my bike wont start, please please help!! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my bike wont start, please please help!!

hi i have a 2003 honda cbr 600rr w/ 43k, everything ran smooth and fine, no probs, always started right up... last week a girl i was dating accidentally broke my key off in the gas tank while we were at the gas station in the middle of the night, i fished out the half of the key and had to put both pieces in the ignition to get home, when i did the bike started right up and was fine... after we got home, the next day i couldn't turn on the bike and had to hire a locksmith to extract the bottom half of the key and make me a new one. after 30 min of trying and yanking and banging around the ignition and spraying something in it he finally got the key out, but the keys he made didn't turn the ignition they only would work in the gas and trunk. i took the original key to 2 other locksmiths and had keys made and none of them worked. last night i dipped one of the keys in gasoline and put it in the ignition repeatedly and i finally got it to turn on, the key barely works but i thought i could at least drive it to the shop to have them work on it now, but today the bike wouldn't start. the last time it was running was when i brought it home the night my key broke. It took me over 30 min of try to finally get the key to turn the ignition on, and i hear the fuel pump prime, the lights turn on everything seems fine but the starter just cranks, and it sounds like it is trying to start at first, i've tried giving it gas, nothing. when i try to push start it too it sounds like it is trying but very weak and as soon as i pull the clutch there is nothing, i feel like the pistons may be turning but there is no combustion or spark. what should i do????? did the locksmith maybe do something to my bike on accident? he was the only person to touch it, is there something he could have unplugged?? he was also spraying lots of some kind of liquid into the ignition and he was being very rough trying to get the key out, i think he may have damaged the lock and that's why non of the keys would work... please please please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by willlusk View Post
hi i have a 2003 honda cbr 600rr w/ 43k, everything ran smooth and fine, no probs, always started right up... last week a girl i was dating accidentally broke my key off in the gas tank while we were at the gas station in the middle of the night, i fished out the half of the key and had to put both pieces in the ignition to get home, when i did the bike started right up and was fine... after we got home, the next day i couldn't turn on the bike and had to hire a locksmith to extract the bottom half of the key and make me a new one. after 30 min of trying and yanking and banging around the ignition and spraying something in it he finally got the key out, but the keys he made didn't turn the ignition they only would work in the gas and trunk. i took the original key to 2 other locksmiths and had keys made and none of them worked. last night i dipped one of the keys in gasoline and put it in the ignition repeatedly and i finally got it to turn on, the key barely works but i thought i could at least drive it to the shop to have them work on it now, but today the bike wouldn't start. the last time it was running was when i brought it home the night my key broke. It took me over 30 min of try to finally get the key to turn the ignition on, and i hear the fuel pump prime, the lights turn on everything seems fine but the starter just cranks, and it sounds like it is trying to start at first, i've tried giving it gas, nothing. when i try to push start it too it sounds like it is trying but very weak and as soon as i pull the clutch there is nothing, i feel like the pistons may be turning but there is no combustion or spark. what should i do????? did the locksmith maybe do something to my bike on accident? he was the only person to touch it, is there something he could have unplugged?? he was also spraying lots of some kind of liquid into the ignition and he was being very rough trying to get the key out, i think he may have damaged the lock and that's why non of the keys would work... please please please help!!!
first of all...why did you dip your key in gas? what exactly did that help? im curious about that part... but anyways check your fuses and your relayes for fuel and ignition.. sounds to me like you probly need to replace the ignition set though.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Yeah even if the ignition isn't the problem, it deserves to be replaced after what it was put through haha. You can get an ignition, key and lock cylinders in matching sets on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

- Christopher, 2007 Blue/Silver CBR600RR - Stock

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was a locksmith for 2yrs. It sounds like he did do some damage to your cylinder. I say that because of the other keys not working. He might have damaged a wafer or two while trying to extract the key (sounds like a crappy locksmith). Extractions aren't by any means easy, but it requires patience and in most cases time (especially when it is the lower half all the way down). If he got impatient and sloppy (or was from the beginning), then it is very possible that he ^%@#ed your cylinder... I NEVER left a customer with a key that only worked in one cylinder and not the other, which tells me that he probably was indeed a POS locksmith. Sorry for your bad experience, they are out there :(

As far as the bike not starting: it actually sounds like you have a weak battery? lol Your key has no security chip, and your ignition (unlike most cars today) probably only has 1 job when turned to ON: allow electricity to flow. I believe the ECU does the rest. The very fact that your fuel system is priming tells me that your bike not starting doesn't have anything to do with the ignition. (however, my automotive knowledge far outreaches my moto knowledge, so this may be incorrect. Ignition ON having 1 job is pure logical guessing)

Gasoline is an excellent solvent. Probably worked great to clean out any gunk that was in your cylinder. HOWEVER, lol, it is a HORRIBLE lubricant, and cylinder wafers need lubrication.

I must add that because I am not and wasn't there, cannot see/inspect/feel your ignition, this is ALL educated speculation. So don't go calling the locksmith yelling and screaming that nurdie on 600rr.net said he broke your bike lol. If your key was badly deformed and bent from your ex-GF breaking it, and you forced the ignition over with the two halfs to get home, THAT could have damaged it too, no telling without proper inspection.

My advice: do not continue using your current ignition cylinder unless you have GOOD locksmith rebuild it lol. It may work today, but IF there is indeed damage done, it WILL leave you stranded at the most inopportune time; I promise :)
OPTIONS:
1. You can get ignition/gas cap cylinder sets on ebay on the cheap (though I cannot attest to their quality)
2. Find a used OEM ignition cylinder w/key, have a dealership or a GOOD locksmith REKEY your gas cap cylinder (and backseat latch cylinder if desired, I would)

Hope this helps! Good luck. Start simple: check your battery :)

Edit: I want to add that: Cutting new motorcycle keys, in my experience, and in most cases, required some custom finicking with. Hardly any of my cuts ever came out exact. There was always something wrong (such as key length, positions of the cuts, key shoulder length problems). Those other 2 locksmiths may have cut what seemed to be perfect copies (to the naked eye). Sometimes it is something so small and stupid that makes the whole key worthless. With that said, I still say your cheapest route would probably be replacing the cylinder (IF you can do it yourself. IF NOT, then have a better locksmith come out, or figure out a way to get your current cylinder to a locksmith shop or a dealership)

The avatar is my other ride.

Last edited by nurdie; 10-23-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page