Best way to examine forks for damage? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best way to examine forks for damage?

Well, after 5 years of riding I finally had my first accident involving another car. Pretty standard scenario, oncoming car apparently didn't see me and decided to make a quick left turn. I t-boned his civic right quarter panel and ended up on the other side of the car.

Long story short my 05' is being written off with the majority of damage to the upper cowl and headlight, and I'm trying to decide if I want to retain it as a salvage and rebuild it during the winter. Obviously my big concern is frame or fork damage. From what I can tell, both appear to be intact with no damage... but what do I know?

I was told that the first thing to look for is damage to the front wheel. I'm guessing the main reasoning there is that any impact that is hard enough to damage the frame or forks would damage the rim first. From what I can tell there is no damage to the wheel, and when I put it up on stand it seems to spin fine. When I hold the brake and push forward or down the forks compress and rebound with no problems.

I guess my big question is whether or not it is possible to have damage to the forks that is great enough to cause problems, but small enough that it's not immediately obvious to the naked eye? I know the best option is to have it checked out, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how big of a job I'm looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 01:49 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I would definitely pull the forks to have them checked. Pretty simple procedure.

Unbolt the two bolts that hold the fairing stay bracket to the frame and disconnect the wire connectors of the main harness. SHould be only two of them.

Remove the side view mirrors and remove the six screws holding the upper cowl and side fairings together.

Remove the whole upper cowl/headlight assembly as a whole piece.

Remove the caliper bolts and support the calipers somehow.

Youll have easy access to the 10/12mm bolts that you loosen to allow the fork to slide out of the triple tree.

Then get the forks checked. I think the limit is .004 out of round? Maybe even more?

You'll also want to check the triple tree to make sure it hasn't tweaked.
The Following User Says Thank You to xcellflyer For This Useful Post:
Decipi (09-15-2012)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcellflyer View Post
I would definitely pull the forks to have them checked. Pretty simple procedure.

Unbolt the two bolts that hold the fairing stay bracket to the frame and disconnect the wire connectors of the main harness. SHould be only two of them.

Remove the side view mirrors and remove the six screws holding the upper cowl and side fairings together.

Remove the whole upper cowl/headlight assembly as a whole piece.

Remove the caliper bolts and support the calipers somehow.

Youll have easy access to the 10/12mm bolts that you loosen to allow the fork to slide out of the triple tree.

Then get the forks checked. I think the limit is .004 out of round? Maybe even more?

You'll also want to check the triple tree to make sure it hasn't tweaked.
Yeah I suppose its definitely worth it to have it checked. Thanks for the info. Should be super easy considering most of the front-end/headlights/fairings were ripped off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page