Troubleshoot - Cam Chain Tensioner CCT ??? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Troubleshoot - Cam Chain Tensioner CCT ???

I have had a hard crash, and my season started way too late. Now it has anyway. I have been riding a few miles on the street, instructed on a course i may and not really more than that. The bike felt ok anyway, I even let a friend who is a good rider test it too get rid of my fears for a technical failure.

But at the first practice last tuesday I thought that it "ticked" a bit more than usual, and asked a friend to listen to it. He revved it up to 7-8k rpm, and on the way down (engine break) there was a kind of "burring" sound from inside on the right side. Sounds like the cam chain rattles for a second and several people has said instantly that itīs the CCT. Iīve also found alot online that indicates that the stock CCT is bad and often brakes.

I have two questions ībout this.

1. First, the CCT are supposed to "lock" and arenīt reversible - right? In that case, I suppose it can reverse a little anyway, but how much? Cause if itīs "nothing" (not likely) the chain shouldnīt rattle even if the CCT stops pushing unless the chain has been streched. And in that case the problem is more severe than just the CCT.

Comments on this PLEASE! But if you guess or speculate, be clear about that to avoid confusion.

2. I have already ordered a new CCT, seems like a good start anyway. When changing this, do I have to dismount the engine top (donīt know the englsh word for it) to make sure that the chain dont "jumps" over the camshaft pinion?

When looking in the manual, it looks likes thereīs a plate ontop of the chain and pinions to make that impossible, but I donīt want to gamle with it and risk valve-salad at first start up.

-----------------------------------------
"When in doubt, pin it!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Hmmmm... wish I knew the answer to this. I did a quick search and found that this can be a very sensitive area on the bike. If you aren't confident and mechanically incline according to the threads I read. Adjusting/tightening/replacing the cam chain incorrectly will lead to a blown motor within seconds of starting the bike. It does not appear to be a How-2 thread on this matter... therefore I would recommend that you wait for Nico or Tenjin or Sincal to chim in on this matter. Nico more likely can provide you with proper instructions on how to tackle this.

Since you have the parts... is there a reputable shop in the area that you trust and reasonably price you can take the bike and parts to?

Sorry wish I could be more of an assistance.

-Str8

<<Click HERE>>
Check out my NEW & Upcoming Company.
Producing and designing gear that you, the rider actually want.

Click HERE
f/s 03 trackbike, sharkskins , chrome rear
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Changing out the CCT isn't very mechanically difficult. on the 07+ bikes it can be a b!tch because the CCT is nearly innaccessable.. but on the 03-06 bikes it is much easier.

Nico has a "how-to" thread on replacing the CCT

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR
The Following User Says Thank You to v-tec crx For This Useful Post:
Agile (06-18-2012)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8_Lurkin View Post
If you aren't confident and mechanically incline according to the threads I read.

-Str8
Yup, hopefully Nico has some input that clarifies this.

Iīm not afraid to open the cylinder head or do a valve clearance check. Below that, and mess with the crankshaft, lifting off cylinders and such.. That I donīt like.

My problem now is time, lazyness and general trouble shooting.

Is the chain locked to the camshaft pinions by that "plate/bridge" that is ontop according to the service manual?

If the chain is "locked" to the camshaft pinions, do I still have to put it TDC?

Above meaning, do I have to lift the cylinder head to "secure" the chain from hopping over the pinions? (Put a strap through it or something)

If not, should I lift it anyway to check for something else?

Is it common that the CCT fails? The is a ī06 and hasnīt much mileage.

Does anyone have pictures on the special tool for the CCT, so that I can make one similar to it?

Before mounting the new CCT, one should "fill it" with oil. Do I need the special tool for that?

Can anyone explain, or link to a explanation of a more detailed describtion of the CCTs function mechanically?

Last, can this have anything to do with me changing oil to a 10w-50 racing oil?

And is there anything Iīve missed? Could it "likely" be anything else that Iīm not thinking of? Up til now the bike has been perfect and the only thing I can think of is that I thought it ticked a bit more than normal, then again - itīs a 5 year old racebike, and last years "tick" was really not anything to be hanged up about.

"When in doubt, pin it!"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Oh, and itīs a 600RR -06 prepped for SuperStock (stock engine) with full akra and PC III yadda yadda...

Nothing should be strange inside of it anyway.

"When in doubt, pin it!"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

...bump...

"When in doubt, pin it!"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Look i change mine alone.. My father is a car mechanic and i am in the last year of my studies to be car mechanic. So i know some things about it. It is very easy to change the CCT.

1) I align the T mark with the index mark on the right crankcase cover.
You can dismount the cylinder head cover to see the camshafts marks "IN" & "OUT" but i don't think it is necessary
2) Then remove the screw from the end of the tensioner and insert a tool like the new tensioner's tool and unscrew (clockwise) the inside bolt of the tensioner and lock it in position.

3) Then unscrew the two tensioner bolts and pull it out

4) Insert the new CCT and gasket (tensioner in zero position with the tool locked and the lifter inside the tensioner)

5) Tighten the two bolts and pull the CCT tool. You will hear the tensioner to be extended

6) Tighten the screw on the back of the tensioner and turn the crankshaft clockwise 2-3 turns and check while turning around that there is no case that the motor can't be turned.
If you dismount the cylinder head cover check the camshafts marks "IN" & "OUT" to be in position with the T mark an the mark on the crankcase cover
You can start your engine!!!

Hope that this helps you

Apostolis

Akrapovic Ti Slip-on-----Arrow headers
Dynojet PowerCommander V -----Dynojet Autotune
Tripage IT RED
Racing windscreen -----Flushmount turn signals-----Frame sliders
Michelin Power Pure 2CT ----- White Rims
Bi-xenon projector 6000k white angel eyes
1000RR Led mirrors

My built:https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=226731

Last edited by mechanictp; 06-20-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: wrong word
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agile View Post
Yup, hopefully Nico has some input that clarifies this.

Iīm not afraid to open the cylinder head or do a valve clearance check. Below that, and mess with the crankshaft, lifting off cylinders and such.. That I donīt like.

My problem now is time, lazyness and general trouble shooting.

Is the chain locked to the camshaft pinions by that "plate/bridge" that is ontop according to the service manual?

If the chain is "locked" to the camshaft pinions, do I still have to put it TDC?

Above meaning, do I have to lift the cylinder head to "secure" the chain from hopping over the pinions? (Put a strap through it or something)

If not, should I lift it anyway to check for something else?

Is it common that the CCT fails? The is a ī06 and hasnīt much mileage.

Does anyone have pictures on the special tool for the CCT, so that I can make one similar to it?

Before mounting the new CCT, one should "fill it" with oil. Do I need the special tool for that?

Can anyone explain, or link to a explanation of a more detailed describtion of the CCTs function mechanically?

Last, can this have anything to do with me changing oil to a 10w-50 racing oil?

And is there anything Iīve missed? Could it "likely" be anything else that Iīm not thinking of? Up til now the bike has been perfect and the only thing I can think of is that I thought it ticked a bit more than normal, then again - itīs a 5 year old racebike, and last years "tick" was really not anything to be hanged up about.

Honestly bro I have no Ideal. I would have thought Nico would have chimmed in already. I wonder if there is a How-2 thread for this.

Perhaps this guy^ knows what he is talking about. Sorry! BEst

<<Click HERE>>
Check out my NEW & Upcoming Company.
Producing and designing gear that you, the rider actually want.

Click HERE
f/s 03 trackbike, sharkskins , chrome rear
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page