dead battery - jump? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dead battery - jump?

The battery died on my bike, can I jump it from a regular car battery without doing any damage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:19 AM
RR
I've Got A Fever

About a month back, I left my brights on for about a half hour which killed my battery. I got the clicking noise when I tried to start it. They say, if you jump it to a car battery, to not start the car. I hooked mine to my brothers truck and that didn't do sh*t - so we started the truck and my bike fired right up. Didn't seem to mess anything up.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:31 AM

Yeah i did the same thing about two weeks ago, my bike is fine.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM

negative.

to jump start it, put it in second gear, pull the clutch and start running. when you pick up some speed, jump on the bike and release the clutch (at once). this has worked for me when the battery isn't totally dead. otherwise, you'll have to get the battery recharged. a battery tender didn't do anything for mine, so I had to take it in to the dealership. luckily, neither dealership in my area charges anything for it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Knee Dragger

best bet is to do it without starting the truck...the charge should be strong enough depending how old the battery is...if it doesn't work then fire the truck up..lol

Dare me....With a Cherry on Top!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh2k4
The battery died on my bike, can I jump it from a regular car battery without doing any damage?
Its not a good idea to jump your bike off a car, they are different voltages and you can seriously eff something up in your bikes electricals. Get a jump and carry, or a battery charger. Is it worth it to risk it? Personally, I don't think it is......
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Moto GP Racer

If your worrie about jumping with a car battery. Just bump start it.
If your to short and can't get the bike rolling ask people to push you.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:39 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Because of the higher current in the car battery, it is possible to fry the regulator/rectifier when jumpstarting from an automobile. This was a big problem with bikes in the 70's and 80's, but newer bikes seem to be more resistant to this problem. I think it is the diodes in the reg/rect that go.

I wouldn't do it.

2003 - Red/Black
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 11:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyKKedRR
Its not a good idea to jump your bike off a car, they are different voltages and you can seriously eff something up in your bikes electricals. Get a jump and carry, or a battery charger. Is it worth it to risk it? Personally, I don't think it is......
Negatory, same voltages...higher amperage in the car tho. I've jumped my bike off my car once and my brothers about 3 times. Got the job done and the bike doesn't seem to be suffering any ill effects.

"This here's my demon face"

Dissatisfaction is the basis of progress. When we become satisfied we become obsolete.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 10:30 PM

well if it is no good.... I got my battery from here

$83 shipped.... I fried my battery

http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.co...asp?battery=84
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

bump startin its the best thing and isn't difficult so I see no reason why you would ever jump it off of a car
my old kawasaki dual sport bike would never start without bump starting it. I kept it at my dads shop which has a nice hill driveway so it was easy to start

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 12:41 AM

ha i jump my bike off my car. and the funny thing is, i use thick stereo wire to jump it with. i start my car, cause with it off, it wont jump the battery. just my $.02
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've realized something about our bikes. If you ride as much as I do, then you can get away with charging the battery with a battery charger every 6 months or so. But if you store it or only ride it occasionally, buy a battery tender to condition the battery.

It seems that if you run the battery down the charging system doesn't recharge the battery like a car or truck.

I took my battery, which was perfectly good, over the help a friend get her bike running. I wound up running mine down trying to crank hers. When I put my battery back in my bike it wouldn't crank. I took it to the local dealer and let them charge it for about 30 minutes, even though my service writer was telling me to charge it overnight. I didn't believe him. Turns out he was right. Two weeks later after countless miles the bike died on me at the gas station one day. Had to push start it in 3rd gear and rode it home. Charged it overnight and haven't had a problem since.

So my conclusion is the charging system only maintains the battery instead of actually recharging it.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:34 AM

the reason to not run the car/truck is due to the battery amp/hr rating . our bikes ' batteries have a 9 amp/hr rating , where a car's charging system puts out well over 10 times that . it's not the bike that suffers , it's the battery in the bike . ( too much amperage will cook a battery ) . and yes , the charging system on a bike is only to replace the loss from ignition , lights ,etc. , not able to recharge it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page