Chain slack/tight spot? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Chain slack/tight spot?

My chain has been doing this for quite some time. I don't think this is normal. I'm not sure if my sprockets are out of line or if my chain has a tight spot or something I'm just not seeing. It also makes some noise that makes me feel as though the chain is being forced in a direction it doesn't want to go like side to side. The sound wasn't captured very well by the camera.

It's very well maintained. Cleaned and lubed about every 500 miles.

Video evidence:

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 02:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The only thing I see is that I need to tighten my own chain now but sorry I can't help just bump for OP.

PM me if you have a red clip for an Arai side pod.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Knee Dragger

how many miles are on the chain? looks like its kinked up probably needs replacing same thing happened with mine

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
You can check for a tight spot with ease by hand rotating the tire in it's normal direction slowly. In the tight area in the chain will become exposed during this time.

Have you checked your alignments?

<<Click HERE>>
Check out my NEW & Upcoming Company.
Producing and designing gear that you, the rider actually want.

Click HERE
f/s 03 trackbike, sharkskins , chrome rear
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansgotacbr View Post
how many miles are on the chain? looks like its kinked up probably needs replacing same thing happened with mine
Not very many. Few thousand. It's been maintained very well. I'm thinking it's another issue unless I got a fluke of a crap chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8_Lurkin View Post
You can check for a tight spot with ease by hand rotating the tire in it's normal direction slowly. In the tight area in the chain will become exposed during this time.

Have you checked your alignments?
Where will the chain "become exposed"?

Both alignments on my rear tire are lined up with each other. Unless one moved just a fraction. How much would they have to be off from each other to cause an alignment issue?

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Knee Dragger

what do you use to clean it and lube it? sometimes certain things like wd-40 can eat the o rings on chains...although it sounds like youre smart enough to know something like this. hmm do what str8 said and rotate the tire by hand, you should be able to tell where the tight spots are, and if there is a kinked link it would be noticeable, it will be angled just slightly different then the others. have you had this problem since you put the chain on or just accruing? could be that something like your sprocket nut is loose, i would double check that. maybe when you put the master link in you tightened it too much and bent a link doing that? lots of possibilities always check the simple things like loose hardware first.

oh and i like to double check my alignment by using a pair of calipers and measuring the distance from the back of the swing arm to the back of the axle alignment block
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Trust us! If its a tight spot it's hard to miss. You will see it and hear it as you rotate the tire slowly. Looking in the bottom when rotating the tire in its normal direction you will see the trouble issue just before it enters into he front sprocket area!

And yes the slightest offset in the tire alignment can kill a chain quick. I would recommend using the chain tension indications on the both sides of the bike when aligning the bike.

You can also eye ball this bike lining the center thread of your tire with the center hugger.

Chains often come unaligned when the user goes to tighten up the axle bolt locking the tie into position. To fix this refrain from loosing the bolt so much in the first place and when doing your final inspection make sure your are constantly pulling back on the tire evening towards you. (Say you are sitting on the ground with the tire in btw your legs pull the entire rim towards you evenly!)

This and some good lub should solve your issue.

Unless of course your chain had reached the point of no return!

<<Click HERE>>
Check out my NEW & Upcoming Company.
Producing and designing gear that you, the rider actually want.

Click HERE
f/s 03 trackbike, sharkskins , chrome rear
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

I've used WD-40 to clean it a few times in the past before learning that it is bad news. It was always lubed immediately after, so I'm unsure if that would have permanently damaged it.

Here is an updated video of what is going on. I believe the thing may be trashed. I have it lined up the best I can eyeball. Tried adjusting it in either direction just slightly to see if I noted any improvement, but found none.

Quote:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Aftermarket sprockets?

Check that the locating/mounting holes on the sprockets are really in the centre of the spockets. A small difference can cause the same problem you have.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Some of them stink.

A bit of reading and you'll have a chance to filter the bullshit from the good oil
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanCo Rider View Post
I've used WD-40 to clean it a few times in the past before learning that it is bad news. It was always lubed immediately after, so I'm unsure if that would have permanently damaged it.

Here is an updated video of what is going on. I believe the thing may be trashed. I have it lined up the best I can eyeball. Tried adjusting it in either direction just slightly to see if I noted any improvement, but found none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTfwxTszYz8

what are the adjusters at? how far out are they? from the looks of it, your chain may be dust, (stretched out) how are the teeth on the sprockets? check to see how they are worn, also when turning the wheel look at the sprocket from the rear and make sure the teeth are in the middle of the chain,

but from the looks of it, the chain has stretched in places, (second vid)

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
How many miles are on the OEM chain?

03' 600rr- sold
07' 600rr-
sold
05' 636- sold
Currently searching
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

It's at the end of the adjusters pretty much. The chain is pretty much toast.

This thing lasted me roughly 8k miles which is totally pathetic.

Quote:
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHECKSHERx View Post
How many miles are on the OEM chain?

Not sure. Around 21-23k and it was still in running condition.

Quote:
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 11:21 PM
World Superbike Racer

bad chain id say. even tho u lubed it after the wd 40 when u did it, that just trapped it in the o-rings cuz im sure u use wax like most people

MachineGunMyers - Xbox gamertag
The X's #1 Fan™
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Knee Dragger

Iv heard by numerous riders not to go off the the stamped indicators. Best thing to do is get a tape measure that reads in milimeters and us the same reference point on each side of the swing arm and the axel it self. If its off even a little bit ill know right away but more than likely if ur adjusters are all the way out u need a new chain and sprockets first

Sent from my ADR6300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 01:18 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How did the rubber things look that go between the sprocket hub and rear rim when you put the chain on?( I forgot the name of the pieces) If they are ok then I'd say that your chain is toast at that mileage... I had a couple low cost chains wear out fairly quickly( less than 10,000 miles) and they made very weird noises...

I'd almost say that some of the o-rings are long gone in the part of the chain that has excess slack...

"It sounds like a Ferrari having an orgasm"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page