Fuel pump not priming.. Please help! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pump not priming.. Please help!

Hey guys i have a 2008 CBR 600RR and I ran into a problem with the fuel pump not priming when i turn the key.

Here's the story,
last summmer a buddy and i were riding and we went to the gym and the bike was running fine! no problems! when we came out of the gym i inserted my key and turned it to the on position and didn't hear the normal sound of the fuel pump priming. I reached over and went to start it and it just cranked but didn't turn over. I popped the seat off disconnected the battery and and checked some fuses and everything seemed fine. I connected the battery, put the seat back on and turned the key and it started like there was never a problem, continued to ride the bike for weeks and never ran into a problem then all the sudden it did it again and i disconnected the battery and waited and put it back together and turned the key and still no fuel pump noise and continued to try turning the key on and off and eventually it worked.
Come fall time no fuel pump noise and bike won't start
i checked all the fuses under the seat, switched some relays around under the seat, disconnected and reconnected the tip sensor, tried bypassing the tip sensor, and i just can't seem to figure it out. I've seen some people have had some problems with their bike not making the fuel pump noise. it makes it tough that it would do it here and there but now its not priming at all.
Its very frustrating. please help[/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 AM
VP of Metal Operations

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I still suggest removing and getting the contacts clean in the kill switch its like a 10 min job. Especially if you use your killswitch. Mine is just there for emergency for this reason. 8/10 times this will fix fuel pump issue. If that doesnt work Then we can give input on testing your fuel pump etc. Mine wouldnt prime twovsummers ago but it turned out mine was from field mice getting to my wiring harness but thats a bitch.

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM
VP of Metal Operations

And yes the fuel pump wont prime with killswitch off.

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM
VP of Metal Operations

Originally Posted by Demented All you need is a small philips screwdriver and a pocket flathead, or anything flat like a razor blade, etc.

1)Turn your bars to full left lock. Makes it easier to remove the kill switch screws.

2) Pop the kill switch off the bars. You're after the switch assembly inside the housing . There's 4 small tabs that you can see through the side of the housing, 2 on each side. Push the tabs in and pry the switch out from the housing with the flathead.

3)With the switch out, pop the two pieces apart. There will be two tabs, one on each side. Here's one side popped off.

4) That will expose the contact points. You can see a little bit of pitting on my copper contacts and some grime on the silver ones. Clean off the contacts, and if needed, polish up the copper contacts with some fine grit sandpaper to get rid of excessive pitting.

(Pencil Eraser works well also)

5) Put together in reverse order.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
When you first turn the key does the tachometer needle sweep across the face and come back?

The kill switch is a very common problem. I had to replace mine once.
I've also stopped using it.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Thank you for purchasing a 600rr as your first bike.
The odds are strong that you will successfully add to our classified section and help lower parts prices

Crash Stats: Length of ownership
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=313730
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkslingerxx View Post
Originally Posted by Demented All you need is a small philips screwdriver and a pocket flathead, or anything flat like a razor blade, etc.

1)Turn your bars to full left lock. Makes it easier to remove the kill switch screws.

2) Pop the kill switch off the bars. You're after the switch assembly inside the housing . There's 4 small tabs that you can see through the side of the housing, 2 on each side. Push the tabs in and pry the switch out from the housing with the flathead.

3)With the switch out, pop the two pieces apart. There will be two tabs, one on each side. Here's one side popped off.

4) That will expose the contact points. You can see a little bit of pitting on my copper contacts and some grime on the silver ones. Clean off the contacts, and if needed, polish up the copper contacts with some fine grit sandpaper to get rid of excessive pitting.

(Pencil Eraser works well also)

5) Put together in reverse order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater S View Post
When you first turn the key does the tachometer needle sweep across the face and come back?

The kill switch is a very common problem. I had to replace mine once.
I've also stopped using it.
thanks guys ill look into the kill switch.. also, is there a kill switch relay i could maybe check?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM
VP of Metal Operations

Update??????

-Friedrich Nietzsche

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkslingerxx View Post
Update??????
nothing new man, haven't bothered with it in a while. the other night i took the fuel tank off and tested the fuel pump and it worked so i know its not the pump. So its something that is preventing the fuel pump from kicking on. i just ordered a new kill switch and that will be in next week. any suggestions in the meantime?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

You probably could've just cleaned the contacts on the switch. Mine was going the same thing, I cleaned the contacts off and I haven't had an issue since.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Provehito In Altum

My Build Thread
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

do you have HISS?? if yes, then the RFID tag in the key is likely compromised...

try spare key if it works then get new spare using your current spare..if you dont have a spare your pretty much f***ed, unless its electrical related of course.

no HISS, cant really help much more than what others have said

any updates?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Knee Dragger

I had this problem. Thought my batterey was dead. Charged it. Thought something was unplugged. Checked. Flicked the kill switch a couple times and what do you know. It primed. Something must be loose in my killswitch.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlev09 View Post
Hey guys i have a 2008 CBR 600RR and I ran into a problem with the fuel pump not priming when i turn the key.

Here's the story,
last summmer a buddy and i were riding and we went to the gym and the bike was running fine! no problems! when we came out of the gym i inserted my key and turned it to the on position and didn't hear the normal sound of the fuel pump priming. I reached over and went to start it and it just cranked but didn't turn over. I popped the seat off disconnected the battery and and checked some fuses and everything seemed fine. I connected the battery, put the seat back on and turned the key and it started like there was never a problem, continued to ride the bike for weeks and never ran into a problem then all the sudden it did it again and i disconnected the battery and waited and put it back together and turned the key and still no fuel pump noise and continued to try turning the key on and off and eventually it worked.
Come fall time no fuel pump noise and bike won't start
i checked all the fuses under the seat, switched some relays around under the seat, disconnected and reconnected the tip sensor, tried bypassing the tip sensor, and i just can't seem to figure it out. I've seen some people have had some problems with their bike not making the fuel pump noise. it makes it tough that it would do it here and there but now its not priming at all.
Its very frustrating. please help[/B]
It might not be a bad idea to take a look at your ECM and make sure all of the wires are plugged it and none are just dangling. You will have some empty holes on your ECM but you shoudn't have any wires next to the ECM that aren't plugged into it. Make sure you have checked all of the fuses, including the two near the battery. If they are fine, I would take your fairing off and get access to your relays. Put the bike in neutral. You should be able to toggle your killswitch and hear your engine cutoff relay clicking. If this relay is not clicking then you probably have a problem with your killswitch or the wiring of your killswitch (assuming you have correctly bypassed the bank angle sensor). You said that you were able to get the fuel pump running, I'm guessing you applied voltage to the fuel pump connection under the tank. You should also be able to apply voltage at the fuel cut off relay and turn the fuel pump on. I can't find a wiring diagram so I can't tell you which color wires to connect but if you place a small jumper wire between the "output" wires of the relay (wires that are connected when the relay turns on), therefore bypassing the relay, it should start the fuel pump. Be careful not to jump the wrong set of wires as this could fry your ECM. If you can link me a wiring diagram I can tell you which wires to connect. If you are able to start the fuel pump from the connection under the tank, but not from the fuel pump relay, it could mean a couple of things. You could have a broken wire from the relay to the fuel pump connector or you could have a broken wire as one of your inputs to this relay (it would be the other "output" wire that comes from the engine stop relay).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page