Bike Won't Start!!! HELP!! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bike Won't Start!!! HELP!!

Ok so I have a 2006 Honda CBR600RR with almost 16,000. I just did the oil change and changed the fairing and did a basic tune-up. The other night after work I started my bike and after a few seconds it shut off. At the same time the bike turned off, the gauge cluster LIGHT, headlight, and taillight turned off simultaneously. The actual gauge is on (i.e. speed, rpm, gas,...), but just not the light. When I go to start the bike it just keeps wanting to start but won't turn on (as if there is no gas left). A strong smell of gas comes out of the exhaust when I try to turn it on. I thought at first it could be the fuel pump or the spark plug but I think it has to be electrical seeing how the lights went out all together. I checked all the fuses as well and they were all fine. I took off the front nose fairing to check the bank angle sensor and the connections and everything looks fine and connected. The bike hasn't been dropped, but I'm assuming when I changed the fairings something came loose or messed up. I'm also pretty sure it's not the kick-stand sensor because the 'buzzing' noise of the fuel pump doesn't go on. So after all that, I've given up!! Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Pretty sure your battery is dead, when's the last time you changed it, or the previous owner changed it? Could still be the original in there, it's an 06.

The battery probably has enough to turn on the gauges, but not enough to start it. Charge your battery, or replace it. Or try jump starting the bike by rolling it if you know how to.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-nyc View Post
Pretty sure your battery is dead, when's the last time you changed it, or the previous owner changed it? Could still be the original in there, it's an 06.

The battery probably has enough to turn on the gauges, but not enough to start it. Charge your battery, or replace it. Or try jump starting the bike by rolling it if you know how to.

I've never changed it and I've had it since over a year ago. Its never given me trouble unless i left my lights on. I thought about that but when my battery has died before in the past it wouldn't even turn over. I'll try and see, thanks.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

As I thought, it wasn't the battery.. ughh
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

is the fi priming? i had a similar problem with my bike. when i had taken my fairings off i yanked some cables around and it caused havoc. mostly b/c former owner had done a terrible job with the electrics when installing the pc3. any aftermarket stuff? grounds/all connectors ok? if it was working fine before it shouldnt be too crazy to resolve.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Double check fuses

Post pictures of your connections

Take a video of your problem, videos tell a million words

Matte Black & Gold 03 600RR
  • Two Brothers Slip-On
  • VOLT HID Headlights 5000K
  • HID Low Beam Kill Switch
  • Integrated Taillight
  • Flushmount Signals
  • OES Frame Sliders
  • Gold Shorty Levers
  • Gold Reflective Time Attack
  • Solo Cowl
  • Dark Smoke Windscreen
My ReBuild Thread
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg001 View Post
is the fi priming? i had a similar problem with my bike. when i had taken my fairings off i yanked some cables around and it caused havoc. mostly b/c former owner had done a terrible job with the electrics when installing the pc3. any aftermarket stuff? grounds/all connectors ok? if it was working fine before it shouldnt be too crazy to resolve.
I'm not sure if it is or not. I have to check and see if it's throwing any codes. Oh ok. Not really just the basics, Two-Brothers Exhaust and integrated taillight/turn signals, etc. Ya it's been running perfect with no problems at all, so i'm sure its something loose or a bad connection somewhere that I didn't see.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Sandhu View Post
Double check fuses

Post pictures of your connections

Take a video of your problem, videos tell a million words
I checked my fuses by looking at them and then did a voltage check to see if they were all actually working and they were. I'll try to take a video tomorrow but it's just as I described it. Just imagine your bike trying to turn on without gas and also without the fuel pump buzzing noise on start up.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 AM
Premium Member

Garage
If you changed the front fairing you probable left the tilt sensor disconected or installed the other wy around... Check it, its a little black box localet in between the headlight, it has a little arrow printed on it and this arrow should be pointing upwards!

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soponcio Virtual View Post
If you changed the front fairing you probable left the tilt sensor disconected or installed the other wy around... Check it, its a little black box localet in between the headlight, it has a little arrow printed on it and this arrow should be pointing upwards!
Ya that was the first thing I checked and it was on there right with the arrow pointing up. Thanks anyways.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Is the fuel pump priming? Do you have spark? If you have fuel pressure and spark you may have an electrical problem. As much as I love Honda, they use really cheap wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

- Christopher, 2007 Blue/Silver CBR600RR - Stock
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

if fuel pump isnt priming than it might be battery doesnt have enough juice(charge and check w/voltmeter). or a relay might have gone on you (swap relays to test). or fuse is shot (remove/inspect). as said before cheap wiring is big problem with honda. oh, also check wires to your fans (check all harnesses too by unplugging completely and plugging back in with that satisfying snap). also make sure starter switch is on.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg001 View Post
also make sure starter switch is on.
I have to admit I've been there. I was cranking my bike and was like 'oh no we have a problem'. I'm a mechanic so everything that could cause a no start is going through my head. And then a light bulb in my head went off and I realized, kill switch is on -_-

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I've checked all the fuses with a voltammeter and they were all good along with the ones under the seat by the positive terminal. I checked all the harness and they all seemed to be fine. I hooked up the battery to a power source and tried starting the bike after a little and it still didn't work. I'm thinking my BAS might be bad. I'll find out tomorrow when I have more time to work on it, thanks.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Still no luck. Any more ideas that I haven't tried?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Pocketbike Racer

So are you missing fuel pressure or spark? All the BAS does is stop the fuel pump from priming or ever turning on.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
infinate719

I would bypass the kickstand sensor and the BAS just to eliminate both of them. The last time my 03 had a starting issue it was the kick stand sensor. I know you mentioned it but I would swap the fuel cut off relay with another relay just in case. Are you hearing a clicking sound from the relays? I can't remember if only one or two should be making the sound. Anyways, get access to the fuel pump and check the voltage at the harness connector. I would avoid buying any parts until you have narrowed it down because it may be simply wiring.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Infinate is on the right track, you want to eliminate the kickstand and BAS sensor,

also hold off on buying parts until you find the problem,

here is a thing to check, this just happened to me and had me stranded, lights just cut out

so right behind your battery is a relay that both the battery terminals lead into,

there are 2 thick wires one for the ground one for the positive on your battery, you need to check the wires coming out of the relay,

here is what happens,

the wires that are thick, are bent so they can fit in that tiny box behind the battery, then they snake out of the battery tray to your harness, the bend out of the battery tray is almost 90 degress,

a thick wire bent at 90 degrees, then subjected to a ton of vibration will start to break and the connections inside will break,

this was my problem, which I suggest to check,

what you have to do it remove the wires from the relay and check how they bend if one is limp its most likely broken inside of heat shrink peel it back and you will see only a few of the connectors intact,

other than that it looks like you've tried everything else,

a few questions,

how did you check the battery and rule it out? Load testing?

Do you have any spare batteries or relays you can try?

when you crank it, what is the gauge doing?

so just to confirm,

you have cluster action, RPM needle cycling,
starter is cranking
headlights are on
tail light is on
fuel pump NO PRIME
kill switch is put on run?

im subscribed so hopefully we can figure it out,

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttps://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
The Following User Says Thank You to SuuScbr For This Useful Post:
Peligromajor (06-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in