Clutch Adjustment - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Clutch Adjustment

I have a 2007 cbr600rr, bone stock with 7500 KM. I recently purchased the bike with little experience in 600rr's. I was having the shift to neutral, clunk to first but I found this thread... https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=283198&highlight=engage&page=2 and I understand what I was doing wrong.

Anyways, my clutch was releasing late on the lever, which I know is completely adjustable and 100% personal preference. My question is, after adjusting my clutch lever, to engage at the mid to 3/4 mark, is this enough to fully ENGAGE and fully DISENGAGE the clutch. Here are the pics.

Full Engage (0 slack in lever)

Full Disengage (Lever tight to bar)

The reason I ask this, is because when in neutral, with a small amount of slack in the lever, there is a faint vibration in the whole bike - as opposed to no vibration with the clutch lever squeezed approximately 1/8".

I can take this vibration out of the bike all together by putting more strain on the cable, at the lever(threading out the adjuster), but this ultimately pulls the cable forward leaving me unsure if I am going to be fully engaged, as well as it leaves me with a 3/4 to late engagement.

BTW, both adjusters (lever and adjuster on clutch) are in the mid position at the moment. So there is lots of adjustment available.

Sorry if this isn't clear. I can get more pics/info/video if needed. Thanks for reading and troubleshooting in advance. Matt

There's no such thing as too much CF.
Click HERE for my build thread!

Last edited by mtanner; 06-12-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Forget about the vibration/noise on the clutch it is normal. just adjust the clutch lever/cable so that you have approx 10-20mm (based on how you like it) of free play on the end of the lever.

If you adjust it so there isnt any free play theres a high risk of the clutch slipping under load and burning the clutches out.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Some of them stink.

A bit of reading and you'll have a chance to filter the bullshit from the good oil
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
mtanner (06-14-2012)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Like he said, the only adjustment is the clutch lever free play which, for my bike, an '05, as per the manual, is 10-20mm.
The Following User Says Thank You to sportsluvr For This Useful Post:
mtanner (06-15-2012)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Ok, I understand. But, based on the pictures, is the clutch engaging enough that I don't have to worry about slipping under high loads.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I'm not following you completely. The picture looks ok to me. The vibration could be due to the fact that the clutch is somewhat engaged when you think you are in neutral due to insufficient/incorrect free play.

Two suggestions. One, you should read up the section on how to adjust the free play. Yes, it seems straightforward but the manual is still the bible. Two, go to the nearest dealer and check out how the clutch lever feels when you release it.

The picture looks ok to me, but it does not seem right to me that the clutch slips for you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Based on them pics. It looks like you have not got any freeplay on the cable/lever (but that angle of the clutch pivot could be different to others depending on how worn the clutch is. You cant really judge it by that)Hence that is why the freeplay is important to get right. So I would think the clutch would slip when it warms up if its left like it is.

There needs to be slack in the cable to allow for the clutch to expand so that it wont start to disengage the clutch and cause it to slip.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Some of them stink.

A bit of reading and you'll have a chance to filter the bullshit from the good oil
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Alright, there is no slippage, but this is a just-in-case scenario to ensure myself I wont have future issues. I have made adjustments and the clutch feels better. I think half of the issue might be an insecurity in my head haha. Thanks for the feedback sportsluvr and pommieb!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page