Chinese Ignition replacement worth it or get oem? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chinese Ignition replacement worth it or get oem?

I bought an 06 cbr 600rr and the fi light wouldent turn off and I found out that the ignition that is in there now is a kawasaki ignition and not a honda. I can't lock my handlebars and its causing the MIL light to be on.

On ebay I see an ignition with key and they are from china. They also have a complete set too for sale. I was wondering which way I should go and is more reliable.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
As for the quality of Chinese parts, well.........they're chinese parts

OEM will always be more reliable IMO.
The problem I have with chinese parts, is not of quality per say, but of quality control. There's no guarantee that the part you order is going to be up to OEM standards (and in my experience, most of the time they aren't).

With that said. It should work lol. For how long is the question, I think. So if the bang for your buck is worth it RIGHT NOW, I say go for it, just be prepared for another one down the road...

The avatar is my other ride.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've been wondering the same and am interested to hear feedback. Planning on going used OEM but am curious on actual experience.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

This is a no brainer. If you like fixing this issue again in the future then get the Chinese parts. That is not to say if it's going to cause other issue with your bike; especially, when dealing with electrical parts.

What's the price difference?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Well I heard the honda ones fail too since they have the electrical wires that go to the gauges

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Knee Dragger

I was a locksmith for 2 years and I don't know how to remove a honda moto ignition...because I never had to :)

The avatar is my other ride.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Well I'm sure u have heard about the pink wire issue

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamzboy View Post
This is a no brainer. If you like fixing this issue again in the future then get the Chinese parts.
You mean like all Apple products, most awesome TV's, some of the parts that you call OEM????

Yeah, branding them as bad because they're made in China is short sighted at best. A lot of very reliable items we use everyday are from China, that is NOT an indicator that something won't work as well or better.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

All apple products are made by foxcon in china

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamzboy View Post
This is a no brainer. If you like fixing this issue again in the future then get the Chinese parts.
^this

Or if you like being stranded in the middle of nowhere, get the Chinese parts.

Or if you like supporting a country with horrible human and animal rights, get the Chinese parts.

The choice is yours.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhead View Post
Or if you like being stranded in the middle of nowhere, get the Chinese parts.
What kind of phone/computer/TV do you have?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
The 'merica kind:p
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Why, so you can tell me that my Dell computer or my Sharp TV may have resisters or solder made in China?

Having some minor components made in China inside a quality product made and proudly assembled in a real country like USA or Japan, is quite different from buying a whole product made in China. They have no pride or skill and their main concern is to ripoff and screw the rest of the planet. When you see a product made in US, Japan, Canada, Italy, England, etc etc, it is stamped in clear letters in conspicuous places, Made in USA, Made in Japan, Made in Canada, etc. When a product is made in China, you will need a microscope to see the tiny "made in china" on it. They will put it in the least conspicuous places as well. Ever seen a "Made in PRC" before? Yep that stands for People's Republic of China. They are hoping that nobody will figure out what PRC stands for. Another trend now is Chinese companies naming their companies with names that sound Japanese or Anglo to fool the consumers as well. Or they will just use initials in their company names in yet another attempt to fool the rest of the planet.
I feel bad for the companies from South Korea. Their product is light years ahead of the POS from China but unfortunately for them, since their names look similar to Chinese, some Westerners mistakenly think Samsung and Hyosung are Chinese as well.

Chinese product are POSs. This is an irrefutable fact proven over and over again. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise. Not only are they world class POSs, in most cases they are shameless ripoffs of other country's product. On top of that on many occasions, they have provent to be toxic and even carcinogens.

Let's pretend for a moment that their stuff were not POSs but of marginal quality, why would you even then want to support a country that has such horrific human and animal right issues, destroys our planet, exploits countries in Africa among others, and spies and steals all of our information? Why???

The OP asked a legitimate question, we answered.

To steal a line from an old Harley Davidson joke, if the Chinese made planes, would you fly in it?

Caveat emptor...

Last edited by Oilhead; 10-28-2012 at 02:51 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Does anyone know if the lock sets on the diagram that dealers sell is everything I need? Including the wiring?

