still bumping - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy still bumping

hey all, i'm still having problems with my bike. It started as a bumping/catching feeling mainly felt in the clipons. it happens consistently so it must be something that is turning. after many dealer visits(i now have little faith in my local dealers) i got a warped front rotor replaced under warranty. felt better but still feel bumping. i had new pilot powers on and balanced and all but still have the problem. they said they checked the fork at the dealer b/c they thought it was sticking and all was well. Anyway i've looked at the following:
calipers: look good and straight, work properly
rotors: one replaced runout all good
tires: brand new
pads: brand new

so my guesses currently are:
bad/worn wheel bearings, probably front(it has been turning hard when front is lifted)
bent rim(tested this with a reference point and rear is just slightly off, within the 2mm limit though)
maybe bent axle?

so does this seem logical? any other possibilities? it has gotten colder recently and the rough/bumping feeling has gotten worse also, perhaps worn bearing/axle shrinking due to the temperature? any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, dealers have taken it for a ride and say they don't feel it. very frustrated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Explain the bumping more. When is it happening? In a turn? Under braking?

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

it happens all the time when riding normally, under braking, turning, all. It feels like hitting a crack in the road only it happens on all surfaces. It is pretty consistent, like if for example a bur were on the rotor at one spot and the pads were catching on it each turn of the wheel. so i figure it can't be the head bearing or the swingarm bearings. Too consistent for the fork to be sticking. I need to get a front and rear stand, but funds have gotten tight as of late. i've tried what the shop manual says for testing bearings by trying to move the wheel side to side and such, but it doesn't really move. when i pivot the bike up on the kickstand, the front wheel doesn't want to turn as easily as the rear.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Well it does sound like your front wheel bearings. Have you checked the torque on the axle nut. Some mechanics will over tighten or leave them loose to make them wear out quicker. Who was the last person to have your tires off? Did they use a torque wrench?

Last edited by NewRedRider; 10-02-2005 at 08:14 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

the honda dealer before i got tires put on was the last one to mess with it i think. Not sure about them using a torque wrench. When i got the tires put on, they had overtorqued the rear axle, i checked it as soon as I got back with my torque wrench. I had an incident a while back with a disc lock, it caught the caliper and pulled the bike down. It went down on my leg so not much damage, warped that rotor, but could something like that crack a bearing or hurt it in some way? also, I had my bike parked out in a satellite lot at school in the elements (covered and all of course). could just time and such have helped to wear the bearings?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Did you have this problem before you got new tires? Maybe they bent the rotor changing the tires? Get the front tire off the ground and see what the bearings and rotors sound like when you spin the wheel. Use two tie-down straps over a heavy beam and under the triple clamps to lift the front off the ground. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have the dealer/mechanic take a look at it again.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

the problem started before the tire change. it sounds pretty normal i guess, i've pivoted the bike up on the kickstand and spun the front wheel a few times. I hopefully can get it into the dealer sometime, but don't want to spend a bunch of money in shop fees to go down the wrong road, plus my local dealer at home in md and the local dealer here at school in va both like to do "extra" stuff trying to diagnose the problem. I am waiting to get a set of pitbull stands. that way i can take the wheels off myself and examine the bearings and axle to see for myself. would the bearings, bent axle, bent wheel be covered under the warranty? i bought the extended warranty.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Probably not for a bent axle or wheel because it's too easy to hit a pot hole or pop a wheelie. But you'd have a much better chance of having the wheel bearings covered under warranty. It would all depend on your relationship with your service writer.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 01:26 PM

"Grendal34" Hey sorry about the misfortune i'm not an expert but have had bearing problems with other toys! I would like to say it's the bearings, if possible take them out and while in hand spin slowly and try and feel if you have a flat spot or something like that. If not bearings i doubt it's your rim, but if so you will not be able to see a few thousands off by the naked eye. You will have to put a guage to it hopefully it's of some help. good luck and try and do as much as you can on your own being at school is tough i'm away at school as well!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys. I wish i could get a set of stands to pull the wheels off myself, but i don't think that's going to happen right now. hopefully i can get it to the dealer before i truck it home for winter.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 04:25 PM
asf

Sorry to hijack but what is the size of the front and rear axle nut??

I cant get the spec right with the stoopid wrench in my toolkit...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:25 PM
silent master

did you inspect how stiff the forks are??

stiff forks will cause bumping/vibrations on the clip-ons.

08 CBR600RR black and red for now, will be pearl white in a few weeks.

04 CBR600RR B/S **CRASHED**

2007 Nissan 350z Enth
http://www.facebook.com/carpe.dm.photography

2010 Mitsubishi Evo X
http://www.facebook.com/carpe.dm.photography

RIP Phatstud
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

af - i use an 1 - 1/4" socket, had trouble finding one the right size also.

panda_stunter - if you mean the settings, yes, i've left them stock and also tried changing the settings around. Otherwise, the bumping is real consistent and speeds up when at higher speeds as though it occurs somewhere in rotation, not suspension travel.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Get someone to look at this ASAP!

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

i'm trying to, having been riding b/c of it, was going to truck it back to maryland but...got in an accident in the pickup so no dice. It sucks, thanks for all the help anyway.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

just took the bike in, should know what's up by tommorrow. Riding to the dealer, it started vibrating/shaking pretty roughly with higher speeds on the highway. also a burning grease type smell and a rough sound when turning. I'll update tommorrow or thursday.

Last edited by grendal34; 11-08-2005 at 02:56 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

well, just called the dealer. asked him if it was the bearings and he said that he "just took it for a ride and didn't feel anything but some rough roads." He said that the tire pressure was way high to, like 48 in the front and 42 in the rear. he must have checked it when warm or something. Asked how the bearings looked and he said he didn't think it was necessary to check b/c he couldn't feel anything on a short ride. Now he wants to keep it till tommorrow and said he would take it for a longer ride to see if anything feels different tommorrow. I'm fed up with dealers, i need to just buy some stands and do it all myself, anyone want to loan me some money or know who has the best deel on front and rear stands?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:19 PM
asf

Handy Stands $99 for the pair
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

i called him back again and specifically told him to check the front bearings instead of just riding my bike around. Going to save up for some pitbull frond and rear stands.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: Picked it up after 3 days in the shop, the front wheel was out of balance. I said, "that's funny you were supposed to balance it when you put the tires on." No comment from them. Not going back, and it feels better now.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:28 AM

Does the bike ride alright now?
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

it rides better, although i think there must be a small bend or something in the wheel. And that can wait until later. maybe i'll start saving for some marchesini's or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page