06 600rr stalled while driving, red oil light - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 600rr stalled while driving, red oil light

Hi guys,

I've been riding for about 3 months now and starting yesterday i noticed something odd. When in neutral and parking the bike, the engine almost felt like it wanted to die, it would sit at 1500, go to 2000 rpm, then back to 1000, and keep on doing that, a drop for 2k - 1k just doesnt feel good. Starting it back up and driving to work after i parked it (i went to lunch), it felt fine, until i was driving to the garage in 3rd gear going about 30 mph, and the bike stuttered again, this time it felt like the bike jerked forward, even though my throttle hand never moved, it did this about 3-4 times until i parked.

Started the bike today, it was about 55 degrees F, let it idle for a good minute or two, started driving to work, and about 1 mile from work i notice the bike doing a very slight stutter again, this time im in 4th gear, it stutters somewhat hard and the red light above the oil lamp comes on, i clutch in because that was my natural reaction, and i lose all power, the bike had stalled. I started it up while i was coasting and drove it to work, it felt alright, no major stuttering or jerking of throttle, i kept it below 5k rpm the whole time after that and drove slowly.

After parking i checked the oil (incorrectly), and when the bike was on the stand i dont think i saw any oil in the glass oil level housing thing, i have yet to tilt the bike upright and check, but i would assume i would see some oil while its on the stand. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

If im posting in the wrong section please let me know, i will ask a mod to move my thread, I appreciate all your help, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like you are low or have no oil.... check your bike before you ride every time
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkside View Post
Sounds like you are low or have no oil.... check your bike before you ride every time
Ok thank you, I will lean the bike upright and check the oil level again, there are two notches inside where the oil level should be at, correct? I will go and buy 3 quarts of oil just in case in the mean time. I was planning on doing an oil change soon.

I will report back with results to see if this was the issue or not.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
make sure you are looking at it correctly.... sometimes ppl mistaking add too much oil in the bike causing the window to remain a solid color. Giving the impression that the bike is low on oil when in fact it has too much!

<<Click HERE>>
Check out my NEW & Upcoming Company.
Producing and designing gear that you, the rider actually want.

Click HERE
f/s 03 trackbike, sharkskins , chrome rear
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

This was happening to me. Could be too much oil or ; ( like in my case) check your battery connectors . Mine was a loose terminal. Rule everything out

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonrrpilot View Post
Here in Philly very few ride alone (mostly small crews) but even if they are alone and get run off the road, 20 other riders are just a phone call away. it wont be long before these idiots are over run by a Squid-Squad that'll leave those Tonka cars smoldering!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Hey guys, i just checked the oil with the bike standing straight up, and its not low at all, its right at the max fill line. The battery was put in brand new 3 months ago, so its very possible that the connection is loose (brother in law put the battery in since i bought the bike off of him). I just wonder why the red dot light would appear right when the bike was stalling out, and how it started up again with no issue, if the cable was loose, would it not just not start?

I'm going to attempt to drive it home (5 miles) once i get off work in 3 hours, ill check the terminal connections then, since i have no tools on me.

Edit: This might sound weird or dumb, but this problem started to occur the day after i filled gas in the bike, and I filled the gas to the brim of the metal mesh thing, it didnt go above the level line, but it was the highest i ever filled (i typically dont fill it super high). Would this cause any issue? The bike has been driven nearly 40 miles and has gone down 1 bar of gas, maybe 2 now.

Last edited by alwaysbored786; 09-21-2012 at 02:27 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

FYI, this is how the oil looked like after i had the bike standing upright and my co worker sitting on it, the bike had 2 hours to cool down after i rode it:

This is how oil looked right after i came into work (the bike was still at operating temp), and it was leaned on the stand.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you got a vapor lock in your tank from getting fuel in it then it could cause stalling.

If you've burned that much gas then you shouldn't have any problems.

The oil light will come on when the engine is not running and the oil pump is not spinning.

I believe your surge may have been the engine dying and when you clutched in and looked down, you saw the red light. Just a hypothesis.

Pop your gas cap open and start the bike. You may have flooded your vent line and are preventing gas from flowing.

Are you able to still start the bike?

And was there any funny noise when the noises happened or did it feel like a low fuel stutter?

'06 in Silver: 29K on the clock (and counting)
PCIII w/custom tune (stock AF and shortie stacks)
320mm rotors with SBK5 pads, Galfer HH rear
Full f/r FenTubo Type 2 set black on black
Nissin Radial M/C (07+)
wrapped in Mich Power Pures (aka love)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

After filling gas to the top, i had no issues until the day afterwards (this is after i drove 7 miles on the tank). So i'm not sure if its a vapor lock issue. I've opened the gas tank when i checked the oil an hour ago, and its at a normal level, maybe half an inch from the top.

I agree with you on the surge being the engine dying, thus the light turning on (since it is on before the engine is on), its a possibility i considered, but i am unsure as to why the engine died, i was cruising in 4th and it stuttered to a lower rpm and power was cut.

I am able to start the bike without any problems, the first time i started it when checking the oil it was fine. I turned it off, then back on again, and it started to do a very slight stutter, going from 2k rpm to 1k, then stabilizing around 1.5k, it did this maybe 3-4 times, non rapidly. I have not tried to start the bike with the gas tank open, i was unsure if this is safe, thus i avoided trying (should i attempt to do this, if so, what should i be looking/hearing for?)

The only funny noise was the engine sounds (sound of revs dipping then going back up), no unusual noises though, it did feel more like a low fuel stutter.