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Why, so you can tell me that my Dell computer or my Sharp TV may have resisters or solder made in China?

Having some minor components made in China inside a quality product made and proudly assembled in a real country like USA or Japan, is quite different from buying a whole product made in China. They have no pride or skill and their main concern is to ripoff and screw their own people and the rest of the planet. When you see a product made in US, Japan, Canada, Italy, England, etc etc, it is stamped in clear letters in conspicuous places, Made in USA, Made in Japan, Made in Canada, etc. When a product is made in China, you will need a microscope to see the tiny "made in china" on it. They will put it in the lease conspicuous places as well. Ever seen a Made in PRC before? Yep that stands for People's Republic of China. They are hoping that nobody will figure out what PRC stands for. Another trend now is Chinese companies name their companies with names that sound Japanese or Anglo to fool the consumers as well. Or they will just use initials in their company names in yet another attempt to fool the rest of the planet.
I feel bad for the companies from South Korea. Their product is light years ahead of the POS from China but unfortunately for them, since their names look similar to Chinese, some Westerners mistakenly think Samsung and Hyosung are Chinese as well.
Not many things are made in the US or Japan, they are completely made in China...like your phone.

Sorry, I'm right and you appear to be biased with no valid foundation.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Not many things are made in the US or Japan, they are completely made in China...like your phone.
So you are now clairvoyant as well? So you know what kind of phone people have without them telling you?

Quote:
Sorry, I'm right and you appear to be biased with no valid foundation.
Bias is a subjective term, so I can concede that I am just as biased as you are.

As for the "no valid foundation", do please tell me which point that I made is not factual.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Uhhh china sells 97% of the market of rare earth minerals. From silicon, lithium, magnets, and a ton more. They own the market, that's why everything is made in china. If china stopped selling us rare earth minerals, materials and items they make, the technology age would come to an imeditate stop within a year. No more computers, phones, or improvements to our technology.

We are currently working on making our own supply in californa to cut their supply we need from them in half, but it won't be ready for another year.

If we ever did stop buying from china or they stopped, the us economy would crash worse than it is now, litterally no more jobs in manufacturing and bussiness

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalPhenomenon View Post
Does anyone know if the lock sets on the diagram that dealers sell is everything I need? Including the wiring?

Would really like to know

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
You mean like all Apple products, most awesome TV's, some of the parts that you call OEM????

Yeah, branding them as bad because they're made in China is short sighted at best. A lot of very reliable items we use everyday are from China, that is NOT an indicator that something won't work as well or better.
Depends on how much you want to spend. The only thing I would buy Chinese parts are USB cables. I wouldn't put any Chinese components on my bike. Take the OEM fairing and the Chinese fairing for comparison, or HIDs, and the list goes on and on. There's only a tolerable amount of Chinese parts that I would buy but definitely not the ignition part.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 03:46 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Let's pretend for a moment that their stuff were not POSs but of marginal quality, why would you even then want to support a country that has such horrific human and animal right issues, destroys our planet, exploits countries in Africa among others, and spies and steals all of our information? Why???
don't all countries do these things? I'm pretty sure the US (& the UK, in the interest of fairness) have exploited countries, spied & stolen both in the past & present. there's no such thing as fairness & equality in this world. china may have poor human rights, they may exploit countries but at the end of it all, they produce cheap parts which is why other countries use them, it keeps profits high & cost to produce low. so in fact the rest of the world are exploiting china as much as they exploit others.

don't take this view personally oilhead, it's just my opinion on the matter. as for buying a chinese ignition, I'd rather buy such things from honda themselves just so I have some kind of fall back incase the part doesn't work
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalPhenomenon View Post

Which parts are you missing?

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...R___TOP_BRIDGE
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Moto GP Racer

I would have to agreed with Oilhead. He stated his facts instead of saying "Oh your phone is made in China." Anyhow, Chinese do make motorcycles, why is it that you're buying a Japanese bike and paid more if 50% of the parts are made from China? Yes, China do provide us with minerals, but we MAKE the main components in house. If there's anything that the Chinese are good at, it is at copying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page