, just a lap top tune, when the bike is on and running its a beast just that one issue on hot start ups.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

The downloadable generic maps are not really the best.
I would be getting it dynoed / custom tuned to get the most out of the bike and mods, it could also be contributing to the hot starting issue.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-15-2012 at 02:24 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
The downloadable generic maps are not really the best.
I would be getting it dynoed / custom tuned to get the most out of the bike and mods, it could also be contributing to the hot starting issue.
Last summer when I didn't have the power commander just had a performance filter the bike was the same way with that sluggish start when hot, that was one of the reasons I got the power commander, I thought it would help me out.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
might be time for a starter rebuild!

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Yup was Gunna say the same thing, the heat can affect the way the electricity flows through your starter meaning it takes a couple more revolutions from your starter to build up the crank speed to fire the engine... Don't think I said that as clear as possible but when the starters. Old lets say it spins at 5 rotAtions per second and when it's hot maybe only 3 so that is the reason its sluggish when warm

Unless life also hands you sugar and water your lemonade is going to suck
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalous422 View Post
Yup was Gunna say the same thing, the heat can affect the way the electricity flows through your starter meaning it takes a couple more revolutions from your starter to build up the crank speed to fire the engine... Don't think I said that as clear as possible but when the starters. Old lets say it spins at 5 rotAtions per second and when it's hot maybe only 3 so that is the reason its sluggish when warm
Oh ok, sounds about right to me, am gonna look into that, thanks guys

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalous422 View Post

yes, and it doesnt help with the carbon build up in the sealed starters, eventually the thing will turn into a dead short when hot (see all the my bike wont start when hot threads, many of them are starters in need of a rebuild)

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 02:31 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
might be time for a starter rebuild!
That crossed my mind before I replied to the thread. (See my first question) But he said that it was cranking over a little longer, not that it was cranking slower which would have lead me down a different path (Possible starter / lead problem)

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-16-2012 at 02:36 AM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 02:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double RR View Post
Last summer when I didn't have the power commander just had a performance filter the bike was the same way with that sluggish start when hot, that was one of the reasons I got the power commander, I thought it would help me out.
Was the problem there before the filter and pipe were installed?

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Was the problem there before the filter and pipe were installed?
Yup, problem was there before I did change all charging parts (stator, ratifier, battery) thinking that may be the problem. I never bother changing the starter because it worked.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:06 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Can you confirm-

What the idle speed is when hot?

Also is it cranking slower when its hot compaired to when its cold or is it the same?

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have the same problem and have been told its the starter. From what I hear the engine has a high amount of compression and the starter can't crank the engine as well as it needs to. That along with the radiator fan drawing power.

Do your cluster lights go dim when trying to start the bike while hot, almost like your battery is dying?

I'd like to get this one figured out myself but haven't had time to mess with the starter :(

03' CBR 600RR
03' CBR 954RR

Last edited by iptydafool; 06-16-2012 at 03:58 AM.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iptydafool View Post
I have the same problem and have been told its the starter. From what I hear the engine has a high amount of compression and the starter can't crank the engine as well as it needs to. That along with the radiator fan drawing power.

Do your cluster lights go dim when trying to start the bike while hot, almost like your battery is dying?

I'd like to get this one figured out myself but haven't had time to mess with the starter :(
Yes it does! I guess I will be shopping for a oem starter

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
let us know how it goes!

03' CBR 600RR
03' CBR 954RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page