If you look at this pic as a reference, where the big circle hole is, with the surrounding 4 smaller holes, on the cbr this looks more like triangle or lines with a circle for the gas pump to go into, i did not fill above this, however i filled right upto it. Disregard the yellow circle.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
After filling gas to the top, i had no issues until the day afterwards (this is after i drove 7 miles on the tank). So i'm not sure if its a vapor lock issue. I've opened the gas tank when i checked the oil an hour ago, and its at a normal level, maybe half an inch from the top.

I agree with you on the surge being the engine dying, thus the light turning on (since it is on before the engine is on), its a possibility i considered, but i am unsure as to why the engine died, i was cruising in 4th and it stuttered to a lower rpm and power was cut.

I am able to start the bike without any problems, the first time i started it when checking the oil it was fine. I turned it off, then back on again, and it started to do a very slight stutter, going from 2k rpm to 1k, then stabilizing around 1.5k, it did this maybe 3-4 times, non rapidly. I have not tried to start the bike with the gas tank open, i was unsure if this is safe, thus i avoided trying (should i attempt to do this, if so, what should i be looking/hearing for?)

The only funny noise was the engine sounds (sound of revs dipping then going back up), no unusual noises though, it did feel more like a low fuel stutter.

If you look at this pic as a reference, where the big circle hole is, with the surrounding 4 smaller holes, on the cbr this looks more like triangle or lines with a circle for the gas pump to go into, i did not fill above this, however i filled right upto it. Disregard the yellow circle.
You can start the engine just fine with the gas cap undone to allow for the tank to lower a little bit with no worries

Do you know what temperatures your bike was doing the bouncing at? It might just be the engine compensating for the thermostat opening.

7 miles in relativity to tank size is virtually nothing so you still may not have gone past the fill line and when riding it will slosh in the vent. so I'd say grab a turkey baster and pull out a couple measures of fuel and then ride as normally.

As a last ditch you can just let the bike idle on stands and it will go down, albeit very slowly.

If you fear there is still some fluid/contamination in the vent line just grab a can of compressed air and stuff a rag into the very top of your tank and puff some air through it. you might see fuel come out of the left side lower (where the vent comes out IIRC).

Doesn't sound like there's anything terribly wrong with your bike, just drain a little fuel out and ride cautiously for a little while!

'06 in Silver: 29K on the clock (and counting)
PCIII w/custom tune (stock AF and shortie stacks)
320mm rotors with SBK5 pads, Galfer HH rear
Full f/r FenTubo Type 2 set black on black
Nissin Radial M/C (07+)
wrapped in Mich Power Pures (aka love)
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschooldesigns For This Useful Post:
alwaysbored786 (09-21-2012)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooldesigns View Post
You can start the engine just fine with the gas cap undone to allow for the tank to lower a little bit with no worries

Do you know what temperatures your bike was doing the bouncing at? It might just be the engine compensating for the thermostat opening.

7 miles in relativity to tank size is virtually nothing so you still may not have gone past the fill line and when riding it will slosh in the vent. so I'd say grab a turkey baster and pull out a couple measures of fuel and then ride as normally.

As a last ditch you can just let the bike idle on stands and it will go down, albeit very slowly.

If you fear there is still some fluid/contamination in the vent line just grab a can of compressed air and stuff a rag into the very top of your tank and puff some air through it. you might see fuel come out of the left side lower (where the vent comes out IIRC).

Doesn't sound like there's anything terribly wrong with your bike, just drain a little fuel out and ride cautiously for a little while!
I was afraid that I did fill maybe a bit too high. However, since the fill, i've driven about 40 miles, and the fuel gauge has gone down 1 bar, maybe 2, so the gas level has definitely dropped (i visually checked as well). I do believe i may have got some fluid contamination, since when i filled the tank originally, i took a few low turns. I'm not sure what you mean by blowing out the extra fuel with air. So just open the tank, stuff a rag on top, and blow around the edges of the inner top part of the tank?

I'm definitely gonna baby the bike home, slow turns, slow speeds, and attempt to keep it under 5k RPM or even lower.

The last few times i've been riding it has been about 50-75 degrees outside, in the morning the bike runs about 175-180 degrees, and when going home from work (typically 75 - 80 outdoor weather), it can range anywhere from 180-220 (if standing still), and the problems still occurred, although rarely.

I appreciate the help! Thanks a lot!

I'll update the thread in an hour to say if i had any issues riding home, and i will try to blow out some fuel from the vent line once i figure out how to.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
FYI, this is how the oil looked like after i had the bike standing upright and my co worker sitting on it, the bike had 2 hours to cool down after i rode it:

[IMG][/IMG]

This is how oil looked right after i came into work (the bike was still at operating temp), and it was leaned on the stand.

[IMG][/IMG]
That is normal, you have to wait for all the oil to drain down into the oil pan before checking. I usually check the oil after the bike as been sitting for 5-10 min after ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoose For This Useful Post:
alwaysbored786 (09-21-2012)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoose View Post
That is normal, you have to wait for all the oil to drain down into the oil pan before checking. I usually check the oil after the bike as been sitting for 5-10 min after ride.
Thanks for confirming that, it looked normal after i checked it, i prematurely freaked out haha.

As for the update, I drove the bike home, it was a 6-7 mile commute which took about 15-20 minutes in traffic. There were no issues what so ever when driving back, everything felt 100% normal, the tank now has 41 miles on it, and 2 bars of gas have been used. Im hoping the issue is resolved and it was that i filled the gas too high last time. Ill update if the problem occurs again, or in a few days to say if the problem is gone.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page