Starting Issue - Now seems to be running hot - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Issue - Now seems to be running hot

I have an '05 CBR 600RR, bought it used with 1700 miles on it, I have had it for a few weeks now. I did something to the bike, and it seems as though I screwed something up. Please help ?!

Last night I installed the CA Integrator kit, tested everything and buttoned it up, started the bike, tested blinkers, brakes, etc. Everything was fine.

A different thing that had been bothering me about the bike was that whoever had the bike before me installed the Yosh RS-5 pipe a little crooked. So, in an attempt to straighten it, I loosened the bolt and nut that holds the bracket in place for the pipe(the one right under the center of the back seat) and manipulated the pipe a little, then re-tightened it back up. It wasn't perfect, but it looked a little better than before. Later in the day I fired the bike up to go for a ride and it was idling a little rough, like 800 instead of around 12-1500. So I gave it a little gas and it sputtered out and stalled. Then the bike would not start. I was like, great, I hope your happy that your pipe is a little more straight you dumb ass, cause now you have screwed somethingt up! Anyway, I waited a little while, about 10-15 minutes or so and tried to start it again. Same thing, it would try to start but not turn all the way over. So after trying a couple of times, I tried giving it some gas while turning it over and it fired up. I reved it a few times and shut it off, then started it again and it started normally. So I took it on a 5 minute ride or so. It seemed different, like maybe there is an exhaust leak or something. Not quite as much power on the throttle and sounded a little weak compared to what I was used to. Now I just took it for an actual ride and it seems to be running a little hot. It is staying at about 209 and up to 220 at a stop light. I was even riding it at 55-60 MPH for about ten minutes and it never dropped below 195. It is currently nice and cool norhtern california weather at night too, so it seemed as though it should have been running a lot cooler. Normally, it only runs that hot during the middle of a hot day. Anyways, If anyone can think of what I might have possibly done to cause a problem, please respond with some advice or experience in this area.

Thanks,

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Try adjusting your idle man, set it to around 1300RPM +/- 100RPM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 PM
World Superbike Racer

Fiddling with the pipe is not going to prevent the bike from starting, or make it run badly. You could in fact entirely remove the Yosh Slip-on and ride the bike around the neighborhood and it would not make a noticable difference - except maybe to your neighhbors.

Your temps seem normal to me... I run the same temps myself with Engine Ice in 100ish degree weather. For OEM coolant in a cooler enviornment that is about right.

2005 BMW R1200GS
2005 Kawasaki KLR650
1971 Honda CL350

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 12:23 AM

I have the same problem on an '04 with the yosh rs-5, but i don't think its an exhaust problem. i now live in tempe, az, and my temps have been rising quick and staying hot for a while, but i can't deny the fact that i am riding the bike in temp upwards of 100 or above. my bike is a ca bike with 6k on it. basically, it does the same thing. tries to turn, it won't, blip the throttle, and it fires. not sure what it is, but im havin the same problem and if it gives me more problems it might be time for an unfortunate trip to the dealer.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you had the tank off the bike. It sounds to me like your running leaner then normal. Hence the higher temps and rough engine idle. Check for a pinched fuel line in front of the tank. Make sure it fits in the notch in the air box.

How old is the fuel? You could have some bad gas in the tank. I don't think messing with the exhaust pipe had anything to do with your current problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page