My 07 600rr sounds like a Jetson's Mobile...WHY!!?? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
My 07 600rr sounds like a Jetson's Mobile...WHY!!??

I have been searching for weeks now for a cure/solution to my bikes noise problem. It has a whine or flutter sound like a wind up toy, supercharger whine, or Jetson's hovercraft.

I have been told it could be a gasket and thats the only thing to me that would make sense. The noise is coming from the front of the motor.

The previous owner had an aftermarket exhaust on it, considering that Ive had to replace numerous bolts all over the place it wouldnt suprise me that he left out a gasket or something else important when reinstalling the stock exhaust.

Please help, the whine is louder than the sound of my exhaust and its pretty embarrassing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:41 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Can you take a sound clip? Sounds like it might be an exhaust leak.

'03 600RR red/black #728.
Armour Bodies race bodywork
Leo Vince CF slip on
520 conv. D.I.D VX2- Drive Systems superlite 15/45
Bridgestone S20's
Vortex rearsets
Vortex clip ons
ASV gold shorties
GPR damper
Ohlins 46PRXLS triple clicker
K Tech .95 fork springs
Maxima 15wt fork oil
Woodcraft sliders
Tech Spec tank pads
Galfer SS lines
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have to say great analogy lol

Check em out! P1/SCRC

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Yeah ill get one posted tomorrow, although I don't think you'll be able to hear much at an idle, its around the 4k + range where it sounds bad.

And thanks lol its the best way I could word it.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
That's the range that a bad CCT will start to sound. I have a feeling that is going to be your "wind-up" toy noise.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoose View Post
That's the range that a bad CCT will start to sound. I have a feeling that is going to be your "wind-up" toy noise.
I have also been told this too.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Alright so I found this pic off google images..can someone explain to me what's what.

If it is an exhaust problem it sounds like its coming from the headers, Is the CCT also located around that area?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
The CCT is not in the same area as the headers it's on the right side of the bike by the clutch case cover and it stands for Cam Chain Tensioner according to your statement of where the noise is coming from its probably an exhaust leak which you can feel by hand.As the air is coming off from
between the pipes .just wear gloves during the test and you should be able to feel it right away even without the bike being warmed up

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Last edited by Moeman; 09-30-2012 at 12:57 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
The CCT is not in the same area as the headers it's on the right side of the bike by the clutch case cover and it stands for Cam Chain Tensioner according to your statement of where the noise is coming from its probably an exhaust leak which you can feel by hand.As the air is coming off from
between the pipes .just wear gloves during the test and you should be able to feel it right away even without the bike being warmed up
Heyy Thanks Moe for getting involved. I had a professional mechanic and semi family friend take a look at it while he was here (By semi-family friend I mean he's my cousin-wifes-friends-husband lol) he charges $70/hr so his work isnt exactly cheap. He checked the headers where they attach to the motor and didnt feel any leaks. We didnt take any fairings off so we couldnt cheack any other connections such as the gasket. So I'm hoping the problem will be fixed there.

Another helpful detail I can add is the noise is very noticeable when i'm in a high gear at low speeds. When I am at a decent speed (45mph-ish) and let off the throttle and pull the clutch, the noise slowly fades like somethings slowly slowing down...I guess much like a jet on a plane would when the captain turns off the engine..starts loud then the whine slowly fades as the fasten seatbelt sign beeps as it turns off lol.

We may have a combination of problems here, It could be the CCT and an exhaust leak somewhere which is making this such a difficult diagnosis.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by '03 Double_R View Post
Can you take a sound clip? Sounds like it might be an exhaust leak.
took it to the dealer today and as I expected they say nothings wrong and i'm out $75 bux..

There is something not right and when I figure it out im going straight back to them and having them fix it with no charge in labor.. I mean really..how can you take a prat a 6 year old bike thats been in more than one accident (all minor but still...) and say theres not a single thing mechanically wrong with it? Do I have the Golden bike touched by God himself? Highly improbable lol.

After my lowside the bike came down on the left side..hard enough to tweak the forks but not bend them. Ever since then I get the whine coming from the motor area. The bike is running great, doesnt bog down and still pulls hard. The only thing noticable is a slight decrease in power, then again I'm comparing my power to my friends semi-new 2011 600rr.

We both have stock everything (performance-wise) yet his is faster than mine and his exhaust is noticably deeper than mine.. I just hit 10k miles today but ever since ive had it I have been maintaining it properly to the T. Could age really decrease horsepower?

Anyways, getting off topic. If anyone has any clue what it may be then please help me out. Thanks

PS its not the CCT either according to the mechanic
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4 is where the bolts go in, it's what holds your headers on.
2 is the rubber grommet that holds a bolt that goes under the bike.
3 is your servo valve, the cables go up under the seat and are connected to a motor. At lower RPM's the servo valve closes and gives more torque. In higher rpm's it opens to allow more airflow.
1 see above
5 looks like the washer on number 2, and there's another one that comes in from the back side.

There are gaskets listed on the OEM diagram... part # 18291-MN4-920
I would pull the headers and see if the gaskets are all there. Couldn't hurt, but make sure you get the torque right putting them back on.

Marchesini Al, Leo Vince 8493, BMC, Z-Fi, Gilles vcr38gt, Samco, MPro Revolver, Ballistik 8cell, Amsoil, SuperSprox, RK GXW 520, ASV C5, Fren Tubo, Akra tank panels, TST IT, Proton, Gcraft res, PSR plates, Renthal grips, OEM Seat Cowl & CF stickers, Woodcraft Sliders/Spools/Clip-ons/Axle Sliders, Ariete Stems
The Following User Says Thank You to EvilMrB For This Useful Post:
SlowREV69 (10-02-2012)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMrB View Post
4 is where the bolts go in, it's what holds your headers on.
2 is the rubber grommet that holds a bolt that goes under the bike.
3 is your servo valve, the cables go up under the seat and are connected to a motor. At lower RPM's the servo valve closes and gives more torque. In higher rpm's it opens to allow more airflow.
1 see above
5 looks like the washer on number 2, and there's another one that comes in from the back side.

There are gaskets listed on the OEM diagram... part # 18291-MN4-920
I would pull the headers and see if the gaskets are all there. Couldn't hurt, but make sure you get the torque right putting them back on.

Thanks, youve been a lot of help. Is it possible that the motor could cause the noise or very unlikely? Afterall, it DOES work off a pulley system.

I will for sure check my gaskets anyway despite the rip-off mechanic. Just 2 questions then:

1.) How can I tell if a gasket is damaged?
2.) How do I know how much to torque them?

thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page