Help!! Frame Sliders - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help!! Frame Sliders

I followed the instructions to install the woodcraft frame sliders.. I held my breath and cut haha. Cuts went perfect my problem is the sliders themselfs.

Why is the right hand slider stick out sooo much farther then the left slider?

Now before go screaming different bolt sizes. I pulled both back out and check to make sure the long bolt and long pucket holder were on the left side and the short ones were on the right side.

It's bugging the **** out of me and I can't find anything wrong with it. Unless maybe there is a bumper behind the fairing that came off or was moved so the fairing is getting pushed in more??

You can clearly see the right side is sticking a bit farther out then the left.

"Go out singing your own death song. Riding hard, doing something you love, and dying free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I don't have woodcraft, but I have vortex sliders and my right side sticks out farther than the left. Was told by other people with vortex sliders it was normal.

"From the land of Pleasant Living"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Sometimes, designers have a different view of what they feel is acceptable.

Lop-sided is ok, if you're a run of the mill perfectionist. Close is a relative term in things that stick out from a bike when the sole intent is in being made to be broken, so why would a customer care about such a lack of symmetry?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
edit: never mind

did yo notice that the frame mounts are on slightly different levels off the ground. there is not much symmetry on these bikes.

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR

Last edited by v-tec crx; 06-19-2012 at 09:00 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Symmetry is relative. The panels are completely different from one side of the bike to the other.

If you were making a product, where a customer has to drill precision holes for its installation, wouldn't you at least try to make it visually symmetric so that it matched in looks for both sides?

I don't think Woodcraft or any of the other frame slider companies pay enough attention to the specifics of their products and basically just make a bunch of garbage that doesn't quite fit. Some details are important. Generic, across all sportbike realms of fitment simply doesn't cut it.

The frame sliders should be even from the fairings in the amount they stick out so that it looks somewhat better than that. One shouldn't just barely stick out a quarter of an inch while the other is out an inch. Woodcraft has tons of tools, and personnel, why can't they do it better?

Good that you contacted them. Have to say it's not wise to just shim out with washers, it will,reduce the bolt length inside the slider, creating potential for other problems.

If you're that anal about them sticking out the same length, the longer one looks ok, the shorter one seems too short. Measure the length you want it to be and just have another made for you out of Delrin at a machine shop. Should be next to nothing to turn a piece of plastic to match.

And Woodcraft isn't far from the mark in stating that sometimes the sliders are too long and catch and snap. At least they try, so that improves their grade for effort. Unfortunately, it's the rarest of occasions which allow that to be a totality in review.

Or you could just send it back to Woodcraft with specific length change criteria, telling them why the product doesn't meet expectations. They could easily find or make one to fit your bike. If I worked there, I'd do it, no problem.

Last edited by Shoichiro_Honda; 06-21-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Add to post.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-tec crx View Post
edit: never mind

did yo notice that the frame mounts are on slightly different levels off the ground. there is not much symmetry on these bikes.
^^This is why. I got some sliders and was looking where they went and noticed the holes they go in are at different heights slightly. I thought maybe I was crazy but I guess not
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

yeah... think its just me being picky and paranoid.

Maybe someone can post some 07-12 woodcraft pics and help me sleep better at night lol

My friend actually gave me a brillant idea. He said why don't you stack washers on the left side till it matchs the right side more. I think I might try this.

Here is the response from woodcraft. I emailed them. They do have some great customer service. He got back to me quick!

You are all set. The sliders are so low on that bike (due to the motor mount location) that we made both of the sliders as short as the can be. This allows them to protect the bike without having the propensity to catch on things when sliding and flip the motorcycle. We have even seen other sliders that were too long on that bike hit curbs and cause crashes. The kit you have is long proven in racing and will serve you well.

Just to be sure, you can double check the length of the bases. Overall, the aluminum base should be 1.63 inches long, and the right should be 1.26 inches long

Thanks,

Eric Wood
President

"Go out singing your own death song. Riding hard, doing something you love, and dying free."

Last edited by Roadspike; 06-19-2012 at 10:27 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well I have heard woodcrafts run shorter. I got some OES ones and they had a collar for one side to make it stick out more and be more even. That would prob do the washer thing on that one side, not to make it even but so it sticks out a tad more so if you drop it in your driveway. Least then it would protect your fairings a bit more.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadspike View Post
My friend actually gave me a brillant idea. He said why don't you stack washers on the left side till it matchs the right side more. I think I might try this.
I dunno man, even the president of the company told you in the e-mail, "The kit you have is long proven in racing and will serve you well."

It's your bike so do whatever you want to it, no one can judge you. But you can't expect the same proven results if you modify the slider, there's a reason they're made the way they're made.

"From the land of Pleasant Living"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Knee Dragger

Maybe the slider on one side needs to be longer to protect the what stick out on that side of the bike?

08 CBR600RR:
Two Bro CF Slip
Arrow Headers
8000K Headlights
EBC Double H-Sintered (front and rear) eh
Lamin-x Dark Tint for Headlights
Kriega US-30
Powder Coated Rear and pegs

FS: PM if for info & Pics
Bazzaz FI TC w/Custom Map $430
Bank angle Sensor $20
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Don't worry about it, frame is different on either side of the bike anyway, short sliders are better than long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadspike View Post

The SV next to you, what am I looking at? Some kind of security anchor that clips around the frame slider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page