charging system.. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question charging system..

Does the charging system on 600rr really not that good at all? because my battery just drained out after a few days. I went to the cycle gear shop and they told me that the charging system on honda's are not that great and he suggested me not to use my high beams unless I really have to and I should buy a battery tender.(which I did) Now, is there anything wrong using high beams all the time with this bike? (03RR) & how long can you have it on? Even if I dont use my high beams my bike wouldn't start after a few days of use so I'm not sure what it is, can anyone help me see the picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 12:44 PM
World Superbike Racer

I've not heard of the electrical system being any weaker or stronger with Hondas than the competitors. I always ride with my high-beams on except when encountering oncoming traffic at night - no problems at all. More often than not the problem is with the battery rather than the charging system.

The battery in my current 03 did require replacing after 2 years but that may be due to the previous owner. The manual states battery life to be 2-3 years, but in my experience they last a little longer. A quick test is to get a voltmeter and check the voltage at the battery. Should be 12-13 volts with the bike off, and 13.8-15.5 with the bike running. If you don't have a voltmeter a $10 automotive alternator tester available from Autozone or Shucks works ok (basically 2 test leads and a strip of LEDs showing voltage).

2005 BMW R1200GS
2005 Kawasaki KLR650
1971 Honda CL350
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

I have an '03, never a problem except for the one time I left the lights on when the bike was off and that was my fault. I have it hooked to a batery tender since it sits alot lately and haven't been able to get it out. People are going to tell u all '03's have a charging problem and to get the '04 reg/rec because it's shielded. It's not every '03 just a handful. Just be aware of leaving you bike idling for long periods because the engine is at such a low rpm t isn't producing much power so it's drawing on the battery. Be smart and u should be fine.

Marshall
Red '03 #678

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the feedback..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page