[HELP] 05rr Lost Keys - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
[HELP] 05rr Lost Keys

So I lost my last set of keys over the weekend when visiting my girlfriend...yes I'm a dumbass.. I should of gotten replacements when I lost my first set over the summer. I called the dealer and they said they wouldnt have record of keycodes dated back to 05. I am the second owner, and I do not recall getting a tag with the codes on it. I am going to have my parents check the paperwork I received, but I dont think I got anything, and the original owner seemed to be an airhead.

After browsing here and other forums, here is what i think my options are:

1) have a local locksmith come out and cut one for $160+tax, local motor sports dealers recommended the guy

2) luckily the bike is parked near my garage, so should be able to move it in. Then attempt to remove the ignition to retrieve the codes. Service department said it might be an issue getting it off because I have the steering locked. Would anyone be willing to write a detailed break down description or link one?

3) I have a neighbor that works at a Honda plant, not sure what he does but he is pretty high up, might know someone or some way to run the VIN to retrieve the ignition codes? Anyone know if thats possible?

4) I don't know what else...open to any and all suggestions. And because of the looks of things around here and other sites, regarding users with 1 post, and posting about lost keys, NO the bike is not stolen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:11 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Search online or local wreckers and buy a new ignition and seat lock and replace the gas cap with a keyless race one. This option could be a little more expensive tho.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I would go with the first option. Get a new key cut, pay your bill, call it a day. Just chalk it up to a dumb moment and no harm done.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would think they could find the key code from the VIN, I know I've done it for my car already.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

2010 Leyla
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-treme1 View Post
I would think they could find the key code from the VIN, I know I've done it for my car already.
thats what i am thinking... i called the local harley dealer when looking for a locksmith, and they said honda should have a system similar to theirs and be able to look up via VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighzerOfLife View Post
I would go with the first option. Get a new key cut, pay your bill, call it a day. Just chalk it up to a dumb moment and no harm done.
true, but broke college kid here... plus im still paying off my speeding ticket :/ so my funds are limited

Last edited by Multitask; 09-24-2012 at 11:56 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Official Dealer

Garage
If I could run your vin and get a key cut for you that would make my job a ton easier,the only metric brand as far as I know that does that is Yamaha,and even then I need a vin and the little tag key or key code to do that,one or the other and they wont do it.

Honda will only do blanks,so if you lost both keys,I have to sell you a new lock set to cover the lock on the bike, I wish it was like the auto dealers,but that would be too simple to keep track of a key number to a vin
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda East Toledo View Post
If I could run your vin and get a key cut for you that would make my job a ton easier,the only metric brand as far as I know that does that is Yamaha,and even then I need a vin and the little tag key or key code to do that,one or the other and they wont do it.

Honda will only do blanks,so if you lost both keys,I have to sell you a new lock set to cover the lock on the bike, I wish it was like the auto dealers,but that would be too simple to keep track of a key number to a vin
yea tooooo simple. Good to see some Ohio people on here tho!

Im hoping Honda would keep track of this data, and possibly have an internal database that my neighbor might be able to access and run the VIN...can only hope
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Official Dealer

Garage
From what the ladies at the Honda dealer support have told me,they say that there is no way to pull that up,maybe your friend has access to something else,cause I just called them to see if there was anything that has changed and they said no go.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Knee Dragger

I had the same problem not to long ago. After calling a couple honda shops within the area and being told they couldn't look it up. I called a few locksmiths to get the best price and for $100 bucks a guy came out and used a tool that looked like a otoscope to look into the key hole and cut me several keys and gave me a code just in-case i lose them again. then a month later i found the keys. a locksmith is a quick and easy solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page