Question about Signals. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Question about Signals.

Not 100% sure if this is even a problem...I just recently installed a set of LP Short Stalks in the front of my 05RR and there appears to be a couple of odd things going on.Not a big deal,really.Just thought I'd ask.

1. The indicator lights on the dash for the signals are staying on,but not full strength. When I hit the signals to whichever side,that correct side on the dash does still blink properly,and brighter than the indicator lights are when they stay on.

2. My rear signals are staying on like running lights. I can't remember if they came like that from the factory or not,but I reckon only the fronts were also running lights.

As stated above,this is not causing me any problems and the signals work perfect.. I am just curious as to what could possibly be causing this. The wiring was simple and there was no confusion as far as the wiring is concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
you could have the running/blinker wires backwards on the fronts. as for the rears, if they don't blink, you've prob got them wired into the signal or tail light.

HOOORRRAAAYYYY FOR BOOOOOTTIEES!!!

BALALALALALA OMG TERRORIST!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i have the greggs customs in front and thx to the pple on this site i had the whole thing working with the LED on the rear with not much problem..

not sure about the LP short stalk stuff but i'd say it's a loading problem... you might have to experiment with your set up if you want it just the way you like.. what i did was have the whole thing apart last winter and experiment with resistor values (the old breadboard came out.. lol).... different after market stuff has different specs and what you have in your bike can make a difference.. it doesn't take much..
in any case. .good luck.. i know i talked much and probably didn't make sense. my bad..

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:53 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

In case you want to double check the wiring, here's the color code for the '04... I would assume the '05 is the same (or at least follow the same logic). Hope this helps.

Front Right
light blue = blinker
light blue/white = running light
green = ground

Front Left
orange = blinker
orange/white = running light
green = ground

Rear Right
light blue = blinker
green = ground

Rear Left
orange = blinker
green = ground

*Note: the dual filament LP lights have an odd color code:
red = blinker
black = running lights
black/white = ground

Last edited by Comb; 10-30-2005 at 01:56 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Thanks alot,guys. Just to re-assure you,my rear blinkers ARE functioning just fine. I just wasn't sure if they were also supposed to running lights like the front (they are now)..I have only today and hopefully atleast one more day of riding left. I don't suppose this could cause me any problems for the short time I leave them like that,could they? Like I said before,they ARE working perfectly,just the dash lights are kind of staying on..Thanks again.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 08:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm having the same problem, except I ordered single filament for front and rear. I wired the running and turn signals for the front into the positive for the lp. It made the front and rear be running lights, and left the turn signals on the dash on, but blinked when I blink to that particular side. I left for work tonight, and after approx 5 mins, the running part of the blinkers went off, and the dash totally went out except for the clock and blinker indicators and bright light indicator. No neutral or any other lights. Also, the tail light and license plate light went out, which is probably the fuse, but does anyone know why I lost the running lights and dash?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 12:13 AM
World Superbike Racer

something is a miss in your wiring, check your running light connection, it looks like its sending the signal rightback up into your cluster and thats not good for the relays and fuses up there. If you have the dual filaments bulbs it should be a simple wiring job, if you dont have dual filaments then do away with the running lights. If you have the Greggs or Watsens you either loose the running light or need a diode module to cut the load to mimic a running light.

In stock form there are running lights on the front and they are dual filament.

"You motorboating son-of-a-bitch!"
http://www.myspace.com/thegovernor
http://www.teamosg.com

Last edited by RRnelcheeze; 11-05-2005 at 12:18 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 01:14 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Yeah, if you look at the wiring diagram, you'll see that wiring the running light wire and signal wire together to the positive lead, it'll send the running light signal back to the rear lights (thus making them running lights) and back through the turn signal circuit in your dash. That all equals "not good" and "blown fuse" which is why your dash and everything went out.

Also, when the signals stay on like running lights, they can get really hot and even melt the housings (the turn signal light is brighter and hotter than the actual running light light).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 01:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Thanks guys, I figured that's what was going on. I got the single filament not realizing I needed dual for the fronts. Oh well, I'll fix it when I get home tonight. I figured it was a fuse overload, no biggie. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page