misfire - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
misfire

all,
i search the troubleshooting section and i can't find anything about this thread.. if you see something related to this.. i'd appreciate if you'd cut and paste the link..

i have an 03 with ~14k miles on it. other than riding the local twisties, never ride her hard and only gone once to the tracks with her. rode it for half an hour on a freeway yesterday and was all doing good. .when i got to my destination, she can't keep the idle rpm...looked at water and oil (quick checks) and both were fine. the way it sounds and the gas mileage i got on the way back, it seems like it's something to do with the firing system... can't see any smoke out of the pipe.... i'm thinking this is a spark plug or ignition coil problems.. can anyone tell me how to test these.. i've asked prices already and i hope it's a spark plug problem.. didn't take the plugs yet cause i don't have the tools... thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm just throwing out a guess here but I would check two things first...pull the spark plugs and check them, pull the air filter and check that. oh, and is there a fuel filter on these bikes? check that if there is...

Pablo...2004 cbr600rr

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 04:07 PM

Knowing the RR, my guess is battery. Have you tried to crank it since? If it does turn out to be dead, try charging it and then check that it's getting at least 13.3 V with the bike running. If not, could be a bad stator.

I suggest this first because it's so easy to check, then all the things that Pantablo listed (they are a little more likely, but harder to check), the filter would have to be completely clogged to do what you're experiencing... plugs, coil(s) or power.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 05:04 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was out practicing some wheelies yesterday and my bike was running fine until about a half hour into it... I would be in 2nd gear, snap on it to bring it up, and it would sputter and hesitate until i let off and snapped on it again... same problem maybe?

2004 CBR600RR 'Go Man Go' Paint
Clear Alternatives Taillight
Vortex 15/45 Sprockets
GK 520 Chain
Short Stalk Fronts
Speedo Healer
Yosh. RS-5 Slip On
Custom FE
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the reply all.

CCSEX .. no problem cranking the engine. starts right away but just dies if i let go of the throttle.

Revdup .. not sure if it's the same problem. .

will try pantablo's suggestions.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
With 14k miles that filter should have been changed a long time ago. Very possibly the problem but it could also be some bad gas.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 05:45 PM

yeah check that filter, and if its not filter its a foul'd plug.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:12 AM

i'd look for loose battery cables , and other wiring connections . there isn't a fuel filter ( just a mesh screen surrounding the pump ) so don't waste your time on that . bad fuel is a possibility . you'd be amazed at how dirty air filters get without causing any real drivability problems .
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies all.. been raining down so cal so haven't work on the bike since last weekend... have the plastics off...

i want to work on this bike just to know stuff.. but i think this should be covered with the 5 yr warranty..... don't have that much tools to work on it that's why i'm thinking to take it to stealership... keep the ideas going though..

keep the shiny side up all
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

got the air cleaner out earlier today.. looks alright.. i'll blow stuff off tomorrow but i don't think it's the air cleaner.. still have no way to take the plugs off so i'm taking it to the dealers tomorrow if the cleaned air cleaner doesn't fix it.. thanks again all.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Moto GP Racer

well i hope the stealership can fix your issues...i would really wait for some tools and just troubleshoot yourself...the dealer might charge you up the yang...IMO.but i guess you gotta do what ya gotta do.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e^2(PI)i
got the air cleaner out earlier today.. looks alright.. i'll blow stuff off tomorrow but i don't think it's the air cleaner.. still have no way to take the plugs off so i'm taking it to the dealers tomorrow if the cleaned air cleaner doesn't fix it.. thanks again all.
Did you hold it up to the sun or a bright light. It will appear to be clean but in reality its completely loaded. And never try to clean these filters. You'll just wind up damaging the filter media and allow larger particulates into your engine. Take your filter to the dealer and hold both yours and a new one up to the light. You'll see what I'm talking about. I'd bet $100 your filter is loaded. But that still might not be the problem.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

cleaned the air filter by using a blower (not too strong) and vacuum cleaner. held it up in a bright light (cloudy here in so cal all day). not as good as the new one that i compared it with but it wasn't too bad either so i put the old one back on. when i went to the dealer, one of the mechanics were asking if i have a PC for the micron slip on pipe. i guess he thought that having no pc might have something to do with it. i told him i had the slip on when the bike had 6K miles and never had this problem. he said "maybe over time" having no pc with a slip on might cause some problem but he didn't sound too sure. does any of you guys think having any slip on pipe requires a PC? thanks again for all the help.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
I'd say it's very plausible that you fouled the plugs. If you were running rich over that period of time with the slip-on and then load the filter up causing it to run even richer....It is conceivable. Replace the filter and check the plugs. Certian S/O can require a PCIII. It all depends on how the pipe effects your bikes fuel mapping. My advice would be to have the dealer replace the filter and look at the plugs. Then think about getting a PCIII. It'll pay for itself in gas mileage if your map is way off.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 07:13 PM

PLUGS. Is my guess.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 07:30 PM

i say it would be the plugs as well.

my plugs only lasted for 7k before they got really bad.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
One thing though...If you're fouling plugs that fast you're either running too rich on the fuel map or not running the bike hard enough. This is a high performance machine with a 12.5:1 compression ratio. You can't putt, putt around town without running into problems like this. I have never changed my plugs and the SM doesn't call for them to be changed until 32k miles.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
One thing though...If you're fouling plugs that fast you're either running too rich on the fuel map or not running the bike hard enough. This is a high performance machine with a 12.5:1 compression ratio. You can't putt, putt around town without running into problems like this. I have never changed my plugs and the SM doesn't call for them to be changed until 32k miles.
about my riding, mostly at low gear.. 2nd and 3rd at the local twisties (almost every weekend during the summer) from 10 - 14 K rpm. high speed at 5th and 6th gear only went as high as 130 mph. during the week, it's splitting lanes at 1st and 2nd gear for the half hour ride to work. when splitting lane, i switch to 2nd gear when the rpm goes to 8k.

when i took the bike to the dealer, the guy said it might be related to the slip on without a pc.

i'm still pissed at the dealer here.. the bike has been there for 1 week and everytime i ask about the bike, they say they'll work on it tomorrow.. but that's a different thread that i'm gonna make.

thanks again for all the reply
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:33 PM
silent master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
actually, its 12.0:1.

08 CBR600RR black and red for now, will be pearl white in a few weeks.

04 CBR600RR B/S **CRASHED**

2007 Nissan 350z Enth
http://www.facebook.com/carpe.dm.photography

2010 Mitsubishi Evo X
http://www.facebook.com/carpe.dm.photography

RIP Phatstud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page